• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

taner

I believe most preamps have volume control for the line outs, and that's what this is missing. A lot of power amplifiers or powered speakers do not have volume control which would leave you playing at full volume with no way to turn it down.
Things get confusing more for me. Do you mean SH-8S doesn't have a volume control? This is a headphone amp , not a buffer right? What is the purpose of the knob on front panel?

The reason people don't use headphone amps as preamps because high distortion and noise which is not present any sort of them here. As I mentioned earlier, low impedance is a big plus because it can easily drive any amplifiers' input stage with no problem. A typical preamp device would has much more impedance (100s of ohms) because they attain low level THD+noise only at high impedances hence very light loads.

Last edited:

cursive

Forum Donor
Things get confusing more for me. Do you mean SH-8S doesn't have a volume control? This is a headphone amp , not a buffer right? What is the purpose of the knob on front panel?

The reason people don't use headphone amps as preamps because high distortion and noise which is not present any sort of them here. As I mentioned earlier, low impedance is a big plus because it can easily drive any amplifiers' input stage with no problem. A typical preamp device have much more impedance (100s of ohms) because they attain low level THD+noise only at high impedances/loads.

I'm sorry I totally misunderstood your post. This unit doesn't have line outs at all, which I didn't realize. You raise a good point though, perhaps it's just us getting stuck on convention, and using the headphone outs balanced, or single ended could make a fine preamp out? I must admit I've never used a headphone amp like that.

Like the other commenters, perhaps incorrectly, I mostly think of an amp having dedicated preouts, like Topping A90, or the SMSL SP400, or pass through line outs like the THX 789.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I have an SMSL Sanskrit II which I like but I'm not sure I'd buy again because it reveals one difference between 'offshore' and domestic products: With the former, at least at the Sanskrit price point, customer support is nonexistent. I contacted the company with an easy technical question, once by email and once on their Facebook page. I did not receive a reply to either. In contrast, I received an almost immediate, detailed, thorough reply to a question I put to JDS Labs before buying one of their products. That's worth something to me. In fairness to SMSL, I doubt Topping etc would be any better. But I night have bought a Atom DAC or the Modi 3 if I had been aware. To me, responsive customer service would be my choice over a display and inputs I don't need. You pays your money and...

hawk01

Needless to say, it's price will depend on the outcome of this review. It's logical. Thanks ASR, won't be cheap. I guess at the lower 400's $ range/around 400 €.
if this thing hovers at US$400 territory then buying the SH-9 becomes a no-brainer.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
if this thing hovers at US$400 territory then buying the SH-9 becomes a no-brainer.
Lol I'm guessing $270 tops. They will probably try to make it even lower, given that the A30pro at $350 has an extra gain setting, much more power and both balanced and unbalanced outputs for signal pass through. I think support from Topping has been mentioned to be better before
(Oh forgot to mention the ground lift function too)

KiyPhi

Why would it cost that much when it is just an analogue only SH-9 and carries a lower numbered moniker? I would guess $200-ish but I could be wrong. What is the reasoning for guessing it would be so much?

KiyPhi

The issue with using this as a preamp is not because of the physical connectors but because the line level outputs are passthrough only.

I believe most preamps have volume control for the line outs, and that's what this is missing. A lot of power amplifiers or powered speakers do not have volume control which would leave you playing at full volume with no way to turn it down.
There are line level outputs? I only see inputs? Wouldn't that mean you would be using the headphone out as the line out and thus have volume control?

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why would it cost that much when it is just an analogue only SH-9 and carries a lower numbered moniker? I would guess $200-ish but I could be wrong. What is the reasoning for guessing it would be so much?
My sentiments exactly. At such numbers diminishing returns (if any at all) dominates, and the balance matching of the SH-9 is exquisite

cursive

Forum Donor
There are line level outputs? I only see inputs? Wouldn't that mean you would be using the headphone out as the line out and thus have volume control?
Yes that was my misunderstanding. I thought it had outputs, but it's just two different inputs.

My sentiments exactly. At such numbers diminishing returns (if any at all) dominates, and the balance matching of the SH-9 is exquisite

I also noticed it doesn't use THX tech. Not sure if that makes it any less expensive to make, but it measures very closely to the SH-9 which is nice. I'm with you guys though, it's gotta be a good bit less than the SH-9 to make sense.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
0.6 according to the last chart

That's the measured output impedance (it will be below at least 0.6 ohm, might well be 0.1 ohm or lower), not the input impedance. That will be somewhere between a few kohm and 50kohm or so.

Too bad there is no factory specs found anywhere on this amp.

Veri

Master Contributor
It's not THX AAA. It's Topping L30/A90 inspired (at least seems that way)... so probably has the same low input impedance.

Last edited:

petak

I await the blind test against the lightweight (36 lbs), cheap ($37,950) MSB Select
https://www.msbtechnology.com/amplifiers/select-headphone-amp/

(The Verge review of which belongs elsewhere ... the humour thread? https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/15/12480856/select-dac-ii-amplifier-audiophile-experience )
The "demo" material for this "review" was no kess impressive: "listened to Aerosmith, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Nirvana, Metallica, ...". Mostly 2-bit recordings that somehow "magically" provided extraordinary aural details. He was basically able to see the bottom of Winehouse knickers ... in 3D.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What graph would I look at to infer that? Distortion vs. power?

yes, One could argue that the noise is about 15dB higher which may be the difference in gain + increased noise.
Amir can tell when he measured it or one has to wait till the specs are made public.

Top Bottom