• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

THIBAULT

[QUOTE = "Filodream, post: 603078, member: 6230"] Je fais des tests depuis une heure, mais les 30 premières secondes ont suffi à réaliser que nous sommes à un autre niveau avec m400 et câbles symétriques vers sp400.
Je n'en crois pas mes oreilles, le volume a plus que triplé et le punch et la dynamique sont améliorés. Mon hd800 a besoin d'environ 60 \ 65% de volume à faible gain maintenant pour être fort o_O et ils sonnent magnifiquement!
Je n'ai jamais entendu ces basses dans mes hd800, j'en suis vraiment satisfait.
Hoj8Qwwm.jpg
[/CITATION]
It’s exactly the same thing for me (60 max with low gain). The sp400 is made for the m400. The sound is clear and dynamic , the bass are deep and slamming. I like this association. Only happiness.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've been testing for an hour, but the first 30 seconds were enough to realize we're on another level with m400 and balanced cables to sp400.
I don't believe my ears, the volume has more than tripled and both punch and dynamics are improved. My hd800s needs about 60\65% volume at low gain now to be loud o_O and they sound beautifully!
I have never heard these basses in my hd800s, I am really satisfied.
Hoj8Qwwm.jpg
That's what I thought, haha ;) input voltage definitely helps.

NightlyNurse

Gustard H16 clicks too,but it not a defect, it's just what it does.
You're not understanding. I own a Gustard H16. I'm not talking about the r2r clicking during volume change. I mean literally you can hear clicking and popping through the headphones when changing volume of the SP400. Something it only started yesterday. It's a defect

dmac6419

Major Contributor
You're not understanding. I own a Gustard H16. I'm not talking about the r2r clicking during volume change. I mean literally you can hear clicking and popping through the headphones when changing volume of the SP400. Something it only started yesterday. It's a defect
I get your point, what do you think of the H16,I'm loving mine,glad I didn't get the SP400,thought about the SU9,but I always get everything in sets still waiting on the X16

NightlyNurse

I get your point, what do you think of the H16,I'm loving mine,glad I didn't get the SP400,thought about the SU9,but I always get everything in sets still waiting on the X16
I absolutely love it. I did something awesome when I got it. I ab tested the big 3. Topping A90, Gustard H16, and SMSL SP400. Source was Denafrips Ares II and Gustard A18 MQA. (I know this is subjective. Please don't flame me anyone reading this. It's my opinion and leave it at that). I found the Gustard H16 to be the natural sounding. The tamber/timber characteristics sound life like. The Topping A90 with the most uncolored. Reminded me of the Geshelli Erish with more power. The SMSL SP400 was like adding a sharpening filter to everything. All excellent in different ways :)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I absolutely love it. I did something awesome when I got it. I ab tested the big 3. Topping A90, Gustard H16, and SMSL SP400. Source was Denafrips Ares II and Gustard A18 MQA. (I know this is subjective. Please don't flame me anyone reading this. It's my opinion and leave it at that). I found the Gustard H16 to be the natural sounding. The tamber/timber characteristics sound life like. The Topping A90 with the most uncolored. Reminded me of the Geshelli Erish with more power. The SMSL SP400 was like adding a sharpening filter to everything. All excellent in different ways :)
I concur,been listening to the H16 non stop,A90 DX7 stack sounds good to l leave the H16 on 2 vol,with JBL 305's and that's too loud can you believe that.

Artaois

I've been testing for an hour, but the first 30 seconds were enough to realize we're on another level with m400 and balanced cables to sp400.
I don't believe my ears, the volume has more than tripled and both punch and dynamics are improved. My hd800s needs about 60\65% volume at low gain now to be loud o_O and they sound beautifully!
I have never heard these basses in my hd800s, I am really satisfied.
Hoj8Qwwm.jpg
I started off with the complete stack using XLR and it took high gain and 50 for the Focal Elex. Are Amps "breaking" in a thing? I couldn't test it long because it's going to be a gift.

OP
P

pimy

I started off with the complete stack using XLR and it took high gain and 50 for the Focal Elex.

Focal Elex :
Sensitivity 104 db
Impedance 80 ohms
Loudness 110 dBSPL

Require Voltage: 0.57 Vrms ...

Phony846

So I've had the M400 DAC and A90 combo for a couple of months and was quite happy. But I decided to give the SP400 a whirl, as I'm a bit OCD and I'd like a matching set. I have the Hifiman Arya headphones (via balanced XLR), which are quite power hungry. In high gain mode I have to bump up the volume level to 75 (out of 99) on the SP400 to be comparable to the A90 (in high gain) at 11 o'clock. This is with the M400 maxed out at '80' via XLR cables. I just played a few tracks, and so far the sound seems comparable to the A90. I'll do a bit more critical listening, but I don't consider myself to have golden ears. So I'm not sure I'll detect any differences with the A90.

Artaois

So I've had the M400 DAC and A90 combo for a couple of months and was quite happy. But I decided to give the SP400 a whirl, as I'm a bit OCD and I'd like a matching set. I have the Hifiman Arya headphones (via balanced XLR), which are quite power hungry. In high gain mode I have to bump up the volume level to 75 (out of 99) on the SP400 to be comparable to the A90 (in high gain) at 11 o'clock. This is with the M400 maxed out at '80' via XLR cables. I just played a few tracks, and so far the sound seems comparable to the A90. I'll do a bit more critical listening, but I don't consider myself to have golden ears. So I'm not sure I'll detect any differences with the A90.
The A90 does have +15.5dB on high gain.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
yes. after approximately 2hr or so it's hot enough to heat my m400 if left on top. when i had my fostex hp-a4bl on top it got hot enough that the feet had clearly heated and stuck to the glass top.
Gustard H16 been running for at least 2weeks,my cat likes music too 100.4 F

Top Bottom