• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

cestmoi

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Same story of A30pro/D30pro, I'm not a proponent of reviews before price announcement.
It's the expectations. When E30 came out people were surprised how cheap it was. But now people are spoiled. How would one expect such machines to be so cheap. Same thing here.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Do you think it's a good unit to use it as a preamp in my car ? I have XLR amplifier and I need one RCA from phono preamp and one XLR from DAC.

elole

So the low noise is good for iems, but how much can you even turn the volume knob for sensitive iems on low gain before it becomes too loud? I had been thinking of the iemagni and if I should even bother with this amp for iems lol

jawbfl

It's the expectations. When E30 came out people were surprised how cheap it was. But now people are spoiled. How would one expect such machines to be so cheap. Same thing here.
This has nothing to do with cost, this is about reviews before the price is announced, which gives the manufacturer an opportunity to increase the price if reviews are more positive than anticipated, I can't say it has happened but can't say it hasn't either.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This has nothing to do with cost, this is about reviews before the price is announced, which gives the manufacturer an opportunity to increase the price if reviews are more positive than anticipated, I can't say it has happened but can't say it hasn't either.
If you think manufacturers will increase price based on a review......
No they won't.
However the issue I see is that Amir may not be able to give the accurate recommendation without knowing the price.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
And basically you do see what happens right? If people think the price is higher than they expected they will complain.
Higher price = fewer purchases
Lower price = more purchases
It's not like people were preordering the product before release and stuck in the situation. People will eventually need to go to a shop and pay with money. A review is not going to change that.

jawbfl

If you think manufacturers will increase price based on a review......
No they won't.
However the issue I see is that Amir may not be able to give the accurate recommendation without knowing the price.

When ASR is the top result on Google, I can't rule out the possibility. For example Schiit made new products just to get good reviews on ASR so I think Amir's reviews have a lot of weight and a good review can swing the price.

ASR reviews are done in a void in a purely technical way, that's Amir style and it's fine, there are other reviewers who dig deeper into the value section of the review, but I agree when he has the price beforehand he can review the product with that price in mind and add make better conclusions.

jawbfl

And basically you do see what happens right? If people think the price is higher than they expected they will complain.
Higher price = fewer purchases
Lower price = more purchases
It's not like people were preordering the product before release and stuck in the situation. People will eventually need to go to a shop and pay with money. A review is not going to change that.

People will complain and still buy, this hobby is all about hype and next best thing. If I made a DAC and was planing to sell it for $200 and then got a good position in a chart next to $300 DACs, why not sell it for $260? it can still look like a good value then, I can get good sales then I will drop price when competition undercuts me. I really hope manufacturers aren't thinking that way, but that's capitalism I'm sure someone will take advantage of that.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I’ve been keeping an eye on this one. I’ve just read-read Amir’s review and measurements, in case I’d miss-remembered anything.

But it does look like, unless you have massively difficult to drive ‘phones, and must use high gain mode, this is pretty much as transparent as any HP amp out there (and frankly it’s still pretty close to that in high gain).

What a machine!

I’ve pretty much decided on this and the forthcoming balanced Topping D10 variant. My guess is that the combo will come in under £300 GDP, or perhaps a slither over.

If anyone would like to point out the folly of my ways, feel free.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

What’s the future?

ASR has had, and has a growing influence on the international hi-fi community. We’re moving towards a position where, in a few years, $300-ish for a DAC + HP amp will get you everything you want, save a few inconsequential bragging rights. And those bragging will be more than aware that that’s it, and not pretend there’s any sort of audiophile gulf in quality between that amount and $30,000.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What’s the future?

ASR has had, and has a growing influence on the international hi-fi community. We’re moving towards a position where, in a few years, $300-ish for a DAC + HP amp will get you everything you want, save a few inconsequential bragging rights. And those bragging will be more than aware that that’s it, and not pretend there’s any sort of audiophile gulf in quality between that amount and $30,000.
Future is to move on to something else.

cestmoi

I’ve been keeping an eye on this one. I’ve just read-read Amir’s review and measurements, in case I’d miss-remembered anything.

But it does look like, unless you have massively difficult to drive ‘phones, and must use high gain mode, this is pretty much as transparent as any HP amp out there (and frankly it’s still pretty close to that in high gain).

What a machine!

I’ve pretty much decided on this and the forthcoming balanced Topping D10 variant. My guess is that the combo will come in under £300 GDP, or perhaps a slither over.

If anyone would like to point out the folly of my ways, feel free.

Balanced D10 variant? Where have you read about it?

Diable

So you're just talking s**t.

Diable

The "demo" material for this "review" was no kess impressive: "listened to Aerosmith, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Nirvana, Metallica, ...". Mostly 2-bit recordings that somehow "magically" provided extraordinary aural details. He was basically able to see the bottom of Winehouse knickers ... in 3D.

How is testing with music people will actually listen to "less impressive"? I hate the stuck up attitude of some audiophiles.

jawbfl

So you're just talking s**t.
"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway."

Top Bottom