• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

This appears to have a stepped attenuator for volume control? Channel balance would appear to be the one last thing the Benchmark HPA4 has on the Topping A90. Could this SMSL be the ultimate amp? Is Amir going to test it?

shinewu

Let's all hope Amir will get to review this very SOON. I think this might what I have been always looking for. And I think we can probably get it at around $400 in a few months. This will then be a killer amp!

If we only care about power and function, I think the Monolith THX amp already nails it. But this simply looks much more sleek!

Googolbyte

Forum Donor
I just want an SMSL amp that can match the performance of the Monolith so I can have a matching DAC/AMP combo. No complaints if it exceeds :D Did anyone review this anywhere? It looks like this amp has been out for months.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I just want an SMSL amp that can match the performance of the Monolith so I can have a matching DAC/AMP combo. No complaints if it exceeds :D Did anyone review this anywhere? It looks like this amp has been out for months.
Uh the SP400 just came out sp200 is a good amp on par or maybe even exceeds the Monolith ,you won't know unless you buy one and give it a listen.

Googolbyte

Forum Donor
Uh the SP400 just came out sp200 is a good amp on par or maybe even exceeds the Monolith ,you won't know unless you buy one and give it a listen.

I had an SP200 and it had quality issues. The volume knob was scratchy, but the actual quality issue was that it kept turning on/off, and some people showed that the SP200 board layout wasn't true balanced. I had it returned and instead got a Monolith. Measurement wise I don't think the Monolith is less than the SP200, but I could be mistaken. I could also just be being very unclear as to which amp I actually got so I'll post the reviews below for comparison.

(What I returned) SP200: (1) Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
(What I got) Monolith 887: (1) Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Edit: Looks like I got dates confused as well :D If the SP400 just came out I'd love to see a review soon.

maxp779

Nice to see they ditched that weird slanted sides thing they had with the sp200. Just make a box and make it good, don't try too hard :)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I had an SP200 and it had quality issues. The volume knob was scratchy, but the actual quality issue was that it kept turning on/off, and some people showed that the SP200 board layout wasn't true balanced. I had it returned and instead got a Monolith. Measurement wise I don't think the Monolith is less than the SP200, but I could be mistaken. I could also just be being very unclear as to which amp I actually got so I'll post the reviews below for comparison.

(What I returned) SP200: (1) Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
(What I got) Monolith 887: (1) Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Edit: Looks like I got dates confused as well :D If the SP400 just came out I'd love to see a review soon.
The sp200 was never balanced, personally I don't play with the volume knob I set it and forget it, I control everything with the dac or remote even the dac if it has a remote, less moving part's, P.S. don't always listen to everyone else.

Artaois

This appears to have a stepped attenuator for volume control? Channel balance would appear to be the one last thing the Benchmark HPA4 has on the Topping A90. Could this SMSL be the ultimate amp? Is Amir going to test it?
I dunno what you just said but I hope so because I ordered the 400 stack. Lol

I needed an upgrade...bad, all around so hopefully this stack ends up being worth it.

wyup

541$ Black-Friday and then regular price of 630$ for a new product without a review? It's like buying blind.
It must be much better than the 499$ king Topping A90. I think these chinese makers are going out of their hats with prices.

SMSL M400 dac was 809$ and then we knew that RCA outs are uneven and it has high impedance output, and high SPDIF jitter. They are on version v2 already..

dmac6419

Major Contributor
541$ Black-Friday and then regular price of 630$ for a new product without a review? It's like buying blind.
It must be much better than the 499$ king Topping A90. I think these chinese makers are going out of their hats with prices.

SMSL M400 dac was 809$ and then we knew that RCA outs are uneven and it has high impedance output, and high SPDIF jitter. They are on version v2 already..
Only way to find out is to buy one and if it has problems returned it, let us know if it works or not it's been specd by SMSL ,chi fi prices are quite good they gotta eat too.

wyup

Returning to China is not that easy. You may end up paying customs and shipping kilos is not cheap either. I returned a dac on AliExpress and didn't fully refund what I paid. They should have sent SP400 to Amirm before release.
They gotta eat but they are not as cheap as they used to, from 200 to 600$ there is a big difference, and they make mass-market electronics, it doesn't cost much in big orders. They are chinese but they want to live on Europe/US.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Returning to China is not that easy. You may end up paying customs and shipping kilos is not cheap either. I returned a dac on AliExpress and didn't fully refund what I paid. They should have sent SP400 to Amirm before release.
They gotta eat but they are not as cheap as they used to, from 200 to 600$ there is a big difference, and they make mass-market electronics, it doesn't cost much in high orders. They are chinese but they want to live on Europe/US.
You gotta to buy from a shop in the EU (AMAZON),why should China sell cheap the western companies ain't and selling inferior products,sometimes you have to take a risk if you need it make the jump,me think you'll be surprised and happy with the outcome.

Last edited:

mamsterla

Veri

Master Contributor
I did order a 400 stack from them. Saw it was coming from China and about died. Lol
Ah, they have a US warehouse but I suppose that, especially with the very high sales volume going on this time of the year, they can't help but ship stuff directly from China as well. If in doubt I would e-mail them and ask about stock levels. I'm sure they'll help/reply.

Top Bottom