• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SD 9 or IFI ZEN STREAM

Fluty

Smsl sd9 = waste of money

I have a lot of troubles with bluethoot and wifi in this streaming device. Conection get lost frequently and sometimes began a distortion sound very noisy and harmfull

Bad Quality. Never SMSL again.
I came to the same conclusion with an SMSL SD9 and returned it to the dealer. Lots of dropouts, clicks and bangs (even with LAN) that I thought would destroy my speakers. Since then am using an iFi Zen streamer with total success, and really easy to set up and use.

Frank Sol

I just got the zen. I’m returning it. After 4 hours I cannot get WiFi to work. This was the most frustrating experience.

I've owned a Zen Stream for months... It is a little quirky when setting up for the 1st time. Not intuitive for the 'avg Joe' like me

Best bet is to set it up first wired to LAN, get all updates then go to WiFi setup

I like mine... I use it with JRiver MC

Booker

Forum Donor
Just receive the ZEN Stream unit, but any USB DAC was not detected, any of those - RME ADI-2 DAC 2, AQ Dragonfly, NuForce HDP.
Latest firmware.

Booker

Forum Donor
Just receive the ZEN Stream unit, but any USB DAC was not detected, any of those - RME ADI-2 DAC 2, AQ Dragonfly, NuForce HDP.
Latest firmware.
Partially fixed by instruction in the video.

VodkaChile

I came to the same conclusion with an SMSL SD9 and returned it to the dealer. Lots of dropouts, clicks and bangs (even with LAN) that I thought would destroy my speakers. Since then am using an iFi Zen streamer with total success, and really easy to set up and use.

Thanks for this information. At first i thought was the only one with this experience since in the forum there's lot of information about SMSL products
By the way, experiences like ours take away credibility to the brand on a product ... like USD 400? Even a 99 USD streamer makes a better job.
Sad

Kind Regards

Last edited:

rudy

The

I use the Zen Stream as a network bridge with a linear power supply (ooh snakes) as I don't really find it convincing as a streamer on its own. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...power-supply-for-topping-d50-d50s-dx3-pro-d30
It sounds way superior to the switching wall wart supplied and the bluesound node for that matter (yes I know it's all one's and zeros).
However the functionality was nowhere near that of the bluesound until I signed up for Roon and realized that the network WAS my streaming source and treated it accordingly with power supplies,cables etc.
Isolating the PC from DAC has huge benefits in sound quality and practicality and Roon ads seamless integration and multiroom controlability.
i wonder if the Bluesound Node with the PSU upgrade would trump the IFI Zen Stream?

blanc

What about the audio performance of SD9 if used only for local library such SSD?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i wonder if the Bluesound Node with the PSU upgrade would trump the IFI Zen Stream?
There’s nothing to trump. The ZS is a pure network audio transport, basically just a Volumio-based microcomputer that iFi prebuilt for you, with some arcane “ANC” and “anti jitter” reclocking something-or-another they added to the digital outputs, plus a very nicely executed Roon bridge built in.

There are no better “sounding” options than this—as a pure streamer, the only differentiating factors between the ZS and other higher priced equivalents are more busy and expensive hardware GUIs, maybe some DSP options, and whether they have an integrated DAC built in.

Otherwise, since they all exist purely in the digital domain, they’re all going to sound exactly the same by definition. Based on sound quality alone, there’s no reason to spend more than the very fairly-priced $399 the ZS costs, unless you’re in the market for an integrated DAC. Even PS Audio, the Kings of Snake Oil, recommend the ZS as a Roon Bridge.

I “upgraded” to the Neo Stream for admittedly silly reasons—it supports DSD512 and PCM768, and I’m accustomed to upsampling my DSD files to 512 in Roon. I’m fully aware that it is very unlikely that this offers any audible difference between DSD256; I just like the shiny object aspect of the thing.

I continue to bypass its internal DAC, sending the unadulterated signal stream to my Topping d90se via USB. And since I’m using an asynchronous USB connection between the two, even the “anti-jitter” thingamabob is pointless because my DAC’s clock is the master in this setup.

If you’re only interested in a pure streamer, please don’t get suckered into the marketing boilerplate from pricier brands—it’s a total ruse.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The

I use the Zen Stream as a network bridge with a linear power supply (ooh snakes) as I don't really find it convincing as a streamer on its own. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...power-supply-for-topping-d50-d50s-dx3-pro-d30
It sounds way superior to the switching wall wart supplied and the bluesound node for that matter (yes I know it's all one's and zeros).
However the functionality was nowhere near that of the bluesound until I signed up for Roon and realized that the network WAS my streaming source and treated it accordingly with power supplies,cables etc.
Isolating the PC from DAC has huge benefits in sound quality and practicality and Roon ads seamless integration and multiroom controlability.
The ZS is a computer. Nothing else. There’s no analog audio involved in this device in any way shape or form, so how is a linear vs switching power supply going to make the slightest bit of difference? Do you worry about the power supply design in your PC? It’s either on or off, working or not working. If it turns on and works, the type of power is going to make zero difference to the audio output—it’s ones and zeroes until it gets to your DAC…

blanc

Maybe I could share my opinion.

Streamers may be classified in two categories: with or without (real time) operating system.

With OS: support from software stack, powerful functions, friendly UI, reliable comms but at the cost of poor real time capability such as jitter
Without OS: real time capability, functions must be implemented from scratch, poor UI and comms.

So for this price level I think you have to accept some trade-offs.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I could share my opinion.

Streamers may be classified in two categories: with or without (real time) operating system.

With OS: support from software stack, powerful functions, friendly UI, reliable comms but at the cost of poor real time capability such as jitter
Without OS: real time capability, functions must be implemented from scratch, poor UI and comms.

So for this price level I think you have to accept some trade-offs.
What trade offs would that be for the Zen Stream, which uses the Volumio OS? And how does the presence or absence of an on-board OS affect sound quality? What is “real time capability” and what does jitter have to do with the presence of an OS?

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the audio performance of SD9 if used only for local library such SSD?
Could you please elaborate on this question? Do you mean utilizing the DAC vs bypassing the DAC? Or using only local files vs streamed files?

blanc

What trade offs would that be for the Zen Stream, which uses the Volumio OS? And how does the presence or absence of an on-board OS affect sound quality? What is “real time capability” and what does jitter have to do with the presence of an OS?
Key words: multi-tasks, preemptive.

One processor + multi-tasks = No real time guarantee

franknorris12

How's the Zen Stream if I want to use it only with a USB harddrive and control it via the app on my phone? Or is there any other alternative device that offers this? Will be outputting usb audio to a Schiit Yggdrasil.

Booker

Forum Donor
In such case, you will use the web interface of the volumio, which is integrated into the ifi Zen Stream via the app (iOS or Android). Of course, direct web access via browser is possible as well.

franknorris12

In such case, you will use the web interface of the volumio, which is integrated into the ifi Zen Stream via the app (iOS or Android). Of course, direct web access via browser is possible as well.

Awesome, am assuming the reliability this method with only an external HDD is rock solid too as there'll be no streaming (i.e tidal etc)

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Key words: multi-tasks, preemptive.

One processor + multi-tasks = No real time guarantee
Guarantee of what? What’s the big processing task at work here? It’s passing along a digital signal while extracting some metadata on the way—the resultant sound is the same. “Passthrough” is not an active process.

This thread has been unfortunately absent of any of the scientifically knowledgeable folks on this site. All streamers sound exactly the same, when it comes to the streaming aspect.

Booker

Forum Donor
Partially fixed by instruction in the video.
Just one more hint, that in my case work well.

Scenario:
  • roon ROCK core @ NUC
  • ifi ZEN Stream
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Goal:
  • Connect streamer via USB to DAC.
Issue:
  • DAC is not listed in the menu of outputs. Only SPDIF is available.
Solution:
  1. Disconnect the roon ROCK core from the ethernet - just remove the ethernet cable from the roon ROCK core
  2. Reboot streamer (turn off / turn on)
  3. Connect to All In ONE web interface or web interface for roon exclusive mode (http://192.168.XXX.XXX:3100/)
  4. DAC connected via USB should be visible now
After the recent power shutdown, it shows that the approach above did not help.

Solution 2:
  1. Power off the ifi ZEN Stream
  2. Disconnect all cables except the power
  3. Turn on the ifi ZEN Stream and wait some time until it boots up
  4. Connect USB cable
  5. Connect ethernet cable
  6. Connect to All In ONE web interface or web interface for roon exclusive mode (http://192.168.XXX.XXX:3100/)
  7. DAC connected via USB should be visible now
After the recent power shutdown, it shows that both approaches above did not help.

Solution 3:
  1. Let all running
  2. Plug any other DAC to ifi ZEN Stream instead of RME ADI-2 DAC FS (AQ DragonFly Red in my case)
  3. Refresh page with All In ONE web interface or web interface for roon exclusive mode (http://192.168.XXX.XXX:3100/)
  4. The connected DAC should be visible in the Output options
  5. Disconnect the current DAC from ifi ZEN Stream
  6. Plug RME ADI-2 DAC FS to ifi ZEN Stream
  7. Refresh page with All In ONE web interface or web interface for roon exclusive mode (http://192.168.XXX.XXX:3100/)
  8. Hit the SAVE button
Solution 4:
  1. Start roon ROCK core
  2. Start ifi ZEN Stream
  3. Start roon remote on some other PC
  4. Turn on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS
  5. ifi ZEN Stream should be visible in roon

Last edited:

Booker

Forum Donor

Top Bottom