• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Smsl build quality and QC not good as topping ime.
Yes, and while this is impressive, Topping achieves better performance in most specs in L30 at much lower price point through their own innovation and merit, and early in this game. SMSL achieves excellent, but mostly inferior performance, licensing THX tech and using some good parts. This is solid engineering but not Topping.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Feel like you don't need balanced at these specs, and glad to see more options for remote-controlled equipment!

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like stepped-attenuator implemention here, I think it is a must at this kind of performance. I would bet that 0.5dB channel imbalance is more audible than lowering SINAD from 110 to 120. When we have best SINAD available we have to deal with other minor things too.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I really like stepped-attenuator implemention here, I think it is a must at this kind of performance. I would bet that 0.5dB channel imbalance is more audible than lowering SINAD from 110 to 120. When we have best SINAD available we have to deal with other minor things too.
At $300 for a Chinese HPA with no preamp pass through, it is certainly the distinguishing characteristeric.

Agree on likely audibility and value.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Well, it's getting there. Now add a balanced preamp out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about phase? Music reproduction is a lot about timing. Maybe this is one of the more differentiating aspects?

//
It is so negligible that I don't bother.

GimeDsp

The SMSL SH-9 THX headphone amplifier looks like a really nice item.

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Thanks for the review Amir, and for the sample, shenzenaudio. This looks like a nice clean product. I like the mains in, the simplicity of no preamp passthrough, the display, and I am impressed by how well the relay-stepped volume attenuator does with channel balance. I agree with others who have stated the relay-stepped attenuator really adds value. I don't mind the clackiness of the relay-stepped volume attenuators Schiit uses, but I am fine with that being their thing and the SMSL product being less noisy. Of course, the rest of the performance is easy to endorse as well. Great job to everyone at SMSL wo contributed to this!
Thank you as well.:)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Yes, and while this is impressive, Topping achieves better performance in most specs in L30 at much lower price point through their own innovation and merit, and early in this game. SMSL achieves excellent, but mostly inferior performance, licensing THX tech and using some good parts. This is solid engineering but not Topping.
Wish they would adopt higher-res displays like this, though.

gvl

Major Contributor
How does one integrate balanced active monitors with this and a balanced DAC on desktop?

jasonhanjk

Sinad 33ohm 5mW B01.png

Labjr

Major Contributor
Are they using quality relays in this?

EDIT: Looks like Omron Japan relays in the photo on their web site.

Top Bottom