• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SD 9 or IFI ZEN STREAM

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sold my SD9 and bought an SMSL SMS200 ultra neo. Game over!
It probably depends on which game you are playing. ;)

The OP wanted Qobuz or Tidal support. I don't think you can do those with the SMSL (or Spotify direct for that matter)? Are there work-arounds to support these?

Victor BR

OI am very sorry for my mistake. I found everything good in a streamer using SOTM SMS200 ultra neo. Brilliant.

chocomamey

Maybe Im arriving late to the party , but in a recent review of SMSL SD9 in "iwii reviews" youtube channel ,this guy says that SD9 sounds more "open" and has bigger soundstage in comparison to a raspberri pi (assuming you are using the same dac)but also SD9 has lots of complaints about wifi connectivity drops. And to the contrary,another reviews says IFI Zen Streamer is great but they see it working very familiar to a raspberri pi with volumio and more comfortable to the wallet .If a streamer of that level (IFI or SMSL) would have even better results in paper but in "bro talking" you dont notice so much upgrade in quality of music by your ears ,why spending so much more? (only if the case you care about aesthetics then yes) . But of the two , I would go for IFI .I have SMSL SU9 dac and BT connectivity doesnt work anymore so I wouldnt risk for another SMSL device.

chocomamey

today is my 2nd day listening to the Zen. So far no difference with my Pi4. I did a quick measurement using Rightmark audio analyzer, most of the numbers of the Zen are better than Pi4 but my ears couldn't tell.
thats my worry. You already have it enjoy it

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have had mine for 2 months this may tell me that yours is a latter production run and hence no connection errors. this is my second unit that was probably built in late July. can i have your serial number? if this is true IFI should issue a recall on earlier units. have not heard from them btw. i agree the sound is very very good but for all the trouble and anxiety that this has added on top of Covid. i am tempted to go with a Auralic G1. life is short, this helps. please keep us posted, thank you.
Could you elaborate more on the versions you’re referring to? I bought one of the first run units and had connection issues until I upgraded the firmware. I’m running the latest beta (which can be accessed by connecting via iFi.local/dev and turning on Developer Mode) and connections are flawless. If you’ve found issues despite upgrading the firmware, what else was changed in later hardware versions?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I want to choose a streamer / player for my existing system with dac. I can choose between SMSL SD 9 and IFI ZEN STREAM. What shall I choose? I currently have a Qobuz subscription which I prefer, but may well choose Tidal Hifi if the integration to the player is better. My current streamer is RaspberryPi 2GB with Volumio.

Best Regards
I have an IFI iDSD pro. The software and app aspect are utter crap. Put me off the brand for QA reasons.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I want to choose a streamer / player for my existing system with dac. I can choose between SMSL SD 9 and IFI ZEN STREAM. What shall I choose? I currently have a Qobuz subscription which I prefer, but may well choose Tidal Hifi if the integration to the player is better. My current streamer is RaspberryPi 2GB with Volumio.

Best Regards
I have a Zen Stream that I’m extremely happy with. I am running it via an Audioquest Coffee 0.75m usb cable into a Topping D90se, an iFi Pro ICAN Signature amp and Focal Utopia cans. I considered higher priced streamer options such as Cambridge or Matrix Audio offerings but once I tried this I really couldn’t justify the extra expense, specifically because I use Roon as my music interface and the ZS is one of the few dedicated network audio streamers with Roon built in. The ZS has its own GUI and app that I find fairly limited, but with Roon it knocks it out of the park.

The ZS has a five-setting dial on the back that switches it into a dedicated link to varying network connection protocols—including DLNA and Tidal. I’ve heard some folks gripe about the lack of a Qobuz selection, which I suspect they may add in a future firmware upgrade, but with Roon I don’t need in. I set this switch on the back of the ZS to “Roon” mode, which inactivates all other network protocols to reduce “software jitter”—which by all accounts is in fact a thing.

I have a Roon Server service setup on my iMac desktop that I keep on all the time (you have to make sure to turn on multicast on your router if available to optimize connectivity—which is true of all streamers), although a friend of mine handles his Roon core on a cheap, always-on Raspberry pi. The mac server service on my desktop takes up negligible memory.

So with Roon and the ZS, I have access to Qobuz, Tidal, my own FLAC and DSD file libraries, and my Apple Music library—all of which are streamed in lossless, “bit perfect” mode from one central GUI. It works flawlessly and sounds incredible—and I’m perfectly comfortable using it with my existing premium-grade components. The ZS comes with an impressive array of noise-eliminating circuitry; the only mod I would suggest is to buy a separate iPower X 15 volt power supply for $100.

I would certainly give the ZS a try, especially if you’re open to the Roon architecture. I see no advantages the SD-9 offers over it and I have empirically found iFi to be fairly uncompromising in its attention to quality and superior components, and the fact that there have been six firmware upgrades to the ZS since its launch suggests to me that they are constantly working to expand its capabilities—unlike SMSL, Topping, and Loxjie, who haven’t dropped a firmware upgrade to any of its products released in the last two years other than new drivers for Windows.

rudy

Could you elaborate more on the versions you’re referring to? I bought one of the first run units and had connection issues until I upgraded the firmware. I’m running the latest beta (which can be accessed by connecting via iFi.local/dev and turning on Developer Mode) and connections are flawless. If you’ve found issues despite upgrading the firmware, what else was changed in later hardware versions?
yesterday i went down to the local Nad dealer and borrowed a Node 2i. on sale now so i thought i would bring it back and see if it would work in my hotel environment without all the issues i had with the Zen Stream even with the latest firmware installed. first of all unlike the Zen Stream it was very easy to set up. no configuration, just plug in the ethernet, RCA, and power cord and than launch Roon and select the Bluesound. it plays without crashing, no dropouts, and the DAC is reseasonbly good. so the ZS must be allergic to my network here. anyway i will buy the Node. as a transport the ZS may be a hair more transparent, but its very close. maybe at some future date the Ifi will work here.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yesterday i went down to the local Nad dealer and borrowed a Node 2i. on sale now so i thought i would bring it back and see if it would work in my hotel environment without all the issues i had with the Zen Stream even with the latest firmware installed. first of all unlike the Zen Stream it was very easy to set up. no configuration, just plug in the ethernet, RCA, and power cord and than launch Roon and select the Bluesound. it plays without crashing, no dropouts, and the DAC is reseasonbly good. so the ZS must be allergic to my network here. anyway i will buy the Node. as a transport the ZS may be a hair more transparent, but its very close. maybe at some future date the Ifi will work here.
I think you're going to be happy with the Node. I sure am with mine.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have multicast on in your router? That fixed a lot of issues for me. Glad you’re happy with your setup as is. I hope BlueSound releases the USB output patch soon.

rudy

Do you have multicast on in your router? That fixed a lot of issues for me. Glad you’re happy with your setup as is. I hope BlueSound releases the USB output patch soon.
not sure what multicast is or if its on my router. for us non technical types the Bluesound is the way to go. just took five minutes to set up. and it just works, its stable and the internal DAC beats my old NAD D1050. wish i had done this months ago. would have saved lots time, $$$ and anguish.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not sure what multicast is or if its on my router. for us non technical types the Bluesound is the way to go. just took five minutes to set up. and it just works, its stable and the internal DAC beats my old NAD D1050. wish i had done this months ago. would have saved lots time, $$$ and anguish.
And I say enjoy! I’ve just found that for multi room setups or with streaming, turning on multicast in the IPTV settings in the LAN section solves many problems. Peace! ☺️

rudy

And I say enjoy! I’ve just found that for multi room setups or with streaming, turning on multicast in the IPTV settings in the LAN section solves many problems. Peace! ☺️
since i was running the Zen Stream wired via ethernet, changing the router setting to multicast would not make a difference?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
since i was running the Zen Stream wired via ethernet, changing the router setting to multicast would not make a difference?
Depends on whether you’re running a mesh network. If you’re unit is connected to a node, then yes it may improve connectivity. As an example, I am using Roon over a mesh network. Without multicast enabled, my phone would drop the connection to the Roon Core when I moved from one room of my house to another. Multicast fixed this. It has the greatest benefit for multi room audio integration such as Sonos speakers, Roon, or other setups where a central aggregator is having to deploy signals to separate areas.

If you have the ZS connected to your main router and you’re only listening in one location, I doubt it would change anything. But turning multicast on won’t hurt anything either, so if you’re having any network issues, it’s worth a try.

I must say that with my ZS, updating the firmware made significant improvements to stability all around, as did upgrading my power supply to a 15V iPower X. I have zero issues with mine now and I bought one of the first run units. I have owned the BlueSound Node as well, and the difference in sound quality to my ears is considerable—I also appreciate getting 384khz and Native DSD256 to my DAC, which I can’t achieve with the BlueSound’s limitations with coax or optical connections.

If you’re already happy, I say enjoy!

rudy

i got the Zen Stream to work again last night after i did a factory re-set. it sounded great running into my old Nad D1050, but crashed a couple of times. annoying, up to its same old tricks. i think its a hair better than the 2i, but the Node 2i is stable. in Thailand they speak very little English and the ISP had no clue what a multi cast was? i wanted them to come out and change the setting. but since the 2i well come soon i will use this as a back up.. i am a fan of the Burr-Brown chips that are used in the 2i. i may buy a Zen Signature V2 which uses the same chip to partner with the Zen Stream or 2i? have you heard the V2? what are you using?

Top Bottom