• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200 vs Schiit Heresy

poimandres

I find it funny how a thread gets derailed about an amp not even mentioned by the op. It may be better to ask that question in the L30 thread.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I find it funny how a thread gets derailed about an amp not even mentioned by the op. It may be better to ask that question in the L30 thread.
How on earth is that funny? Op has A30 and E30. So it's very logical to recommend L30.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I had both the magni 3+/modi 3 stack and the smsl sp200/m200 stack. The build quality of the schiit stack is vastly superior, including the volume pot. I doubt there is a better stack around objectively and subjectively for less than the cost of the schiit stack.
Son the M200 just came out ,you sold it already I ordered mine 05/5/20 they didn't ship em till 05/14/20 and got it 05/20/20

Last edited:

poimandres

John Yang, It’s funny is an expression as I was being facetious. This is the second thread that I have seen you derail recently. Similarly with the Geshelli Erish thread you are recommending a topping amp (again poor etiquette as you work there), not to mention that you are recommending an amp that hasn’t been released. On a positive note at least you are not bashing another manufacturers product as you did in that thread.

Dmac, I am not certain where you are going with that, no I didn’t sell it I returned the stack. I am also sorry yours took so long to ship as mine shipped on 5/8 via express and I received it on 5/11. I spent plenty of time with the stack and tried to get over the shortcomings, in the end it wasn’t for me.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
John Yang, It’s funny is an expression as I was being facetious. This is the second thread that I have seen you derail recently. Similarly with the Geshelli Erish thread you are recommending a topping amp (again poor etiquette as you work there), not to mention that you are recommending an amp that hasn’t been released. On a positive note at least you are not bashing another manufacturers product as you did in that thread.

Dmac, I am not certain where you are going with that, no I didn’t sell it I returned the stack. I am also sorry yours took so long to ship as mine shipped on 5/8 via express and I received it on 5/11. I spent plenty of time with the stack and tried to get over the shortcomings, in the end it wasn’t for me.
It wasn't released on 5/8 it was released mid may

poimandres

This is my last post derailing this thread, you are misinformed. Please check the smsl m400 & m200 new dacs! thread. In particular take a look at the May 12th posts as I was not the only person who had the m200 at that point.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

This is very different.
On Geshelli thread I didn't recommend topping. Just expressed what I felt about the new amp. It's a huge clash in my head to see other company being able to continue to release a product like that while in my daily like every detail costs another few weeks time. Otherwise L30 would come out March this year. Their old fully transparent models looked way better to be completely honest.
This time it's a person what's to purchase a new amp. The SP200 needs balanced input to perform well as well as the dreaded too much gain and volume control issue. Heresy is a good amp which should be suitable. If he didn't mention A30 or E30 I think that's what I would go with. I think I did in February in some other thread. It's very logical to have L30 with E30, simply.
Lastly, what's so funny or bad about talking about your own amp? You can't even talk about that now? I'm the designer not the company owner or marketing person.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
This is my last post derailing this thread, you are misinformed. Please check the smsl m400 & m200 new dacs! thread. In particular take a look at the May 12th posts as I was not the only person who had the m200 at that point.
I'll let you know how the A90 sounds, have a great day, it'll be here tomorrow.

WoodyLuvr

1590647617007.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
John is so serious because L30 is his brainchild ?

@Coatessey OP was happy with the L30 suggestion and simply did not consider it. Wouldn't call it derailing.

I see the L30 as a much more logical step than SP200 or Heresy based on it being a stack alone, apart from expected performance.
The SP200 is more for balanced operation, the Heresy and L30 would be more similar in comparison.

Top Bottom