• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8S Review (headphone amplifier)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This is the rest of the system. DIY 5-way active. Headphones are HD6XX and OPPO PM3’s.
A whole listening room! Something I doubt I will ever have lol, no space for that. Maybe if I one day retire and have no more businesses then a listening room could take up that space.

gtb75

The SH-8s is on sale now for only $130 over at Drop! The estimated ship date is December 23rd, but it's $100 off the current selling price in most places. I ordered one for a second system. Link here: https://drop.com/buy/smsl-sh-8s-amplifier

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
but how would that affect measurements?
Cant really say. Might be more likely to get ground loop noises. Likely have to turn volume knob more to get same volume out of rca input.

gevorgash

The SH-8s is on sale now for only $130 over at Drop! The estimated ship date is December 23rd, but it's $100 off the current selling price in most places. I ordered one for a second system. Link here: https://drop.com/buy/smsl-sh-8s-amplifier
I frankly would not recommend investing in SH-8h. Right now I am trying yo repair mine, which has the power supply burned.
I do not know if anyone has been inside this device, yet, however to me it is a disaster.
The encapsulated power supply states as being an 1A rated +-12V supply, however:
1st, it outputs only the +12V, the -12V is output directly from the transformer as an unregulated pulse, and becomes -12V via the SMD ZENER and Diode marked in blue.
2nd, there are 5V and 3.3V rails derived from the +12V rail, possibly creating a disbalance on the power rails. (Assuming, have not done measurements)
My conclusion and fears are:
The small power supply claimed as 1A rated, is hardly a 0.5A unit. And considering the use of two OPA564 Op-Amps at the output, this simply seems too small for the task.
The use of the Zener Diode as a voltage regulator for the -12V rail and the +12V from the SMPS just does not put any confidence in me about the good intentions of the makers.
There are commercially available symmetrical -+12V power supplies, however, it seems to me that SMSL has tried to save a bit here, and the label on the Power Supply unit is misleading.
In an attached picture is a real 1A rated power supply from a reputable brand to compare.

Attachments

• smsl_power.png
    smsl_power.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 133
  • smsl_bad.png
    smsl_bad.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

RangerAudio

So I own an SMSL SH-8s right now and it seems fine, and I don't seem to have any problems with it. Other than the cool screen and nobs and a few features, would I see any real sonic improvements from upgrading to the topping L70 or Topping a90D?

Last edited:

cestmoi

So I own an SMSL SH-8s right now and it seems fine, and I don't seem to have any problems with it. Other than the cool screen and nobs and a few features, would I see any real sonice improvements from upgrading to the topping L70 or Topping a90D?
I have the same doubt.

Last edited:

cestmoi

Am I missing something, or does SMSL claim twice as much output power as what @amirm measured for the sh-8s (3W x 2 @ 32 Ohm vs 1.4W x 2 @ 33)?

JeffJ

How does this compare with topping dx3 pro+ (amp wise)? From measurement:

power:
dx3pro+ 1.5w
sh8s 1.3w

signal to noise ratio:
dx3pro+ 88
sh8s 95

sinad:
dx3pro+ 117
sh8s 121

Which metrics are more important?

cestmoi

How does this compare with topping dx3 pro+ (amp wise)? From measurement:

power:
dx3pro+ 1.5w
sh8s 1.3w

signal to noise ratio:
dx3pro+ 88
sh8s 95

sinad:
dx3pro+ 117
sh8s 121

Which metrics are more important?

I believe that the metrics are already far beyond our hearing capabilities, so I would stick with the more powerful one.

JeffJ

I believe that the metrics are already far beyond our hearing capabilities, so I would stick with the more powerful one.

Thanks. I'm a little disappointed as well that the sh8s measures only 1.3w compared to 3w smsl claims.

cestmoi

Thanks. I'm a little disappointed as well that the sh8s measures only 1.3w compared to 3w smsl claims.
What a huge difference it is. Maybe the manufacturer measured the power at a (very) different noise level, but such a gap should not occur...

I own the SH-8s and a Sabaj A10d. If I use the Sabaj as reference, my SH-8s does not seem to be more powerfull than the A10d (1.4W @ 33 Ohm).

Top Bottom