• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 372 83.8%

• Total voters

Mikig

I read some articles regarding added power, and I also equipped myself with a Y cable to power a USB device.
But I left it alone: basically I believe that nowadays a manufacturer who sells a USB device like this, which has more than excellent performance, has this situation well in mind, has already done the tests and certainly if he hasn't considered necessary to proceed differently is because he probably didn't consider it a problem, or better yet he didn't consider it necessary to equip the devices with additional solutions.

Toku

Major Contributor
Will I get a benefit in sound to upgrade the power supply or use a battery?
I have personally conducted tests to verify the changes in sound quality due to the differences in power supply that everyone is talking about.
I compared several mobile phone power adapters, linear power supplies, storage batteries, etc., but there was no difference at all. The discussion of sound quality changes due to differences in power supply is completely meaningless with today's well-designed DAC products. If there is a difference, there are other causes.

seamon

I have personally conducted tests to verify the changes in sound quality due to the differences in power supply that everyone is talking about.
I compared several mobile phone power adapters, linear power supplies, storage batteries, etc., but there was no difference at all. The discussion of sound quality changes due to differences in power supply is completely meaningless with today's well-designed DAC products. If there is a difference, there are other causes.
Now what am I supposed to do with my $500 PSU? /s

Still loving my SU-1. I actually ordered two more so I could use one with each of my systems, and I sold my Schiit Bifrost 2/64 which honestly did not sound as good. I get some pops when changing songs on USB but it's just a slight annoyance and not really loud.

I tried powering it with an Anker battery, and it worked fine. Sounded the same as plugging it in though.

Last edited:
You will need highly resolving 500k speakers, 200k amp and a 500k purpose built fully treated room to hear such differences. If that still doesn't work, your ears are not good enough. You have hearing damage or your ears need to evolve more biologically. You didn't know this???

raceskier

Forum Donor
I believe I have finally given up on using my SU-1 with my WiiM Pro in my system. The sound is not the issue. I have experimented with multiple DACs, and all are, to my ear, indistinguishable. The issue has been a compatibility with the WiiM. WiiM has issued regular updates, upgrading functionality, as well as addressing user reported issues. One of the issues WiiM has been working is dealing with the SU-1's ability to detect and decode the various sampling rates/depths seamlessly. Some of the firmware updates have allowed the SU-1 to operate flawlessly. Unfortunately, many have not. The latest firmware update, again clips off a fraction of a second at the beginning of each track. WiiM claims the compatibility with the SU-1 is the issue. Swapping the SU-1 with a Schiit Modi+ solves the issue. Again, there is no issue with the sound of the SU-1. Kind of disappointed that this otherwise excellent inexpensive DAC has this issue.

Toku

Major Contributor
You will need highly resolving 500k speakers, 200k amp and a 500k purpose built fully treated room to hear such differences. If that still doesn't work, your ears are not good enough. You have hearing damage or your ears need to evolve more biologically. You didn't know this???
I know there are many audiophiles out there who think like you. I think ASR will be helpful for people like you.
I am an engineer who has been engaged in research and development of professional equipment for over 20 years at a Japanese company and has experienced various things. Therefore, only clear facts can be stated. But I don't like to slander people just because their ideas are different from my own.

I know there are many audiophiles out there who think like you. I think ASR will be helpful for people like you.
I am an engineer who has been engaged in research and development of professional equipment for over 20 years at a Japanese company and has experienced various things. Therefore, only clear facts can be stated. But I don't like to slander people just because their ideas are different from my own.
It was supposed to be a satirical post, the satirical suggestion of spending more than a million dollars to hear fidelity improvements on a sub 100 dollar dac. You didn't catch that?

Delirium

Some devices have OPA1612 built-in and most have LME49720. Out of the 3 SU-1s I bought, two of them had LME49720 inside. In one DAC I changed the operational amplifier to 2xOPA627 and in my opinion it sounds nicer. There may be less detail in the high end, but the music is easier to listen to. I also replaced the largest capacitors with Rubycon ZLH 2200uF 10V. The biggest change, however, is when I play with Gustard u18. Unlike USB, the sound is precise. There are almost no differences between SU-1 and 4xTDA1541 (NOS) or 4xPCM63-Y. When I play from USB, the action becomes blurry and imprecise (even if the SU-1 itself is powered by a linear power supply). Therefore, I recommend a good digital source with a femtosecond clock for this cheap dac.

Toku

Major Contributor
It was supposed to be a satirical post, the satirical suggestion of spending more than a million dollars to hear fidelity improvements on a sub 100 dollar dac. You didn't catch that?
I'm sorry, but I couldn't understand it with my English ability.
As an elderly Japanese person with limited English proficiency, I sometimes misunderstand native speakers' English.
Thank you for your advice.

rsc1

Some devices have OPA1612 built-in and most have LME49720. Out of the 3 SU-1s I bought, two of them had LME49720 inside. In one DAC I changed the operational amplifier to 2xOPA627 and in my opinion it sounds nicer. There may be less detail in the high end, but the music is easier to listen to. I also replaced the largest capacitors with Rubycon ZLH 2200uF 10V. The biggest change, however, is when I play with Gustard u18. Unlike USB, the sound is precise. There are almost no differences between SU-1 and 4xTDA1541 (NOS) or 4xPCM63-Y. When I play from USB, the action becomes blurry and imprecise (even if the SU-1 itself is powered by a linear power supply). Therefore, I recommend a good digital source with a femtosecond clock for this cheap dac.
You must have some incredible ears!

Delirium

You must have some incredible ears!
Read/watch reviews, e.g. Gustard R26 or reviews of the U18 itself. Such an interface offers a lot. See what kind of quartz is in the SU-1 itself. I think they are not the best, in fact they are not even of average quality. Jitter can be heard without any problem.

seamon

Read/watch reviews, e.g. Gustard R26 or reviews of the U18 itself. Such an interface offers a lot. See what kind of quartz is in the SU-1 itself. I think they are not the best, in fact they are not even of average quality. Jitter can be heard without any problem.
But do you or do you not have incredible ears?

Top Bottom