• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

jawbfl

Owners of the SH-9 what DACs are you using? SU-9 is too expensive so I'm looking at other options.

hawk01

Owners of the SH-9 what DACs are you using? SU-9 is too expensive so I'm looking at other options.
SMSL Sanskrit 10th mkII. reasonably priced and has very good measured performance. i also bought a topping D10s as back up hooked in another system. however, this one has odd popping noises during native playback of DSD files. fortunately, the Sanskrit 10 does not have any similar issues at all. otherwise either DAC fits the bill. i will not be too anal about DACs per se coz i think they should all sound clean unless they are broken. if the affordable stuff works equally well or even exceeds the perfromance of its higher priced brothers then i see no need for spending a ton of money unless you may want balanced connections or other features you may need.

jawbfl

I think RCA leaves performance on the table using SH-9, because only get 2V while with a balanced XLRs you get 4V or more.

hawk01

I think RCA leaves performance on the table using SH-9, because only get 2V while with a balanced XLRs you get 4V or more.
yes i agree and if that will be an issue then you may need to consider a higher tier DAC with XLR outputs in order to maximize this feature. in doing so you will certainly go up in price point. i settled for the single ended outputs for ease of connection and cost concerns. i also have easy to drive headphones so going XLR is not a concern.

aravaioli

I have the SU-9 and a cheaper M200. I can hardly tell the difference between these 2, hehce M200 is better value. I have little interest in MQA decoding but if you do the SU-9 is the only option between these 2.

jawbfl

yes i agree and if that will be an issue then you may need to consider a higher tier DAC with XLR outputs in order to maximize this feature. in doing so you will certainly go up in price point. i settled for the single ended outputs for ease of connection and cost concerns. i also have easy to drive headphones so going XLR is not a concern.
I'm running SH-9 from a 2012 Macbook at max volume, SH-9 at high gain and volume at 65, I couldn't find reliable info but I found a page saying Mac outputs 1.5V so it's 0.5V less than SE DACs, so a decent SE DAC could be enough but I already got the SH9 and want to take advantage of the balanced input.

I have the SU-9 and a cheaper M200. I can hardly tell the difference between these 2, hehce M200 is better value. I have little interest in MQA decoding but if you do the SU-9 is the only option between these 2.
I have no interest in MQA, SU9 has the advantage of outputting 4.5V to reach full power of SH9 plus the matching looks and remote compatibility, but I'm not keen on paying that much.
Currently I'm looking into the Soncoz LA-QXD1, looks like a better value than the M200, any experiences pairing it with the SH9?

archerious

Hey I'm trying to decide between a Gustard H16 or this SMSL SH-9, anyone know if the SH-9 is a linear power supply or switching? I've had issues with hiss/hum with switching mains power supply like the Beyerdynamic A20.

Would prefer linear.

Reason I narrowed my search to these two amps is the remote control.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hey I'm trying to decide between a Gustard H16 or this SMSL SH-9, anyone know if the SH-9 is a linear power supply or switching?
Switching power supply.

archerious

Anyone know if these can drive sensitive IEMs? I was looking at Gustard H16 and saw Amir’s review stated H16 didn’t do too well with IEMs.

Last question, any hiss or hum from switching power supply? My Beyer A20 suffers from this but my Magni doesn’t. Main goal of getting new amp is for the volume control.

Thanks to anyone who replies :)

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey I'm trying to decide between a Gustard H16 or this SMSL SH-9, anyone know if the SH-9 is a linear power supply or switching? I've had issues with hiss/hum with switching mains power supply like the Beyerdynamic A20.

Would prefer linear.

Reason I narrowed my search to these two amps is the remote control.
The SH9 is dead silent with the balanced input and stepped ladder knob.

coomean

Hi, I just recently got this amp and so far so good. Even for the Hifiman HE6se v2, I got enough headroom after EQ.

I have no prior experience with the step-attenuator, but is it supposed to make the audible clicking noise every time I adjusted it?
In amirm's review, he mentioned "The chatter of relays controlling which resistors are being used is rather quiet which is a relief." So I am a little confused.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

jawbfl

Hi, I just recently got this amp and so far so good. Even for the Hifiman HE6se v2, I got enough headroom after EQ.

I have no prior experience with the step-attenuator, but is it supposed to make the audible clicking noise every time I adjusted it?
In amirm's review, he mentioned "The chatter of relays controlling which resistors are being used is rather quiet which is a relief." So I am a little confused.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

I have no prior experience with this type of relays as well but doesn't sound too bad on my unit, audible but I wouldn't worry about it for the channel balance it gives you, you can edit the setting in menu to trigger the relay less often, it should increase the life-span of the relays.

robertospeed

I read that it has not balanced, but the balanced XLR entry has it right? So I can connect it to XLR with the SU-9? But didn't you go balanced headset? Is the headphone outlet only unbalanced? Excuse me, I am Italian and I don't understand the English language, I use the translator and sometimes does not translate well and I don't understand anything. Can anyone explain myself better please?

marcom22

Roberto nel senso che l'uscita bilanciata (al contrario dell'ingresso che è una vera bilanciata) non fornisce le tipiche caratteristiche elettroniche dell'uscita bilanciata (ossia voltaggio RMS maggiore) ma solo quelle fisiche del connettore, ossia evita il ground-looping. PEr rispondere alla tua domanda vai sereno attacca qualsiasi cuffia con ingresso bilanciato, la potenza c'è e non sentirai la mancanza dei 4 Vrms tipici delle uscite XLR ;)

EDIT translate for the others :) :
Roberto in the sense that the balanced output (as opposed to the input which is a true balanced one) does not provide the typical electronic characteristics of the balanced output (i.e. higher RMS voltage) but only the physical ones of the connector, i.e. it avoids ground-looping. To answer your question go calmly plug in any headphones with balanced input, the power is there and you will not miss the 4 Vrms typical of the XLR outputs ;)

robertospeed

Roberto nel senso che l'uscita bilanciata (al contrario dell'ingresso che è una vera bilanciata) non fornisce le tipiche caratteristiche elettroniche dell'uscita bilanciata (ossia voltaggio RMS maggiore) ma solo quelle fisiche del connettore, ossia evita il ground-looping. PEr rispondere alla tua domanda vai sereno attacca qualsiasi cuffia con ingresso bilanciato, la potenza c'è e non sentirai la mancanza dei 4 Vrms tipici delle uscite XLR ;)

EDIT translate for the others :) :
Roberto in the sense that the balanced output (as opposed to the input which is a true balanced one) does not provide the typical electronic characteristics of the balanced output (i.e. higher RMS voltage) but only the physical ones of the connector, i.e. it avoids ground-looping. To answer your question go calmly plug in any headphones with balanced input, the power is there and you will not miss the 4 Vrms typical of the XLR outputs ;)
Ok you thank you so much

Diable

Topping D10 Balanced. For $139 it can't be beat it. Before the D10 Balanced I had a Khadas Tone Board which is also a great dac which now sales for $79.

f78fk

Thx AAA 789 and SH-9 have almost the same price in China, about $280.
My headphones are dt880 250O and AKG K702. Should I choose thx aaa789 or SH-9 without considering the price?

Diable

My headphones are dt880 250O and AKG K702. Should I choose thx aaa789 or SH-9 without considering the price?
Get the SH-9 since it puts out the same amount of power to the ¼" output as it does the XLR unlike the 789 which only puts out it's max power thru the XLR output. Performance wise they're about the same so you're not getting a less amp by going with the SH-9.

Hope that helps.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I would also advise you to use the SH-9.
Integrated power supply, the relay based volume control is better than any potentiometer and the SH-9 played audibly better with my K812 and T50RP than the THX AAA 789 (my personal opinion). And with the performance you are well equipped for future headphones.

Top Bottom