• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 274 77.0%

• Total voters

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sir Jimsky480, but you forgot to state what you'd do if you are an "audio enthusiast"!
No need to reply, if you agree my comparison (of cars v. audio) is relevant...;)
Personally, I sometimes believe my 400+HP sled needs more oomph... although I never exceed the speed limit, when I sense trouble ahead!:eek:
Speaking of auto audio it is my expectation that the manufacture builds to a price point.

If you want to upgrade the audio system you are also required to upgrade the trim package.

Even with the upgrade I doubt that a $900 DAC is an option.

Thanks DT

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of auto audio it is my expectation that the manufacture builds to a price point.
If you want to upgrade the audio system you are also required to upgrade the trim package.
Even with the upgrade I doubt that a $900 DAC is an option.
@DualTriode, it appears you are not keeping to your namesake: The $900 option you should be seeking should be a tube-based DAC for your ride!:rolleyes:

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@DualTriode, it appears you are not keeping to your namesake: The $900 option you should be seeking should be a tube-based DAC for your ride!:rolleyes:

Hello,

I did exactly that.

Back when DAC's were 8-bit devices with current output.

I took a transimpedance device (metal film resistor) and changed current output to voltage output to the input of a single end 6DJ8 dual triode. That was the best sounding DAC in town.

For $900 I will dig it out of the cage and send it to you if you like.

Thanks DT

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For $900 I will dig it out of the cage and send it to you if you like.
Sounds like we both go back to early days of DIY for car 'stereo'.
6DJ8 (even w/a cage) is not a good deal @$900 but a J29/DB (w/a cage) most definitely would be!:oops:
Thanx for the offer but after about a dozen successful car audio surgeries, I'm now retired!

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL is going nuts. Now besides the SU-9 pro with the dual ES9039MPro chips at $499, they just released the D400ES with a single ES9039MSPro at $799, and the D400EX, which has the new AK4191+AK4499EX combo at $959.

The only practical difference I can see between the SU-9 Pro and the D400ES is the addition of several other inputs, such as IIS and AES. Interestingly SMSL is the first manufacturer to offer both new flagship DAC chips from ESS and AKM. Whether they offer anything above what we already have with this SU-10, remains beyond my imagination. What’s to improve?

Last edited:

HDavidson

Attachments

• smsl-su-9-pro.jpg
    smsl-su-9-pro.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 237

formdissolve

Forum Donor

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
communication error
only one
Another difference between the SU-9 pro and the D400ES (of unclear significance) is that the SU-9 Pro purports to use the ES9039MPro chip, while the D400ES uses an ES9039MSPro chip. I have no idea what the difference is between the 9039MPro and the 9039MSPro. Any ideas?

Gagga

Where does one find the latest firmware? The SMSL website reads "no content" in the Firmware section under DAC and Google isn't helping. Also, is it possible to update the firmware using a Mac?
I second this, @amirm.

Matthew

Id be very interested to see how the SMSL SU-10 compares to the Topping D90se. Has the giant been toppled?

JoshSF

Still pretty new to this site so apologies if this is covered elsewhere and I haven't found it yet but when this unit gets a SINAD score of 123.8 is it fair to say the unit is 0.2% better than the Topping DX7 Pro+ at 123.5? It would then follow that the SU-10 is 3% better than the DO100. In the "real world" what difference in the SINAD score translates into something audible and how dependent is that on the equipment I have? Is this also dependent on equipment, for instance, it might be audible with $20k worth of equipment but not $5k worth or inaudible in an untreated room but noticeable in a "perfectly" treated studio.

In case it is unclear I love this site and using measurements to evaluate audio equipment and I have Topping DAC that I purchased because of this site. I'm just trying to figure out how to make real world purchase decisions. Of course I want the latest and greatest gadget that has eked out 0.2% of an improvement but does the unit that costs half the price deliver the "same" sound out of my less than perfect system in my very less than perfect room?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still pretty new to this site so apologies if this is covered elsewhere and I haven't found it yet but when this unit gets a SINAD score of 123.8 is it fair to say the unit is 0.2% better than the Topping DX7 Pro+ at 123.5? It would then follow that the SU-10 is 3% better than the DO100. In the "real world" what difference in the SINAD score translates into something audible and how dependent is that on the equipment I have? Is this also dependent on equipment, for instance, it might be audible with $20k worth of equipment but not $5k worth or inaudible in an untreated room but noticeable in a "perfectly" treated studio.

In case it is unclear I love this site and using measurements to evaluate audio equipment and I have Topping DAC that I purchased because of this site. I'm just trying to figure out how to make real world purchase decisions. Of course I want the latest and greatest gadget that has eked out 0.2% of an improvement but does the unit that costs half the price deliver the "same" sound out of my less than perfect system in my very less than perfect room?
Then buy a less expensive DAC if you are concerned about your room. Just kidding... :D Are you using EQ/PEQ?

Top Bottom