• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "Viper Necklampy, poste: 659220, membre: 5872"] Génial mais, est-ce que d'autres amplificateurs de grande mesure ne se déforment pas à aucun gain, non? [/ CITATION]

certainly but it is the first that I know who offers this. This is very interesting for those who have hard-to-drive helmets requiring high gain.

Viper Necklampy

[QUOTE = "Viper Necklampy, poste: 659220, membre: 5872"] Génial mais, est-ce que d'autres amplificateurs de grande mesure ne se déforment pas à aucun gain, non? [/ CITATION]

certainly but it is the first that I know who offers this. This is very interesting for those who have hard-to-drive helmets requiring high gain.
I really don't understand, other thx amps offers different gain and should not distort at any rate, if not for clipping issues. Or is something going on with the Sp400?

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "Viper Necklampy, post: 659304, member: 5872"] Je ne comprends vraiment pas, d'autres amplis thx offrent un gain différent et ne devraient en aucun cas déformer, si ce n'est pour des problèmes d'écrêtage. Ou est-ce qu'il se passe quelque chose avec le Sp400? [/ QUOTE]

I think you will find the answer in the 2nd part of this article. Regards.
https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/smsl-sp400-review-a-flawed-masterpiece/

Lero

Look at this article. They speak in 2nd part about the transparency of the SP400 compared to other THX
https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/smsl-sp400-review-a-flawed-masterpiece/
i undestand that a lot of words makes a good story but this is subjective opinion! we can't get evaluations on precision electronics based on reviews and emotions, measurements talks, "transparency" is a compliment you do to something newer or more expansive than an other...

liu

Many high gain amplifiers clip at very low output power but you don't ever get to see it clipping you thought it would have much higher power where they don't. Sp200 was partially that.
I don't think so. sp200 clips at high output power in high gain.
well the strange thing is sh-9 and sp200 are essentially the same thing. but sh-9 clips at 1.7w@32 while sp200 clips at 3w@32.
any idea why?

SMSL SH-9 Measurements power into 33 ohm.png

SMSL SP200 THX Headphone Amplifier Power at 33 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

McCluskey

After weeks of listening to the SP400 vs SP200, A90, HPA-M1, TA-20, HiBy R5, I have decided to return the SP400.
I do sometimes listen stupid loud, and this amp is not sufficient for my use.

it does sound very clean and well separated, and I’m sure it will have class leading measurements.
but I find it to lack enough headroom for me.
I don’t like running my amps at 85-100% volume.
I, in nearly 45 years of existence, have never had an amplifier (headphone or speaker) that would require even close to 100% on the volume knob.
In fact ALL of them have plenty of output at 50% on the volume knob, EXCEPT the SP400. I’m not saying it’s not loud, it is.
I feel for this amount of money, I should have MORE headroom than SP200. Not less.
Even at 0 Gain the SP200 is louder than SP400 at 0 Gain.

I’m not an audio engineer but,
an amp with 6 watts (no gain) shouldn’t be louder than an amp with 12 watts (no gain)

I do use a lot of Headroom Management in Roon, which causes -6 to -8db reduction in output, but as I said, even 1watt amplifiers seem to have more headroom than this.

I do also get minor ticks through the headphones as volume is raised or lowered.
this is NOT the sound that the relays make without headphones on. It is a LITTLE click through the headphones.

Again, at this price, I expect better.
I really wanted to keep this amp, but feel my money will be better spent elsewhere.
Yea, the issue is your down 6-8 db from the start. I’ll admit the gain is limited. Running +19db out on my ADI-2 Pro and medium gain. Plenty of volume range. Could probably go +13db out and high gain.

Top Bottom