• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP200: Do We Get Golden Samples For Review?

Toku

Major Contributor
The from what I could read on the volume potentiometer, and the only thing I could find, "PYCOS" (??) B203 75C. Here're some pictures.
Once again, the volume of 20kΩ taper B is adopted.
SMSL has no understanding of audio device volume control.

gino1961

Hi what about using an external passive volume control/attenuator upstream the SMSL and put the internal volume to max or even by-pass it with some wires ?

escalibur

Xii-Nyth

As an advocate for controling volume with a variable output DAC, analog potentiometers are no issue for me. I reccomend everyone get a DAC with volume control so that you can leave your amp at max and have perfect channel balance.
I was thinking of something similar as I was planning on buying this amp while its on sale. It sorta brought light to something I didn't consider which is that volume control is done in a rather primitive way by most of the industry, there's an equal chance of an unbalance on the dac's pot if it just does it at the output with an actual resistance instead of digitally, which I believe a lot of them do? Might be wrong on that one.

Alternatively I'm wondering why not just replace the pot yourself if the rest of the unit is fine, obviously not everyone can solder but (well simple stuff like a wire in a hole everyone learned in my middle school) but I've just never seen it suggested anywhere.

Theres also the option of just having 2 different pots for each channel, if theres no unbalance, theres no inconvience jsut turn both knobs to the same number, if there is, well then there is a built in fix. the 3 solder joints, an extra knob and making a hole in the case have got to only cost like 5$ to do.

Top Bottom