• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

Phony846

I think so. M400 + SP400 is the best set that I've had, clear, with a black background, a large sound stage. I would keep them, I'm completely satisfied. It' probably a defective device. My SP400 was bought in France.

I tried the SP400 with my M400, and my Arya headphones needed the volume up to 75-80 for pleasant listening (high gain). I also have a Topping A90, and for the same volume (in high gain) the dial only needs to be at 11 o'clock. My SP400 is still within the return window from Amazon, and I'm returning it and keeping my 3 month old A90. The price difference of the SP400 over the A90 wasn't justified, but I did like the seamless look + remote with M400.

Artaois

I tried the SP400 with my M400, and my Arya headphones needed the volume up to 75-80 for pleasant listening (high gain). I also have a Topping A90, and for the same volume (in high gain) the dial only needs to be at 11 o'clock. My SP400 is still within the return window from Amazon, and I'm returning it and keeping my 3 month old A90. The price difference of the SP400 over the A90 wasn't justified, but I did like the seamless look + remote with M400.
The a90 does have a whopping +15.5 db with high gain.

Last edited:

THIBAULT

THIBAULT

After weeks of listening to the SP400 vs SP200, A90, HPA-M1, TA-20, HiBy R5, I have decided to return the SP400.
I do sometimes listen stupid loud, and this amp is not sufficient for my use.

it does sound very clean and well separated, and I’m sure it will have class leading measurements.
but I find it to lack enough headroom for me.
I don’t like running my amps at 85-100% volume.
I, in nearly 45 years of existence, have never had an amplifier (headphone or speaker) that would require even close to 100% on the volume knob.
In fact ALL of them have plenty of output at 50% on the volume knob, EXCEPT the SP400. I’m not saying it’s not loud, it is.
I feel for this amount of money, I should have MORE headroom than SP200. Not less.
Even at 0 Gain the SP200 is louder than SP400 at 0 Gain.

I’m not an audio engineer but,
an amp with 6 watts (no gain) shouldn’t be louder than an amp with 12 watts (no gain)

I do use a lot of Headroom Management in Roon, which causes -6 to -8db reduction in output, but as I said, even 1watt amplifiers seem to have more headroom than this.

I do also get minor ticks through the headphones as volume is raised or lowered.
this is NOT the sound that the relays make without headphones on. It is a LITTLE click through the headphones.

Again, at this price, I expect better.
I really wanted to keep this amp, but feel my money will be better spent elsewhere.

What headset you use ?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Nice! Looks like 4 x OPA564 inside, maybe in the loop of OPA1612, but will see exactly when someone will tear this down.

smsl-sp400-balanced-headphone-amplifier-thx-aaa-888-mqa.jpg

Source: Audiophonics

Last edited by a moderator:

JB5150

I'm curious as to what headphones you're using. I returned mine and tried another and with the Sennheiser 58x I'm at low gain 50 Vol fed by the m400. I can't imagine listening to it any louder. 85-100 would blow my ears out.
Most of my listening is with LCD-XC and LCD-X. As I previously stated, I use Headroom Management and volume leveling in Roon, so I lose -6 to -8db there. I also listen to some poorly recorded "classic rock" that requires more power. The album Little Queen by Heart is one of the albums that I had to have SP400 at 90-100 volume. SP200 at 60% has much more headroom. Again, SP400 does get loud, and is SUPER clean. Sounds Superb.(I bet this amp MEASURES better than the A90. It sounds better) I want more output than SP200, and SP400 does not deliver. I would be impressed if they could have retained the output of SP200 with the clarity of SP400. The race for the "best measurements" is disappointing to me. Maybe SMSL will release an "upgraded" version of SP400 like they did with M400? I don't wanna get caught with another prematurely released product like the early M400 with rca output rolloff. They almost got me again.....

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Nice! Looks like 4 x TPA6120A inside, maybe in the loop of OPA1612, but will see exactly when someone will tear this down.

smsl-sp400-balanced-headphone-amplifier-thx-aaa-888-mqa.jpg

Source: Audiophonics
I don't believe any of the current THX topologies use the TPA6120A :)

Reactions: trl

Artaois

Most of my listening is with LCD-XC and LCD-X. As I previously stated, I use Headroom Management and volume leveling in Roon, so I lose -6 to -8db there. I also listen to some poorly recorded "classic rock" that requires more power. The album Little Queen by Heart is one of the albums that I had to have SP400 at 90-100 volume. SP200 at 60% has much more headroom. Again, SP400 does get loud, and is SUPER clean. Sounds Superb.(I bet this amp MEASURES better than the A90. It sounds better) I want more output than SP200, and SP400 does not deliver. I would be impressed if they could have retained the output of SP200 with the clarity of SP400. The race for the "best measurements" is disappointing to me. Maybe SMSL will release an "upgraded" version of SP400 like they did with M400? I don't wanna get caught with another prematurely released product like the early M400 with rca output rolloff. They almost got me again.....
What do you mean by an upgraded m400?

Artaois

??? It is 100% 4* THX 888. Was there ever a question? 1612+opa564 in the loop and feed forward as well as flying supply at +-18V.
John will topping ever make a dac with Crossfade and a parametric EQ like RME? =)
Measurements are so good now that I hope features improve more.

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "Artaois, post: 619222, member: 16731"] Avec la quantité de puissance réclamée, il devrait être en mesure de les alimenter

Yes, it’s very curious

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "Artaois, post: 619334, membre: 16731"] Toutes mes excuses. Je voulais dire crossfeed

Crossfeed is the merger of Process Channels and right of left a stereo audio recording Intercom is the merger of Process Channels and right of left a stereo audio recording

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
did a sample ever make it to wolfx or amir?

Top Bottom