• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

liu

Not a relay based volume control, but cheaper digital volume control.
you are wrong. scroll that page down and take a look at the pcb.

H607e2d941db24e3cab1ac2ac7f66d3de5.jpg

omron G6K-2F-Y made in China would only costs $1 (in China sites you could even find way cheaper offerings).
So the total cost of this relay module should be around $10.
And the good thing here is balanced audio requires same amount of relays as single ended for volume control.
Once SMSL designed and tested this circuit, they can just copy/paste it to all their products with no additional design cost.
Manufacturing it adds just $10 to the BOM cost.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not a relay based volume control, but cheaper digital volume control.

It probably would not reach distortion levels it reaches now with volume control IC's in the audio path.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The connector on the front isn't straight, it triggers me. Hopefully they will have better QC.

It's not their QC. It's the stupid connector and its geometry- that's just the way is is.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It's not their QC. It's the stupid connector and its geometry- that's just the way is is.
The person who designed it...I guess some people just want to see the world burn.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At $190 USD this is definitely a steal for balanced outputs and the measured range.

Tks

Major Contributor
Never cared about high gain, most desktop amplifiers that provide 4 pin XLR connectivity usually have more than enough power for anything I could throw at it. So seeing this low gain performance, goodness this is amazing. They're also firing back at Topping in this respect (and it shows as well with the insanely good 50mV spec that I find more interesting these days).

Great stuff, but man does that volume knob feel out of place. Looks like they took it from another product entirely.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never cared about high gain, most desktop amplifiers that provide 4 pin XLR connectivity usually have more than enough power for anything I could throw at it. So seeing this low gain performance, goodness this is amazing. They're also firing back at Topping in this respect (and it shows as well with the insanely good 50mV spec that I find more interesting these days).

Great stuff, but man does that volume knob feel out of place. Looks like they took it from another product entirely.
*Medium gain (relative) ;)

Reactions: Tks

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Outstanding noise floor preformance in a small package with on board power. I'm genuinely impressed. My l30 has lost it's crown jewel :(

Vini darko

Major Contributor

Smsl has always had a quirky knob

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Outstanding noise floor preformance in a small package with on board power. I'm genuinely impressed. My l30 has lost it's crown jewel :(
Interesting that you see it that way. I've always treated the L30 as part of a different category; one solely intended for unbalanced use. To me the A30pro would be a closer competition for the category crown contended here

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Interesting that you see it that way. I've always treated the L30 as part of a different category; one solely intended for unbalanced use. To me the A30pro would be a closer competition for the category crown contended here
Yeah the l30 is still king of SE power amp buffer hill. The hand picked volume pots really help too. Still the smsl is dammed impressive in its own right.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Glad to see SMSL learned Topping's design (a tear down could easily reveal that) and make even better products.
though it's a pity that this one does not include relay based volume control.
source?

Quomz

Except it doesn't have a balanced output.
It does have balanced and SE inputs.
This might be an answer to the post above, referencing SU-8. I was confused too, especially because the price of SH-8s seems to be nowhere to find.

Top Bottom