• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir measures amp to the "bend in the knee" ( ie where the distortion starts to sky rocket as the amp clips)- I suspect these manuf. specs are to a set THD % (1% I have seen on others)
Looks like they used -25db 5% thd. They don't state the thd value in their marketing.

I really like the display and the volume control on this product but there are $100 products measure better or similar and have way more power. I hope they keep the overall design and reiterate the power or price in the future. I want something like this. Precise volume control and feedback on display. Topping DX5 has a similar issue but at least it has a good dac inside all in one package. DX5 is overpriced, SH9 is even more overpriced in my opinion. Monolith THX887 is same price and measures better and here power specs:

16 ohms: 8800mW <1% THD
32 ohms: 6000mW <1% THD
300 ohms: 700mW <1% THD
600 ohms: 350mW <1% THD

3x more power. This isn't even a new product. This is an old story. I expect more competitive stuff from SMSL.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Looks like they used -25db 5% thd. They don't state the thd value in their marketing.

I really like the display and the volume control on this product but there are $100 products measure better or similar and have way more power. I hope they keep the overall design and reiterate the power or price in the future. I want something like this. Precise volume control and feedback on display. Topping DX5 has a similar issue but at least it has a good dac inside all in one package. DX5 is overpriced, SH9 is even more overpriced in my opinion. Monolith THX887 is same price and measures better and here power specs:

3x more power. This isn't even a new product. This is an old story. I expect more competitive stuff from SMSL.
Where do these measurements from the monolith THX AAA 887 come from?
Can you please post a link?

RandomEar

Monolith THX887 is same price and measures better and here power specs:

Have your checked the review? The Monolith was measured with 149 mW @ 300 Ω and 1.2 W @ 33 Ω. The SH-9 was measured with 226 mW and 1.7 W respectively - that's about 50% more power in both cases. Only when using balanced HPs connected by XLR, the Monolith delivers significantly more power.

There is a difference in noise and distortion, but both amps are positioned towards the top of the chart. Looks to me like these are similar devices with similar performance and a similar price.

The DX5 has and integrated DAC and costs nearly twice as much - apples, oranges. It's certainly debatable, whether 289 $ for a "plain" HP amp is good value, but these two examples don't put that into question for me.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where do these measurements from the monolith THX AAA 887 come from?
Can you please post a link?
From Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39359
SE specs vs Amir's results:
32ohm: 1600mw vs 1200mw
300ohm: 185mw vs 149mw
Not far off. Amir's results aren't 1% THD. So they share fairly accurate values.

Have your checked the review? The Monolith was measured with 149 mW @ 300 Ω and 1.2 W @ 33 Ω. The SH-9 was measured with 226 mW and 1.7 W respectively - that's about 50% more power in both cases. Only when using balanced HPs connected by XLR, the Monolith delivers significantly more power.

There is a difference in noise and distortion, but both amps are positioned towards the top of the chart. Looks to me like these are similar devices with similar performance and a similar price.

The DX5 has and integrated DAC and costs nearly twice as much - apples, oranges. It's certainly debatable, whether 289 $ for a "plain" HP amp is good value, but these two examples don't put that into question for me.
Well because you are looking at SE output values. Since the review is old we don't have balanced measured 33 and 300 ohm values.

Your words:
Monolith delivers significantly more power.
There is a difference in noise and distortion
these are similar devices with similar performance and a similar price.
I don't really know what you are trying to tell.

In DX5 case, it's dac portion is good and it's a combo unit for $160 difference with same power output. Relatively good product compared to SH9 but still overpriced in my opinion.

And here Schiit IEMagni $120:
Similar overall performance but Schiit have much better 50mv performance
Amir's results vs SH9
33ohm: 2.6W vs 1.7W
300ohm: 352mw vs 226mw

NexusOne

I had the Ifi Ican SE and now the SMSL SH-9 and at first i thought: Omg, this is weak and not powerful. Now i know why. You can only get this power in combination with a Smsl - DAC. I need a good amplifier with a remote and here in Europe there is no big choice.

Is this solution right: Unbalanced --> SH9 / SP400 > H16, balanced: H16>SP400>SH9. If you need both then the SP400 is the way to go, if you only need the unbalanced output then the SH9 and if you need the balanced then the H16. Is that correct?

But for the Susvara you have to buy a Ifi Ican Pro or a Niimbus US 5 Pro which are very expensive?
Would you stay with the Smsl SH9 for an Focal Utopia or is the sound with an SP400 better? Does an upgrade make sense or not?
Which good headphone amplifiers with remote do you know?

Jimster480

Major Contributor

How can you say that the dx5 is overpriced? It basically tops all of the charts and it's $450. That's only a little bit more than a separated stac

The screen and design here are pretty cool. However the thx789 has better performance under load. Like 5 to 6 DB better

NexusOne

Hello,

How can i update My Smsl sh9 From Firmware 1.0 to 1.1? I Need the New Features like Remote Control Code and dimming.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hello,

How can i update My Smsl sh9 From Firmware 1.0 to 1.1? I Need the New Features like Remote Control Code and dimming.
Are you sure you're not confusing this with SD-9?

mr.at

as a reference for everyone here, i bought the topping L30 (2012### series) believing it will power my hifiman he400i 2020 based on its measured performance. in my experience while it was able to do so in high gain, i am running it at almost full bore with no more headroom left which personally is not my preferred ideal. even worse my L30 began to show signs of clipping at high volume settings which never happens with my easier to drive dynamic driver headphone.

i got an SH9 which is more than adequate for the job running at around 50-60% on high gain. it has an immaculate volume control which more than makes up for its lesser ouput than the topping A30pro counterpart. it is also cheaper by a huge margin on my side of the pond.

lessons learned here:

1. while modern chi-fi gear offers stellar measured performance, as @amirm always state in his reviews, there will be unique instances when production units may vary or outright perform dismally depending on how lucky you are with the draw!

2. buy more amplifier power than you will ever need and buy it only once so you save more on the get go. while i got the L30 for its low price point, it fell short of my expectations which ultimately pushed me to buy the SH9.

3. while planar magnetics sound amazing, they are innately difficult to drive in my opinion! while the reviews of HE400i state otherwise, i say YMMV...

as a side note, the new topping A30pro unlike other SS HP amps comes with a top plate peppered with vent holes and for good reason i must say! my L30 warms up quite a bit in ambient tropical weather conditions hovering at 30-34degC. while it is warm to the touch, it is getting “too warm” in my opinion. it is also at this state when i experience the clipping episodes. i have always believed that heat in any form is always an enemy of electronics. more so amplifiers since they will generate heat that needs effective dissipation! kudos to topping for doing its job to accomplish this! the SH9 being more powerful than the L30 also generates a decent amount of heat after a few hours run time. sadly SMSL did not provide any venting whether it may be deemed necessary or not. fortunately, it is easy to tear down the SH9. ergo i am running it in “topless“ mode during listening sessions! i unscrewed the top plate and just take it off everytime i use the amp then put it on again like a lid to protect from dust after use. while there may be a method to this madness, i just keep in mind to avoid the potentially hazardous open innards during operation! in this “topless” state you begin appreciate the arrangement of relays and their respective flashing LEDs with every volume change. eye candy so to speak like christmas lights when you ride the remote volume control!
Say no more:

SMSL SH-9.jpg

SMSL SH-9 2.jpg

I know I'm soooooo late to the party (with the glass top), but had to share it.
Thanks for giving me the idea - love the lights! Also, the holes keep things a tad bit more ventilated now, too.

Reactions: Sak

Lexxz

My amplifier is SMSL SH9,(DAC SMSL SU9n) will it drive HiFiman he6se v2, XLR? Or is it still better to buy other banks

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
My amplifier is SMSL SH9,(DAC SMSL SU9n) will it drive HiFiman he6se v2, XLR? Or is it still better to buy other banks
As someone who owns these headphones and my experience with the Susvara, you need a sufficient amount of current for these headphones to sound any good.

I use the FA-10 which is 10.5 watts Class A amp @50 ohms, you will never even get 5 watts per channel into your ears without going deaf yet the amp itself but it's the current delivery which makes the headphones shine. The only other amp I have used which sounded good, but still not as good as the FA-10, is the Monoprice Liquid Platinum amp, which is 5 watts at 50 ohms if my memory serves correctly.

Basically anthing else I have used with lower power makes the headphones sound like poop. If you want the 100% or maximum performance of those headphones you need an amp with huge current.

Lexxz

I use the FA-10 which is 10.5 watts Class A amp @50 ohms, you will never even get 5 watts per channel into your ears without going deaf yet the amp itself but it's the current delivery which makes the headphones shine. The only other amp I have used which sounded good, but still not as good as the FA-10, is the Monoprice Liquid Platinum amp, which is 5 watts at 50 ohms if my memory serves correctly.
Thank you very much for your advice, most likely I will focus on HIFIMAN Arya Stealth Magnet.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for your advice, most likely I will focus on HIFIMAN Arya Stealth Magnet.
Honestly I can’t comment on the Arya SM, but I will say vs the original the HE6Se is leagues ahead.

A few people had advised me not to purchase that and just do the arya og which would not require a niche amp. However I still chose to take that route and glad I did. Also if you ever were to purchase the Susvara you would be in the same boat.

I have heard the Susvara about 5 or 6 times, and the first 4 times the HE6Se was better without a doubt. But the reason was it was not getting enough power. I heard on a 20 wpc class A, and again that much wattage sounds crazy but this was an amp designed by HiFiman for these super current hungry headphones and at that time I was like man that’s an amazing headphone too.

You can do the math for whatever makes the most sense for you, but at 550 plus the 700 for fluxlabs FA-10 or even FA-10 pro you will spend less money than buying a 1400. Just something to consider, but the stealth may have definitely improved to catch up or at least get closer.

Lexxz

My Headphone System :HD599ce +SMSL SH9+DAC SMSL SU9n+ Rpi4(MooDe8.0.2). The power of the amplifier is sufficient. But as always, the desire to improve. I want to upgrade to HiFiMan, but it’s difficult to make a decision. I put my eye on he6se v2, but I'm not entirely sure of the correct choice.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My Headphone System :HD599ce +SMSL SH9+DAC SMSL SU9n+ Rpi4(MooDe8.0.2). The power of the amplifier is sufficient. But as always, the desire to improve. I want to upgrade to HiFiMan, but it’s difficult to make a decision. I put my eye on he6se v2, but I'm not entirely sure of the correct choice.
If you really need to upgrade from SH-9 -> SP400 with balanced output.

Bigger power supply.

Lots of power !

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those interested, this really is a pretty fantastic deal for a great combo—this amp plus the new SU-9 pro (with the ES9039pro chipset) and a set of XLR patch cables, for $790…

Lexxz

SH9 does not pump He6se v2 headphones as expected and there are definitely no fantasies

3W*2@32 Ohm???

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I mean clearly the other options I have seen are using a stereo amp to power the headphones which you may already own.

Seems as well a lot of positive subjective reviews with a tube pre amp going into any amplifier to power these headphones.

At cam jam I heard the he6se v2 on some expensive soekris units and it too wasn’t that bad. But they also had the flux labs FA-10 on hand as well. Obviously for this headphone.

It also may have not been a soekris amp, not sure if they even make those. If you check out the photos you can see their table.

Not sure what the charts are, but the FA-10 is 10.5 wpc @50 ohms, 16 wpc @32

On low gain I’m using full volume. At medium I’m at 4 o clock on high I’m at 1. *Also note I’ve never used a preamp. Just a dac to HPA

Edit: in addition my research from owners of the headphones suggested at least 7 wpc and an amp with really high gain. I’m not certain how gain functions with power, maybe someone else can provide feedback

Lexxz

I also use the SMSL SH-9 THXAAA-888 +DAC smsl su-9n . But for now, I'm stuck with the purchase of he6se v2

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I also use the SMSL SH-9 THXAAA-888 +DAC smsl su-9n . But for now, I'm stuck with the purchase of he6se v2

Absolutely not a bad headphone, just poor manufacturer ratings. Think the sensitivity is 5 db lower than advertised. They say minimum two watts, which is total BS. I got 3 amps that are 2-3 watts and it sounds like crap.

Virtually the same experience I had with the susvara.

Wasn’t really a fan of the Arya og, not that it’s bad but what I paid was a 100 dollars more than an open box Arya and less than a brand new one.

Bass is earth shattering without being boomy. I don’t got much to say about the mids besides it’s done right, not over or under, and the treble is perfect to me. I’m not treble sensitive, but live recordings and special location recordings ie I played this song recorded in a huge old cathedral and man it sounds spot on to being as close to present as possible.

Also stated earlier the only other amp that made it shine similarly was the HPA4, but that’s like 4 grand lol

Top Bottom