• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Review (headphone amp)

Veri

Master Contributor
But since I have already a Singxer SA-1 I'm not sure if the SMSL sp400 would be a upgrade and more like a sidegrade. But I need a second amp for another room .
The Singxer is surely nice. But I personally love digital volume control as on this amp or the Sabaj A10/20h ones. Once you get used to precision resistor array volume control there's really no going back IMO.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Yeah the DC offset is really off-putting. And that most people recommend to warm the amp up for 20-30 minutes. 30 minutes during a work week is often a nice chunk of my available free time.

But since I have already a Singxer SA-1 I'm not sure if the SMSL sp400 would be a upgrade and more like a sidegrade. But I need a second amp for another room .
As I own the SA-1 and the SP400 I can tell you it's a good combo.
Both sound really good and I can't even say which one I would choose (if I had to).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
As I own the SA-1 and the SP400 I can tell you it's a good combo.
Both sound really good and I can't even say which one I would choose (if I had to).

I feel like the price range between $400 - $ 650 where most of these units are (A90, SA1, Jotenheim 2 etc) , that they are all kinda similar to each other and it's really difficult to choose one. I probably would be fine with all of them.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The Singxer is surely nice. But I personally love digital volume control as on this amp or the Sabaj A10/20h ones. Once you get used to precision resistor array volume control there's really no going back IMO.

Just a note - it isn't digital volume control on SP400 ;-)

Maybe digitally controlled but still analogue volume control

But yes agreed - why settle for less than perfect channel balance ! No matter volume knob position

Veri

Master Contributor
Just a note - it isn't digital volume control on SP400 ;-)
Maybe digitally controlled but still analogue volume control
Ok ok, ladder/resistor network volume control ;)

Arnas

Isnt emi can be a problem with digital wolume control? Ive seen many manufacturers were saying that analong wolume control is simply better including Singxer, benchmark designers.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Isnt emi can be a problem with digital wolume control? Ive seen many manufacturers were saying that analong wolume control is simply better including Singxer, benchmark designers.
You are confusing something.
The volume is controlled by switching different resistors in the signal path with the help of relays.
These relays can be controlled digitally under certain circumstances, but this has nothing to do with digital volume control.

With this type of analog volume control, I think EMI problems are unlikely, assuming a reasonably sensible circuit layout.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So this delivers 7.2V on single ended independent of current and no clipping. Quite nice.
16 ohm: 3.24W (advertised 6w)
32 ohm: 1.62W (advertised 3w)
300 ohm: 173mW (advertised 440mw)
On balanced, 14.4V above 32 ohm, 11V'ish down to 16ohm
16 ohm: 8W
32 ohm: 6.5W
300 ohm: 700mW
These voltage charts are helpful. More reviews should have it. I like that there is no clipping with this amp. I suspect that SMSL wanted to limit the product because of heat. If someone have insight correct me if i'm wrong.
SMSL should be more transparent about the advertised power output. Advertised specs aren't a reality here.

SH9 has the same single ended part but it's allowed to clip. So it reaches higher power output but advertised specs still a stretch. Steep distortion rise after 226mW and advertised 440mW is reached at 10% distortion. We should call this out. I expect more transparency from these Chinese brands. They are good, no reason to inflate already great numbers. Topping did this with the L30. Just unnecessary.

This is also quite overpriced in this market.

jruser

A couple questions:

1. Does the remote have good range? Would it work 10ft away, across a bedroom?

2. Do the two inputs remember their volume separately?

Noob

A couple questions:

1. Does the remote have good range? Would it work 10ft away, across a bedroom?

2. Do the two inputs remember their volume separately?
Just tested #2. Inputs do not remember volume separately. So turn volume down before switching to a higher voltage input.

Noob

The resistor to resistor volume control is what sold me on this amp, and I absolutely love it. I never want to go back. I use an L50 at work for monitoring broadcast audio with headphones, and while that is a great piece of gear at a great price, I definitely prefer my precision volume control at home.

jruser

Do you use the remote with it? Still trying to find out the distance the remote works at.

reasons

So are there any amps similar to this in power that has the high gain enough to drive the susvara?

kenshone

Aside from the extra power, is there any reason that someone who need this instead of the SH-9?

Noob

2k for Dac and amp.
It's very big, maybe too big, but the Flux Labs FA-10 PRO has all the power you would ever need for susvara at $850.
And if you want a sound that is less clean and neutral and has more flavor and warmth, the FA-10 (not PRO version) at $750 and the Burson Soloist x3 at $1,200 can also deliver huge power, but with a bit more flavor and coloration to the sound, which you might enjoy.

As for a DAC, that choice is less of a factor as long as you get a good one. And there are so many DACs already reviewed and ranked on this site that you can easily find one. If you want a recommendation, I use a topping d70s, and I really like the sound and functionality I get from that. But I believe it is no longer available for sale. I'm glad I was one of the lucky few to buy one during it's very limited availability.
But I think any good quality dac will serve you well. The recently reviewed SMSL DO100 is both good quality and more affordable. I also thing the Topping E50 and smsl su9n are also both good options. With Susvara, the main issue is the amp, and you already have my advice for that. There are other amps I can think of that deliver the power, but they are very costly and outside your budget. I also think they are unnecessary. I don't think you need anything better than a FA-10 PRO to properly enjoy the Susvaras.

Top Bottom