• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200: Do We Get Golden Samples For Review?

Whodiini

Edited with another 2 days of listening:
Just received my SMSL SP200 to pair with the SU-8 v2. This thing is tiny compared to the monoprice THX. Sonicwise, it is dead quiet and sounds similar to the monoprice, but not quite the same. (2dB less noise I cant hear). A few minor things - balanced and unbalanced have the same output, so it is louder than the monoprice with unbalanced cables. Doesnt have 3 gain settings, only 2. Weirdly slight trapezoidal shape. So slight it is hardly noticeable, The most impactful things that took a bit of listening to uncover - 1) The volume pot is not all that great. Doesnt sound the same at all levels whereas the monoprice did. The fix is to leave it cranked all the way up and control volume with the DAC. 2) I think it is slightly forward/hot/bright compared to the monoprice which is dead neutral. So it depends what DAC you connect to. The SU-8 combo was a bit bright to my tastes whereas the SU-8 and monoprice was better. But for $150 less (bought during singles day) than the massdrop or monoprice, its up to you to decide if the tradeoffs is worth it. The SP200 was a better match to the SMSL M500, the combo sounds amazing.

Last edited:

Is sp200 work fine with focal elear.? I alredy have topping d50 and focal elear Im very interesting sp200 but Im not sure about chanel imblanace will happend with my setup

Thank you

MRphotography

Just received my SMSL SP200 to pair with the SU-8 v2. This thing is tiny compared to the monoprice THX. Sonicwise, it is dead quiet and sounds as good as the monoprice. (2dB less noise I cant hear). A few minor things - balanced and unbalanced have the same output, so it is louder than the monoprice with unbalanced cables. Doesnt have 3 gain settings, only 2. Weirdly slight trapezoidal shape. So slight it is hardly noticeable, All this for $150 less (bought during singles day) than the massdrop or monoprice. For around $450, (SU-8v2+SP200) this is an amazing high quality headphone setup. Coupled with my HIFiman HE-5se I got on adorama for $250, it is amazing quality sound for $700. I need to find a THX type preamp now for my stereo that doesnt cost $4k like the benchmark!

I am rocking the same setup with Sennheiser 6XX cans and loving it so far too! What preamps have you looked at so far?

The new volume pot is a serious flaw with this. I just got mine and I cant get past 7 o clock with a Onkyo A800. A preamp/dac with volume control is 100% required for the SP200 now unless your only going to use headphones needing lots of power. Its not a good option for someone looking for a amp that works great with all headphones.

Mine is also defective in that its got a hiss around 12 o clock (low gain) that turns into a nasty hum when music is played, maybe a ground loop but I generally dont suffer from them. None of my other amps ever have with the same setup. Perhaps some QA issues with these. Shame because its a really good value, but I will be returning it.

J.I.T

is that really hard to make digital volume control part for headphone amp? or way more expensive?
when I see these headphone amps have volume imbalance,
I really hesitate to pick a new product even it has good spec and measurement but imbalance..

Veri

Master Contributor
is that really hard to make digital volume control part for headphone amp? or way more expensive?
when I see these headphone amps have volume imbalance,
I really hesitate to pick a new product even it has good spec and measurement but imbalance..
I feel volume control comes with a big trade-off. Digital volume has pro's but also cons, noise will be limited to the noise floor of the volume control part. Analog control is better in this regard but has obvious QC concerns in terms of balance.

There's no perfect solution imo. Personally I'd prefer to keep an amp on low/unity gain maxed out and control volume over 32-bit digital domain. Works out well with this SP200 amp. But not everyone would like this in terms of user experience.

Dreyfus

Got my unit today and just tested it with my HD 700.

The first 5% are dead. Then mild randomness of balance to 10%. Pretty stable to 25%. Then a sudden jump in volume, followed by a distinct imbalance. Above its pretty much okay. Not perfect but good enough for dayily use.

Unfortunately, even the low gain mode is damn hot! I have to pull down the XLR output of my Babyface Pro to -20 dB to get a somewhat manageable range to work with for Senns. Still pretty loud at 25-30%, though. At 0 dB it completely blows my range of lower impedance / higher efficiency cans away.

"SP200 - so hot right now" :rolleyes:

I think about sending it back and requesting a replacement unit to double-check the imbalance since I really like to look and touch of the unit. However, the pot appears to be the serious Achilles heel of this amp. It feels suprisingly cheap. And the overall volume control is pretty much crap, of course.

Keelo117

Well after what seemed like ages I just got my SMSL AMP got it paired up with my DX3 pro via RCA and Im hearing Static or some sort of noise when nothing is playing!! I have been using my DX3 pro for the last few days as an headphone amp as I was waiting for my SMSL amp and no noise was on my DX3 pro regardless If i was using optical or USB!

Just to clarify the RCA cables, red and white, the red goes into the right and the white goes to left?

Veri

Master Contributor
Well after what seemed like ages I just got my SMSL AMP got it paired up with my DX3 pro via RCA and Im hearing Static or some sort of noise when nothing is playing!! I have been using my DX3 pro for the last few days as an headphone amp as I was waiting for my SMSL amp and no noise was on my DX3 pro regardless If i was using optical or USB!

Just to clarify the RCA cables, red and white, the red goes into the right and the white goes to left?
Static over what headphones? Can you take a pic of the cables?

Also, any reason why you bought the amp? I personally heard no difference between DX3 and DX3 > THX 789. Unless you need a lot more power of course..

Keelo117

Problem solved, but rather pissed!

Well, looks like when using USB/optical OUTPUT to my PC on my DX3 PRO as a dac amp combo it is fine, the moment I use my SMSL amp and set my DX3 pro as a dac, I can only use the optical connection as the noise goes away!

however that means I am limited to the bandwith of optical which sucks... perhaps the cable I was using I got from ebay listed as premium USB A to USB B cable is the problem, shall I try to get another cable to see if it suffers the same problem?

Keelo117

I have the Beyerdynamic 1990 dt pro. I shall post pictures soon give me a moment.

I want an amp that will cover all bases for me + I found the DX3 pro lacked that little OOMPH.

Keelo117

I also forgot to mention the USB A to B cable is 2.0 rather than 3.0 is that a problem?

elira

I also forgot to mention the USB A to B cable is 2.0 rather than 3.0 is that a problem?
Most likely your computer USB port has a lot of noise. You can try with one of those USB purifiers or try another port.

I have one dac(topping D50) with smsl sp200 and Woo Audio WA3. Which is a good way to use 2 headphone amps with one dac rca y splitter or switch box like schiit sys?

Thank you

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have one dac(topping D50) with smsl sp200 and Woo Audio WA3. Which is a good way to use 2 headphone amps with one dac rca y splitter or switch box like schiit sys?

Thank you
splitter

Dreyfus

Sent my SP200 back to the seller yesterday.
The poor volume control and pot quality just didn't give me the confidence that this product is ready for market, yet.

I ended up buying a used but as new HPA V200. Stellar build quality, super clean sound, truly balanced inputs, and the most important thing: adjustable pre-gain! A no-brainer for just 130 Euros extra.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I ended up buying a used but as new HPA V200. Stellar build quality, super clean sound, truly balanced inputs, and the most important thing: adjustable pre-gain! A no-brainer for just 130 Euros extra.
That's a bargain :cool:

tvr2500m

Sent my SP200 back to the seller yesterday.
The poor volume control and pot quality just didn't give me the confidence that this product is ready for market, yet.

That is a deal.

Top Bottom