• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

enricoh

I tried both usb via raspberry 3B+ and spidf via Allo DigiOne (and LPSU for.powering the dac).
Initally Allo sounded more interesting in mid ranges, more full and spacious, but It was lacking of high details and sparkle. Don't know of it is due to the dac itself or the allo, but at lower volume levels everything sounded muddy.
I'm now using usb via raspberry, where the whole response is more linear and precise, bass is deep and controlled and highs are very detailed. A good usb cable made the difference in my setup.

Thanks for your post, in the meantime I am using a Topping E30. Searching now for an other DAC with remote volume as the Topping sounds in my system not so good. Sanskrit was better in my system.

Zaratustra#31

This little SMSL is a very good and cheap DAC. It realy shines in it's price class. I have 6 sk10 mkII's in use in my family. Strange the 3 black colored dacs have 4700uF 10V blue caps, the blue and red units have Nichicon UFW 4700uF 6.5V caps.
My black model purchased in Europe 3 weeks ago has Nichicon UFW 4700uF 6.5V caps :)

Ciccio84

Hey, guys, i saw online the box of this DAC has printed V2. The one I bought came with a sticker attached saying V2. Have i got scammed? :)

Loathecliff

Hey, guys, i saw online the box of this DAC has printed V2. The one I bought came with a sticker attached saying V2. Have i got scammed? :)
Take the screws out (& invalidate the warranty:)) to see if you have the favoured 4493? chip.
The chassis will just slide far enough with the ribbon cable connected.

brimble

Forum Donor

According to a message on here that I'm too lazy to look up, the V2s all came with stickers at first. So no, you haven't been scammed.

Ciccio84

According to a message on here that I'm too lazy to look up, the V2s all came with stickers at first. So no, you haven't been scammed.

Take the screws out (& invalidate the warranty:)) to see if you have the favoured 4493? chip.
The chassis will just slide far enough with the ribbon cable connected.

Thank you guys. No way to check "via software"?

Also, is there a way to control the DAC via laptop rather than remote?

Cheers!

Steamrolly

When you turn on a V2 it first displays 'S10' (for Sanskrit 10th) followed by 'u2' ( for version 2).

Last edited:

Loathecliff

My pcm blunt-edge days were fifty years back, though the 'What happens if I do this?" approach hasn't changed.
However, I'm having trouble with this Sanskrit wizz device. It won't work on 96 & above.
If I try, it shows 96 but the sound is as you might expect with only have of the samples being read.
I'm using foobar on win10 with the usual recommended settings but the only way to get a 96 to play is with a resampler.
I know it won't any difference to the sound quality but the darned thing is new so I'd at least like it to work to spec.
If I'm making sense, do any of you bright souls know what I'm doing wrong please?

Zek

Major Contributor
You need to set up the foobar with the appropriate plugins to play native files. I can't help much I'm on MacOS (Audirvana).

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
I am really enjoying the dac with Squeezebox Touch with edo. I am getting 192khz from my aged streaming device. Every CD rip sounds good, and now I am able to play my few hi res downloads.

I first tried to get the squeezebox to recognise the dac when I used separate data and power cables but nothing played. When I removed the power cable, and chose digital connection, the dac was listed on screen.

Very nice!

JoostE

Quick question, does anyone know what USB standard this uses? I am looking for a UAC1 dac (for ps5...). AFAIK only the modern dacs that do UAC1 are the JDS dacs, but in EU those are quite expensive I think (and possible warranty problems will be a hassle with USA buys).

This DAC looks like the obvious buy for a cheap desk dac/amp setup, no? Even cheaper than the E30.

drake5000

Thank you for the review and all helpful comments.
I consider buying this DAC, however my concern is that COAX/Toslink Jitter performance. COAX graph is given, and it is said that toslink "a bit better", no graph though. Since Toslink will be my main application I wonder, how much it is better exactly? Because that -80 dB spikes might actually be audible I think. Also do we have some confirmation whether external power supply improves this or not?

Also do we have some confirmation whether external power supply improves this or not?

I would like to join this question and add a further one.
I'm planning to buy this DAC and paired it with Raspberry Pi 4 + Allo DigiOne since everyone seems to agree it does a much better job at outputting singal. However, given the really good USB performace this DAC have and the "not so great" one with COAX, what should I do?
Do Allo DigiOne still improve sound over USB or I would be better server by just connecting the Pi 4 to the this DAC via USB?

Hope my question make sense to you.

Zek

Major Contributor
Connect the Pi 4 to the DAC via USB, because USB on Pi4 are improved.

D

Deleted member 29476

The op amps have no markings (MkI used JRC version of 5532, smaller caps, AK4490 from pictures). Nice looking metal film resistors, but can't make out the tolerance. Just delivered today. My first USB DAC, upgrading from Allo Boss. The key to the Boss was SoX upsampling to 32/384, which turned off chip resampling in the TI PCM5122. Served me quite well for over a year. Can't get the SMSL to sound as good through the Windows 10 computer compared to RPi3B+ Moode. Prefer the Moode interface. On brief listening, SMSL sounds better with SoX disabled. Will listen to this for a week, then go back to the Boss. Already quite certain the SMSL is an upgrade from the Boss.

View attachment 70759

My MkI looks better with a LME49722 op amp in it. Sounds great to my ears (definitely more transparent than the original). I have the Topping E30 too, both sound great.
IMG_28032021_100948_(1080_x_1920_pixel).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gino1961

... Also do we have some confirmation whether external power supply improves this or not?
Very interesting question. My guess is that opinions will not be backed by measurements ? A similar case that could be telling
The Chord Qutest ... its designer keeps on saying that using a better grade psu will not have an impact on sound
Taken from another thread on this forum
...Rob Watts said countless times on HeadFi to do NOT "upgrade" the Qutest PSU. According to the designer himself: it will bring absolutely no improvement (not audible nor measurable), will avoid your warranty and yes, may eventually damage your unit....
Nevertheless there are reviews online saying differently

Personally i am using a small 5VDC linear power supply from Teradak ... and it is fine
https://www.teradak.com/products/46.html
but i have bought a variable voltage regulator called Studer900 to be used with a decent mains transformer ( i like EI type a lot) for a DIY solution
Better to use also a nice usb micro cable .... i have ordered the amazon basics that looks quite good (no specs available ... just reviews)

Last edited:

Jet Black

So jitter isn't that much of an issue then, right? Dedicated clock or no clock on the HAT - no big deal? I'll stick with the RPi then. Maybe. An Ibasso DC03 dongle DAC is on its way to me anyway, bought it accidentally from AliExpress lol. Will try to tell the difference between the two DACs. And I have more actually, in my phone, the laptop, the PC... Maybe hook them up to the amp and compare, for the sake of science lol.
How was the dc03 experience?

Top Bottom