• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200 vs Aune X7S vs Schiit Heresy vs Schiit Asgard 3 vs Topping DX3 PRO (new headphones added)

Daimiel

HI!! I'm new in this forum my name is Edu and I'm from Barcelona.
I have a little questions about what head amp is the best option in the price rate ratio in Europe.
I Have a Topping NX4 DSD with Akg K701 and Audio Technica R70X and I very satisfied with this combo but I want to improve the amplification a little bit.
My idea is keep the Topping NX4 as a DAC and connect to an amp.
My budget are around 300€.
The options that I was think are:
SMSL SP200 295€ amp only.
Aune X7S 220€ amp only.
Schiit Heresy 150€ amp only.
Schiit Asgard 250€ amp only, with akm dac 350€.
Topping DX3 PRO amp + dac 210€.
What option is the best price ratio in euros?
Thanks for all ;);).
Edit: new headphones added: Hifiman Sundara, BeyerDynamic DT990 600.

Last edited:
OP
D

Daimiel

HI!! Thanks with your recommendations I will choose between the Schiit Heresy and SMSL SP200, but I have some questions.
The SMSL SP200 justifies the double price of the Heresy?
With my gear note the difference if I buy the SMSL SP200?
Thanks for all guys!!
Your recommendations are much apreciated!!;);):)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
HI!! Thanks with your recommendations I will choose between the Schiit Heresy and SMSL SP200, but I have some questions.
The SMSL SP200 justifies the double price of the Heresy?
With my gear note the difference if I buy the SMSL SP200?
Thanks for all guys!!
Your recommendations are much apreciated!!;);):)
For your application it's not worth the price. If you have Aeon flow or Verum or something like that then it may be worth it. Also Sp200 has 6db gain at minimum, it's difficult to adjust volume. Current and voltage output of heresy is good enough for your headphones. Hope this helps.

Veri

Master Contributor
For your application it's not worth the price. If you have Aeon flow or Verum or something like that then it may be worth it. Also Sp200 has 6db gain at minimum, it's difficult to adjust volume. Current and voltage output of heresy is good enough for your headphones. Hope this helps.
He has Audio Technica R70X though. They can use the power, imo. :)
@Daimiel I would suggest Topping NX4 line-out port to SMSL SP200. In my experience these cables work best to connect 3.5mm line-out to SP200
Either https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b05b.html or https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b05a.html

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@Daimiel I would suggest Topping NX4 line-out port to SMSL SP200. In my experience these cables work best to connect 3.5mm line-out to SP200
Either https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b05b.html or https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b05a.html
R70x is high impedance which is easy to drive.
274mW and 326mW for 300 ohm for instance is not a big difference. Heresy also has better SINAD and more importantly 50mV SNR.
Lastly, heresy uses the same method of generating DC as Atom which is the method I prefer. It doesn't suffer from the leakage current of Smps. For single ended use it's pretty well rounded design.

Last edited:
OP
D

Daimiel

Many thanks for your explanarion ;)

OP
D

Daimiel

HI!! I have a decent quality RCA to 3.5mm, for the SP200 it's better to connect the XLR to 3.5mm(line out) instead of RCA to 3.5mm(line out).
Thanks for your recomendation ;);)

OP
D

Daimiel

Hi Folks! I will buy the SP200 in Amazon and if don't work with my gear I returning it and buy the Heresy.
If I live in the US I buy the heresy for 120$ but in Europe cost 170$.
I think it's better option for the future, if I want to upgrade the dac or buy a better headphone than I have now.
I will comment the results!
p.d: If anyone have a better idea of what amp should go well but I don't put in the list feel free to ask ;);)
Thanks for all guys!! ;);)

OP
D

Daimiel

Hi Guys! Yesterday I bought two headphones more, HifiMan Sundara and BeyerDynamic DT990 600(I love for rock music), now I need a decent amplifier to power these plus the others.
I noted the Sundara is the most sensible to a amp quality(tried with a Marantz vintage amp much better than NX4 amp).
If anyone interested I can compare this 4 headphones.
Any recommendation are welcome.
Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
OP
D

Daimiel

Hii!! Today has arrived The SMSL SP200 and I'm very very happy! The Volume pot works very well and don't have any channel imbalance with iems.
I noted that it's very smooth and don't have any harshes in vocals(wich I was read i forums) and there are a very big soundstage.
I think I had lucky and I recived a good unit.
For any question I'm here.
Thanks for all folks!

Ciclidi

buona sera, sono nuovo nel gruppo e vorrei un consiglio per un amplificatore per cuffie. Possiedo gli at r70x, at msr7b, beyer t51i e grade sr325e e sono pilotati da schiit modi e magni 3 e Dragonfly Red. Quale amplificatore consiglieresti per un cattivo tra 150 e 300 dollari al massimo? Grazie

Veri

Master Contributor
buona sera, sono nuovo nel gruppo e vorrei un consiglio per un amplificatore per cuffie. Possiedo gli at r70x, at msr7b, beyer t51i e grade sr325e e sono pilotati da schiit modi e magni 3 e Dragonfly Red. Quale amplificatore consiglieresti per un cattivo tra 150 e 300 dollari al massimo? Grazie
Buona sera. This is an English website, most people will not understand your message..

OP
D

Daimiel

Hi!! It's better to say your questions in english ;).
I'm from barcelona and I speak catalan and I understand but this forum it's in english ;).
About your question: of this amplifiers I had tried the SMSL SP200 with the Topping NX4, SMSL SU8, Ifi idsd Nano Black Label and Ifi Zen with the Akg K701 and Hifiman Sundara most of the time and I don't like the combination. It's too much analytical and fatigal for me. I recommend the Schiit Asgard 3.

Last edited:

TechEnthusiast

Hi!! It's better to say your questions in english ;).
I'm from barcelona and I speak catalan and I understand but this forum it's in english ;).
About your question: of this amplifiers I had tried the SMSL SP200 with the Topping NX4, SMSL SU8, Ifi idsd Nano Black Label and Ifi Zen with the Akg K701 and Hifiman Sundara most of the time and I don't like the combination. It's too much analytical and fatigal for me. I recommend the Schiit Asgard 3.
Did you end up with the Schiit? If so how do you like it with the Sundara's? Just have to wonder if the A3 is that much better than the Heresy.

Top Bottom