• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

smsl SP200 * balanced out * harsh

i was wondering .. i have two cables for my hd800s , single ended and balanced , when i use the balanced with the balanced connection on the sp200 , the high frequencies are really harsh , like there is to much power . single ended is smoother , it feels * right *. still plenty of details , its like 5% less * clarity* but why its doing that ? i want to understand . is it because its not * true* balanced? i dont think the cables is making the difference here , i dont believe in cable changing sound like that . ( i may have used a wrong term , still kinda new to this :) ) im using xlrs

Last edited:

JIW

i was wondering .. i have two cables for my hd800s , single ended and balanced , when i use the balanced with the balanced connection on the sp200 , the high frequencies are really harsh , like there is to much power . single ended is smoother , it feels * right *. still plenty of details , its like 5% less * clarity* but why its doing that ? i want to understand . is it because its not * true* balanced? i dont think the cables is making the difference here , i dont believe in cable changing sound like that . ( i may have used a wrong term , still kinda new to this :) ) im using xlrs

Have you matched the levels?

For the symmetrical (balanced) output, the voltage between the amplifier and the positive terminal/input of the driver is the input voltage with gain while the voltage between the amplifier and the negative terminal/input of the driver to is the input voltage with the same gain but with inverted polarity (i.e. 0 voltage minus the input with gain). For the unsymmetrical (single ended) output, the voltage between the amplifier and the positive terminal/input of the driver is the input voltage with gain while the voltage between the amplifier while the negative terminal/input of the driver is connected to ground, typically 0 voltage.

The voltage across the driver is the difference between the voltages at the positive and negative terminals relative to the amplifier, respectively. Thus, for symmetrical connection, the voltage across the driver is the input with two times the gain while for the unsymmetrical connection the voltage is only the input with one times the gain, i.e. the voltage across the driver using symmetrical connection is twice as large as that for unsymmetrical connection giving a level difference of 6 dB and a four-fold increase in power.

OP
T

For the symmetrical (balanced) output, the voltage between the amplifier and the positive terminal/input of the driver is the input voltage with gain while the voltage between the amplifier and the negative terminal/input of the driver to is the input voltage with the same gain but with inverted polarity (i.e. 0 voltage minus the input with gain). For the unsymmetrical (single ended) output, the voltage between the amplifier and the positive terminal/input of the driver is the input voltage with gain while the voltage between the amplifier while the negative terminal/input of the driver is connected to ground, typically 0 voltage.

The voltage across the driver is the difference between the voltages at the positive and negative terminals relative to the amplifier, respectively. Thus, for symmetrical connection, the voltage across the driver is the input with two times the gain while for the unsymmetrical connection the voltage is only the input with one times the gain, i.e. the voltage across the driver using symmetrical connection is twice as large as that for unsymmetrical connection giving a level difference of 6 dB and a four-fold increase in power.
i probably did not match , maybe just a feeling i would say . i put my gain to the maximum comfortable level i can enjoy before it starts to hurt . i feel like overall , the high frequencies are more upfront in general ( also while going down and up in volume ) , could be false , i just liked to connect this big ass cable because it looks nice :D but i always come back to single ended . always feeling like its a bit harsh on it .

Veri

Master Contributor

The SP200 has no balanced out, it offers a 4-pin connector for concenience; it is single ended :)

@OP you are imagining it.. unless your balanced cable is broken :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

SP200 is not balanced output. It's just a XLR jack. Dual mono if you wish. So there's no difference in level between different outputs.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's not true balanced so the two outputs should sound more identical than with true balanced output.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Cable can cause issue if your single ended cable has ground joined in the half way of the cable( the "Y" )There can be crosstalk happen when ground impedance is high. That's probably what you are hearing.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Or it's in your mind where you really didn't hear difference your mind made you hearing the difference.

JIW

i probably did not match , maybe just a feeling i would say . i put my gain to the maximum comfortable level i can enjoy before it starts to hurt . i feel like overall , the high frequencies are more upfront in general ( also while going down and up in volume ) , could be false , i just liked to connect this big ass cable because it looks nice :D but i always come back to single ended . always feeling like its a bit harsh on it .

As per the responses by @Veri and @JohnYang1997, the only difference between the XLR and the (1/4-inch) TRS outputs is the connector. Thus, levels will be matched for an identical position of the volume control.

Unfortunately, quick switching may not be possible but you could try setting up a (level matched) blind test. If you can reliably distinguish the outputs without knowing which one is in use, I suggest you contact the manufacturers/sellers of the amp and the cables.

Top Bottom