• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

Ciccio84

So, I've tried unplugging the laptop and it helped, but what really killed the hum was unplugging the HDMI cable to my monitor.

Are these types of issues with noise due to the DAC or to the laptop? I mean, would a better DAC be quieter plugged to my powered laptop?

silverD

Sounds like a ground loop. Are all the devices plugged into the same outlet/power strip?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So, I've tried unplugging the laptop and it helped, but what really killed the hum was unplugging the HDMI cable to my monitor.

Are these types of issues with noise due to the DAC or to the laptop? I mean, would a better DAC be quieter plugged to my powered laptop?
The idea of disconnecting the laptop supply was to confirm a ground loop. The monitor disconnect suppressing the noise confirms it further.
Do your speakers have xlr inputs?

Ciccio84

So, I run a few tests.

It's all the HDMI cable to the monitor. I can plug laptop, speakers and DAC to different power plugs, it's all quite up until I plug the HDMI from the monitor to my laptop. I tried with the monitor in the same power plug, no difference. Still noisy.

It's kind of a big deal, because if I want to watch movies or youtube on the big screen, I get crappy sound from the speaker.

Do you guys know why HDMI creates this noise?

Thank again!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So, I run a few tests.

It's all the HDMI cable to the monitor. I can plug laptop, speakers and DAC to different power plugs, it's all quite up until I plug the HDMI from the monitor to my laptop. I tried with the monitor in the same power plug, no difference. Still noisy.

It's kind of a big deal, because if I want to watch movies or youtube on the big screen, I get crappy sound from the speaker.

Do you guys know why HDMI creates this noise?

Thank again!
Well, if you ask questions without reading the replies, problem solving will be tough.

Ciccio84

Sorry, I have re-read all the answers and nothing explains why the HDMI cable creates the noise. Since it's on one plug, I don't think it's a loop as my understanding is that ground loops happen when you plug on multiple plugs. I might be wrong though.

Feel free to point me to the post that talks about HDMI been a source of noise and why as I can't find it

Ciccio84

Using better RCA cables reduced the noise a little. I'll make do for the time being and use my phone as main input (I'm using Spotify 90% of the times anyway).

Cheers,
Rob

Ciccio84

Now the noise has gone! Even with HDMI in. I haven't touch anything... I'm amazed and confused.

beanxinh

Hi,

Are there anyway to differentiate the mk2 version and the original ? Some guy offer a Sanskrit to me secondhand but I'm not sure if that it is the 4490 version or the 4493 version.
Thank.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi,

Are there anyway to differentiate the mk2 version and the original ? Some guy offer a Sanskrit to me secondhand but I'm not sure if that it is the 4490 version or the 4493 version.
Thank.
It has to be the original version if he didn't explicitly say it's mk2. Simple logic.

beanxinh

It has to be the original version if he didn't explicitly say it's mk2. Simple logic.
He said that it is the mk2 but didn't have the box or anything, the price a little bit low so I'm tempted to buy it replacing my M100 :).

Top Bottom