• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think i am able to get a used combo SU-9 + SH-9 at around 350 usd,would this be a good buy rather than a L30ii + a dac around 200usd?
Is this combo still relevant good for 2024 and maybe 2 year more to go...
I don't know how I feel about a used SMSL combo like this; many SMSL products don't age well at least from what I see on the forums here.
I don't even think you need a DAC around $200 these days because of how far the performance has come with the most basic DAC's. If you want a good sound overall; probably the Topping DX1 will do it. If not I would check JDSLabs because they have a whole lineup in your budget and have great customer service.
Geshelli is another option in your budget too... all of which I think would be better than buying a used SU/SH-9 Setup especially with the amount of complaints that you can find around about those units longevity.

adrianlimkb

I don't know how I feel about a used SMSL combo like this; many SMSL products don't age well at least from what I see on the forums here.
I don't even think you need a DAC around $200 these days because of how far the performance has come with the most basic DAC's. If you want a good sound overall; probably the Topping DX1 will do it. If not I would check JDSLabs because they have a whole lineup in your budget and have great customer service.
Geshelli is another option in your budget too... all of which I think would be better than buying a used SU/SH-9 Setup especially with the amount of complaints that you can find around about those units longevity.
alrite bro,thx for d advice,then maybe i will skip the used smsl combo then,and maybe get one good quality amp for long time usage...
kinda hard for me the get those few brand that u mention,as i am not from US,the courier charges and tax would set me away before i plan to order...
*jz listed the price in USD for easier budget set...

not sure about the DAC part, as bro @staticV3 did told me DAC dun really matter much also...
although myself haven't tested everything before, but kinda doubt that es9038q2m vs es9068as vs es9038pro doesn't different much,as the price different quite a lot...
will test it out when i have the chance though, i bet dis is why we all r into audiophile then...

GL00CK

Hi everyone,

I need your help deciding which of these two combinations is the best value for money to complete an SMSL DL200 and a pair of Beyerdynamic dt990 Edition 600 ohm headphones.

A) SMSL H9 (€250)
Or
B) Topping L30 II (€128)

I'm basically looking to use it for watching movies and playing PS5 on my TV.

I'm only willing to pay more for the SMSL H9 if the price difference is worth it for a significant improvement in quality and/or compatibility.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi everyone,

I need your help deciding which of these two combinations is the best value for money to complete an SMSL DL200 and a pair of Beyerdynamic dt990 Edition 600 ohm headphones.

A) SMSL H9 (€250)
Or
B) Topping L30 II (€128)

I'm basically looking to use it for watching movies and playing PS5 on my TV.

I'm only willing to pay more for the SMSL H9 if the price difference is worth it for a significant improvement in quality and/or compatibility.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Why would you want an additional headphone amplifier in addition to the DL200?
The integrated one is very powerful and should also be of very good quality.

Have you already purchased the DL200?

dl95

Why would you want an additional headphone amplifier in addition to the DL200?
The integrated one is very powerful and should also be of very good quality.

Have you already purchased the DL200?
For me, the HE6SE V2 pushes the the DL200 amplifier to the limit and there is a bit of concern that the dynamic range of the headphones is being limited by lack of power. But for the vast majority of headphones the DL200 amp should be more than enough.

Top Bottom