• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200: Do We Get Golden Samples For Review?

tvr2500m

I returned my SMSL SP200 and have already received a replacement. NO problem with service here. It is excellent! Apos Audio has been outstanding.

Pretty much the same thing as before. By the serial numbers, the replacement unit I received is actually a few units prior to the first one.

I LOVE everything about this little amp - except for the volume potentiometer. I got my Drop x THX AAA-789 and have gotten acclimated to it. It's fabulous, too; and nada a quality issue in sight (though the push button switches feel a bit lightweight). I have a slight preference for whatever is going on with the sonics of the SMSL and I prefer the form factor of the SMSL. I could happily live with either of them.

Might the miniature PCB mount TKD fit here? For about $30, I'd consider doing that if it might sort out the issue.

I'm going to hang on to this SP200. I'm going to ping SMSL directly to see what might come up.

The from what I could read on the volume potentiometer, and the only thing I could find, "PYCOS" (??) B203 75C. Here're some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_123555.jpg
    IMG_20191125_123555.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 578
  • IMG_20191125_123535.jpg
    IMG_20191125_123535.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 522

Swtoby

So far I can tell the retail ones have pretty shit pot. My dear friend Oluv got sp200 today and channel balance is absolutely horrible. Audible channel imbalance even at 10 o'clock.
I agree with other users about the imbalance at low volume, but fortunately my unit doesn't have the issues Oluv mentioned with the unit he tried in his review.

MRphotography

I agree with other users about the imbalance at low volume, but fortunately my unit doesn't have the issues Oluv mentioned with the unit he tried in his review.

i can’t really tell if mine has it, but been reading about it a lot today. What’s the easiest way to test for it? Any videos or other threads showing how to test for it? Frustrating wish I would have returned when I had the chance... actually I may still have the chance do to the holiday but I don’t think so.

Swtoby

i can’t really tell if mine has it, but been reading about it a lot today. What’s the easiest way to test for it? Any videos or other threads showing how to test for it? Frustrating wish I would have returned when I had the chance... actually I may still have the chance do to the holiday but I don’t think so.
I used music with a solid center image and slowly turned the volume across its range. I picked something not too loud so I could tolerate it when volume was near max.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd still like to see a stepped attenuator as an option. A single resistor in the signal path is better than any pot.
To quote, "A cliche is a cliche, is a cliche." ;P

A resister is a resister, is a resister ;)

MRphotography

I used music with a solid center image and slowly turned the volume across its range. I picked something not too loud so I could tolerate it when volume was near max.

I actually just tried mine when I got home form work there is a very small amount I believe at listening levels almost not audible from my headphones when I first start turning the volume up but it goes away almost instantly when I turn it up to an audible level where I can hear the pink noise. I figured pink noise would be a good thing to listen to as I can turn it up fairly loud and it is consistent. I also tried it on 3 pairs of headphones to be safe. I could see how this would be really bad news for someone who was maybe a big IEM user as those lower levels on this amp might be critical. Maybe I jumped the gun emailing the seller, I am going to test more tomorrow.

Last edited:

chaotic_angel

I've been eyeing this amp and getting worried with VOL issues, any feedback received from SMSL so far?
do SMSL use special vol pot or better option is available on the market with soldering skill ...?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Is there a downside to running amp at 100% and using DAC as volume control, compared to running DAC at fixed output and using amp's volume control?
Not in a tri-amped home system ;)

Error415

I've been eyeing this amp and getting worried with VOL issues, any feedback received from SMSL so far?
do SMSL use special vol pot or better option is available on the market with soldering skill ...?

I've had zero issues with the volume pot on mine but I'm not using IEM's or low impedance headphones either. My 58x's, HD-650's, m570's, 80ohm DT-770's and 600ohm DT-990's all sound amazing and I don't see myself upgrading for a very long time.

snowsurfer

Zero issues with volume pot or hiss on mine too with HD660s. With Moondrop Kanas Pro I just reduce the volume on the SU8v2 DAC to 30 (out of 38), and keep using the SP200 volume pot as needed without any issues. Yes the pot does feel light and cheap, but it doesn't move and is not noisy at all (my previous Fulla 2 had a very scratchy pot). I guess they had to save money somewhere in order to be able to offer it at this price. Cool with me, the sound coming out of this SMSL combo is spectacular.

Veri

Master Contributor
Zero issues with volume pot or hiss on mine too with HD660s. With Moondrop Kanas Pro I just reduce the volume on the SU8v2 DAC to 30 (out of 38), and keep using the SP200 volume pot as needed without any issues. Yes the pot does feel light and cheap, but it doesn't move and is not noisy at all (my previous Fulla 2 had a very scratchy pot). I guess they had to save money somewhere in order to be able to offer it at this price. Cool with me, the sound coming out of this SMSL combo is spectacular.
Good to hear!

Tony333

Hello
I made some tests with RME ADI-2 PRO (not FS) and SP200.
For test only RME I used XLR cable. For test RME with SP200 I used same XLR cable and jack to RCA cable.
RME can change dBu of output and input. I used 4dBu and 23dBu (on pictures 24).
Maybe somebody explain my tests?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 213
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 151

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hello
I made some tests with RME ADI-2 PRO (not FS) and SP200.
For test only RME I used XLR cable. For test RME with SP200 I used same XLR cable and jack to RCA cable.
RME can change dBu of output and input. I used 4dBu and 23dBu (on pictures 24).
Maybe somebody explain my tests?
Simple explanation: SP200 reached lower than the residue of your ADI-2 PRO.

You may try to load the output down with 32ohm or 16ohm load and have the output 5-9VRMS and see the behavior near clipping and the performance when loaded down.

However, as I measured with apx555 before sp200's distortion is extremely low even when loaded. With 5VRMS and 16ohm, sp200 will still have lower distortion than the residue of adi2pro. So you may not get anything meaningful.

Top Bottom