• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

ABall

Forum Donor
Anyone with this tested a Squeezebox Touch via USB, seems to work with some DAC's that need drivers but not all.
Thanks.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Shows up where? On Windows, for 768k you need to push it via wasapi or ASIO. System panel doesn't support that high of a rate.
Ok thanks that's good to know.

smsl_properties.png

Windows Properties for SMSL "Speaker" Samplerate.

samplerate.png

Foobar ASIO playback of DSD256 + Thesycon XMOS Control Panel.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Filter settings. Whether or not they make any difference whatsoever you be the judge.
smsl_10th_filters.png

Source: Google Search

Followed by @amirm FFT Spectrum
1585732327505.png

Source: This Review

Last edited:

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

mykeldg

is this better than the topping e30 when we use a generic 5v charger?

JRM_PT

Do you think it will be a good companion to a Raspberry Pi 4 as a music server and a Prima Luna integrated amp?
I mainly hear CD (have some) and a few vinyl but would like to start having some other contents in hi-res lossless formats and also be able to stream it from my phone or laptop.

Zek

Major Contributor
@silverD
Does pop-noise occur when changing tracks or when changing sampling rate?
Are there any problems with the DSD256 files?
Will it remember volume setting if it is powered off and back on?
Some of these problems occur with the Topping E30.

silverD

@silverD
Does pop-noise occur when changing tracks or when changing sampling rate?
Are there any problems with the DSD256 files?
Will it remember volume setting if it is powered off and back on?
Some of these problems occur with the Topping E30.
I have it connected to a pi 2 at the moment. When I change tracks I do not notice a pop. It will remember its volume setting when powered off. I even disconnected the USB and plugged it back in and it had kept the volume. I don't have any DSD256 so I downloaded a test track and did notice a pop when switching to and from it.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Zek

kkeretic

I have it connected to a pi 2 at the moment. When I change tracks I do not notice a pop. It will remember its volume setting when powered off. I even disconnected the USB and plugged it back in and it had kept the volume. I don't have any DSD256 so I downloaded a test track and did notice a pop when switching to and from it.
Hope this helps.

Pop, pop, pop, pop... PCM->DSD->PCM->freq. change pop, pop, pop :mad:. And again. Pop, pop, pop... Seems all these AKM based DACs pop in some way. Currently have Topping D70 and D50s and the D70s is making pops when used via XLR->RCA but only now and then through the RCA. The D50s (ESS) is dead silent whatever I do (except x->PCM 384kHz->x). Don't know what to think anymore about these pops. They are really nasty things in audio. Looking for the third DAC for another setup, was thinking to buy this one, but because of these pops I will buy another ESS DAC, probably another D50s.

MalinYamato

Quote>> "I am not a big fan of the micro-USB connectors but they work."

The last time I spec'd mini-USB compared to a full size USB-A plug the mini was rated for more insertion and removal cycles. So the mini has some advantage there for longevity.

"Standard USB has a minimum rated lifetime of 1,500 cycles of insertion and removal, the mini-USB receptacle increases this to 5,000 cycles, and the newer Micro-USB and USB-C receptacles are both designed for a minimum rated lifetime of 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Durability
This mist be an error: micro USB is by far the weakest, both based on my personal experience and by looking at the built.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This mist be an error: micro USB is by far the weakest, both based on my personal experience and by looking at the built.
I rolled eyes when I first saw it but if it's by insertion and each one done properly one will be better than the other and just maybe the micro version is the better one. Otherwise wikipedia.org or the author(s) should be advised of the error. :D

Ciccio84

Hi guys,

I just received the MK2 from Amazon. I was expecting it in 2 weeks time so I don't have RCA cables for my speaker. I tested it with an old RCA cable I found in a draw (it looks really thin, but the connectors fit).

Anyway, every time I play something from the laptop via the new DAC, my speaker start making a noise that is audible when music is playing and stays when the music is off. It's not "loud" but very audible and really annoying. At first I thought it was because I wasn't using the auxiliary power input, so I tried with that too... but the noise is still there.

I used the OTG dongle of my phone as an input and it's dead quiet.

How can I clean the USB output of my Laptop? Not sure if it's a noob question but I'm completely new. This is my first external DAC.

Cheers!
Rob

yejun

Hi guys,

I just received the MK2 from Amazon. I was expecting it in 2 weeks time so I don't have RCA cables for my speaker. I tested it with an old RCA cable I found in a draw (it looks really thin, but the connectors fit).

Anyway, every time I play something from the laptop via the new DAC, my speaker start making a noise that is audible when music is playing and stays when the music is off. It's not "loud" but very audible and really annoying. At first I thought it was because I wasn't using the auxiliary power input, so I tried with that too... but the noise is still there.

I used the OTG dongle of my phone as an input and it's dead quiet.

How can I clean the USB output of my Laptop? Not sure if it's a noob question but I'm completely new. This is my first external DAC.

Cheers!
Rob

iFi idefender can probably fix some noise issue, you will need to use an external power supply. Not a cheap solution, you might as well buy a better dac instead.

Top Bottom