• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Review (headphone amp)

SmackDaddies

Yes cost and value subjective; not measurements and sound qualities. In all this there is a technical scientific component to consider. Because you pay more does not mean you get more value.
The purchaser decides value, period, full stop. I may think they are wrong, wasteful in their spending, or dress funny. But they decide on value

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's fully balanced and has resistor volume. So no 399 won't happen..
Well from watching Amazon daily. This amp Was prime shippable on Amazon few days before Review. None at all has been sold so far. Meanwhile A50s, A90 even L30 are still selling out like hot cake. Guess im Not the only one saying thats too much $$$.

rmsanger

So just to clarify the A90 has more power at 33 and 50 ohms and had a better Sinad.
Are there any standout measurement to point out where the SP400 actually outperforms the A90 in a significant way?

Kuma

This amp is so weird. Why gimp it with the volume control? Just unleash it SMSL. WTF?

rmsanger

So just to clarify the A90 has more power at 33 and 50 ohms and had a better Sinad.
Are there any standout measurement to point out where the SP400 actually outperforms the A90 in a significant way?

So still trying to compare the SP400 measurements with A90 and I'm not fully grasping why the SP400 is under-performing given the price point and incremental development time.

Regarding the SP400:

"SP400 was mostly made to work with their M400 DAC which spits 5.4 Volts on XLR, with a signal like that SP400 would offer its full power. Element X that I'm using right now can have up to 15V of pure analog gain on its XLR outputs "

Is it possible that the DAC used in the SP400 measurements here handicapped the 33ohm and 50 ohm measurements compared to the A90? If the SP400 were paired with a M400 would it have provided my power via XLR outputs than the A90?

Veri

Master Contributor
The gain on both SMSL SP400 and A90 is almost identical. So using M400 with either will result in very close volume output, no big difference. So the comparison is fair.

JB5150

The gain on both SMSL SP400 and A90 is almost identical. So using M400 with either will result in very close volume output, no big difference. So the comparison is fair.
This is not my experience. I’ve had both at the same time . A90 is MUCH louder.
Even A90 on medium gain is louder. Facts.
80794429-414C-4F4F-86BD-CC1E52C604A6.jpeg

Last edited:

cursive

Forum Donor

If we just compare high gain, balanced in, balanced out on both amps, there is a bit of a difference. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know exactly how that difference translates into loudness, but yeah seen lots of report of the SP400 sounding weaker.

Comparing the specs it looks like 4dB difference.

SP400 high gain Bal in/Bal out = 11.6dB gain
a90 high gain Bal in/Bal out = 15.5dB gain

Veri

Master Contributor
If we just compare high gain, balanced in, balanced out on both amps, there is a bit of a difference. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know exactly how that difference translates into loudness, but yeah seen lots of report of the SP400 sounding weaker.

Comparing the specs it looks like 4dB difference.

SP400 high gain Bal in/Bal out = 11.6dB gain
a90 high gain Bal in/Bal out = 15.5dB gain
This is not my experience. I’ve had both at the same time . A90 is MUCH louder.
Even A90 on medium gain is louder. Facts.
Thanks :) sounds possible but would not seem huge difference?
JB5150, on paper it seems pretty weird if on medium gain A90 is louder, that should not happen; unity gain VS high gain...

Top Bottom