• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8 Headphone amp

OP
T.J. Turner

T.J. Turner

what i'm planning to do is use this for a sabaj d5 for both SE and XLR my headphones are: (Dt 1990 pro, 770 pro, Fostex T60RP, HD 600)

Honesly if you can't get the THX amp then The Atom would be a better buy with your headphones. Both the DT1990 pro and DT770 pro are 250 ohm (assuming you have the original) and neither of them have an option to go balanced. I think they will be a little underpowered by the SH-8.

Also if you don't already have a balanced cable for your HD600, a good quality cable will cost you between $70-$100 so you might as well just go for the $100 Atom amp. It has enough power to drive all you headphones with its single ended output.

Last edited:

decebalus

Honesly if you can't get the THX amp then The Atom would be a better buy with your headphones. Both the DT1990 pro and DT770 pro are 250 ohm (assuming you have the original) and neither of them have an option to go balanced. I think they will be a little underpowered by the SH-8.

Also if you don't already have a balanced cable for your HD600, a good quality cable will cost you between $70-$100 so you might as well just go for the $100 Atom amp. It has enough power to drive all you headphones with its single ended output.

i have on the way a balanced cable for the t60rp and the hd600, i'm thinking eventually to mod the dt 1990pro in balanced. The atom is on my list with the smsl SP200, the atom is just cheaper and i like to save when i can but no balance. Once i got the balanced cables i will see if balance is worth to me, if not the atom is the king.

Top Bottom