• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

Oukkidoukki

According to measurements here low gain is usually preferable....hint less distortion. Not sure if you can hear it though.

jawbfl

is there an advantage in using low vs high gain mode?
Note RCA will only output 2V while XLRs (balanced) will output 4V, so if you have a DAC with RCA only and power hungry headphones you will have to use high gain while on XLRs you might get away with low gain, anyway the difference is probably impossible to discern.

Remlab

Forum Donor
D97FEF6E-D945-44ED-AAF3-F528A6BD3AA3.jpeg

Thanks, Amir! Just got my Sanskrit 10th Mk2 and my Sh-8s! Happily using my Etymotic ER3XR’s until I get my OPPO PM-3’s back

carlosfjezus

Note RCA will only output 2V while XLRs (balanced) will output 4V, so if you have a DAC with RCA only and power hungry headphones you will have to use high gain while on XLRs you might get away with low gain, anyway the difference is probably impossible to discern.

How much power will I have using 2v dac? Around 2vrms?

trivenge

using xlr, haven't had any issues so far. Using this amp with the topping d30 pro. I have the akg k7xx and the slate vsx.

EricBrodersen

Forum Donor
I wonder how well this would work at driving high efficiency 8ohm or 16ohm loudspeakers? It seems like it would have extremely quiet background niose.

jawbfl

How much power will I have using 2v dac? Around 2vrms?
It will depend on the load, for 33Ohm it provides 1.3W but Amir measured with 4V, I think power falls by a factor of 4 if voltage is divided by 2 because P=V^2/R so I expect 0.325W, I could be wrong please wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm.

trivenge

so you like the sound so far? how it compares with other amps if you have
No issues so far. I don't see much of a difference perceivably to an old schiit amp. Differences are subtle. More gain for sure. I use the low gain setting, xlr, but not xlr to the headphone, which is fine. xlr between the topping d30 pro and smsl sh-8s though. solid combo so far. works well. make sure you do the firmware updates. My k7xx headphones broke today. Waiting for the slate vsx to come in. I might just get the Sennheiser 6xx from drop as a main and slate vsx for mixing etc

trivenge

No issues so far. I don't see much of a difference perceivably to an old schiit amp. Differences are subtle. More gain for sure. I use the low gain setting, xlr, but not xlr to the headphone, which is fine. xlr between the topping d30 pro and smsl sh-8s though. solid combo so far. works well. make sure you do the firmware updates. My k7xx headphones broke today. Waiting for the slate vsx to come in. I might just get the Sennheiser 6xx from drop as a main and slate vsx for mixing etc
Side comment: the 6xx on low gain, max setting, may not be enough for some people who do intense and detailed audio work, and thus, may need to turn on high gain, which is plenty. The issue is the alleged distortion difference, but I anecdotally, don't hear it. Also, I am using xlr cables in the back only. No xlr in the front into the headphones atm. Not sure what difference it would really make. Still waiting for slate vsx to come in for a few months now. Will solder and fix the wiring on the k7xx in a few weeks.

lostwind

Is this amp true balanced or just balanced input. Seems same power within xlr or se out

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this amp true balanced or just balanced input. Seems same power within xlr or se out
Per the review:

"As you will see later in the measurements, the XLR output is for convenience and does not produce more power. There are balanced inputs however which I like"

lostwind

Per the review:

"As you will see later in the measurements, the XLR output is for convenience and does not produce more power. There are balanced inputs however which I like"
Thank you for your reply. I check the store homepage and they says it’s a fully balanced amp. Although, the truth seems no balanced output.

Remlab

Forum Donor
This is the rest of the system. DIY 5-way active. Headphones are HD6XX and OPPO PM3’s.

Attachments

• E36A64D6-4C19-426F-B357-D240A27306C8.jpeg
    E36A64D6-4C19-426F-B357-D240A27306C8.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom