• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

Tks

Major Contributor
Smsl has always had a quirky knob

Tbh that relay based amp with screen on it is great. I think they knocked it out the park with that, and I applaud their willingness to do unique designs (at least unique compared to much of the competition).

EDIT: I also see people raising mentions about no "balanced out". If your amp has balanced in, that's all you really need to care about as that's what accounts for ground loop reductions. All balanced-out would really give is simply more power, which as I said in my prior post, isn't something I think is all that warranted for many headphones in the slightest tbh. I really wish more people could be made aware of this, as I wasn't for the longest time.

This performance at sub $200 is great (if that's the actual price).

taisho

Forum Donor
Now that both DACs and headphone amps hit the wall of audibility in their performance, let's wait for more DAC + amp + pre-amp devices that measure equally well.

taner

I like very much to see how Chinese audio gear manufacturers put Western boutique manufacturers in shame. Western boutique manufacturers deliberately put ridiculously high prices on their average products ever since. Now, rules have changed. Thanks for those manufacturers like SMSL, Topping, Soncoz, Gustard and others for bringing the high quality audio to regular people again after so many years.

Last edited:

taner

Good performance, but the lack of pre-amp functionality with no outputs for stuff like powered monitors would make me pass on it.
It has both balanced and single ended outputs with very low level impedance and exceptionally low noise level. Low impedance is a big advantage here. I think there's no reason to avoid such device as preamp besides some mechanical preferences, eg. extra outputs at back for power amplifier.

Last edited:

KiyPhi

Tbh that relay based amp with screen on it is great. I think they knocked it out the park with that, and I applaud their willingness to do unique designs (at least unique compared to much of the competition).

EDIT: I also see people raising mentions about no "balanced out". If your amp has balanced in, that's all you really need to care about as that's what accounts for ground loop reductions. All balanced-out would really give is simply more power, which as I said in my prior post, isn't something I think is all that warranted for many headphones in the slightest tbh. I really wish more people could be made aware of this, as I wasn't for the longest time.

This performance at sub $200 is great (if that's the actual price).
Seems like a good price estimate. Around $200 since it is like the SH-9 but a little weaker and no screen/ladder volume control. Really good for the price (if accurate) and good planning as I generally find a screen, remote, and perfect channel matching as the biggest drawbacks to the higher performance items and am willing to pay a little more for it, others don't care and want good performance got cheap. SMSL now has a very similar option for both.

Oukkidoukki

What is your estimation, can this drive dt880 600 ohms to its fullest potential?......and enough volume for normal person...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
80mW in 600 ohm = 113dB peak SPL just enough for loud listening levels.

Oukkidoukki

May I also ask....have someone went from jds o2, L30 or atom for example to A90 , sp400 or similar level.....did you feel that there was somehow fuller, richer sound or better staging etc.?........or did it feel excatly the same?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
At the same volume, being below that of the least powerful amp they should sound the same.
When you can go louder it automatically becomes fuller (equal loudness contours)

ReinhardS

Just a general remark:
a dac only needs a few chips today. so i don't want to buy a separate headphone-amp and a pre-amplifier with the same limitations of the cheap volume-potentiometer. this should all be part of a dac and volume control can be handled easily in the digital domain with a few relais for a range switch. Then a headphone amp needs only a few extra parts and little space.

Dzhaughn

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So this is an updated headphone amp to match with the SU-8 DAC? I remember there being an SH-8 amp, but it had a little screen on it if my memory is correct.

It has both balanced and single ended outputs with very low level impedance and exceptionally low noise level. Low impedance is a big advantage here. I think there's no reason to avoid such device as preamp besides some mechanical preferences, eg. extra outputs at back for power amplifier.
The issue with using this as a preamp is not because of the physical connectors but because the line level outputs are passthrough only.

taner

The issue with using this as a preamp is not because of the physical connectors but because the line level outputs are passthrough only.

I don't get what you mean. Amir shows measurements as 4V RMS output which corresponds to the common "line level" XLR audio gear. You can drive amps with this signal level with no problem.

cursive

Forum Donor
I don't get what you mean. Amir shows measurements as 4V RMS output which corresponds to the common "line level" XLR audio gear. You can drive amps with this signal level with no problem.

I believe most preamps have volume control for the line outs, and that's what this is missing. A lot of power amplifiers or powered speakers do not have volume control which would leave you playing at full volume with no way to turn it down.

Top Bottom