• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA400

OP
michman66

michman66

Thank you kindly, I did see the review but not the thread. This site has so much content. Is there a recommend list for categories, pre amps, amps, etc in price ranges.

I need a good pre amp my budget is 500 and less same with amp 2nd. I have a Linn Lk140 I like it very much. I lived with the DA9 for a month and really liked the sound overall. I did return it as the static I was hearing consistently at level 48 I surmised as clipping. Under that for 250 just a stunning ridiculous product.

I was thinking maybe the sa400 would be the ticket. As I've read to though the thread, it's not the same design topology.

The pre is the much weaker link a vintage Proton 1100. Really not too shabby though. I converted the 16 gauge wire cord to an IEC receptacle to use a better grade dyi cord.

One of these integraterds kill 2 birds. This is where my sandbox is now. Rest of the system is Topping D50s Allo signature One, Ifi itube2, this piece was for me a big step up in listening pleasure, and finally Vandy 1cis.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As noted on Amir’s SA400 unit, the amplifier did emit a coil-whine like noise from within the unit which got louder as the volume was raised during the silence for testing, Amir says it would be likely not be noticeable with actual audio output through speakers (maybe the noise is still something to consider if intending to use the unit near-field).
I do not think this is indication of poor reliability, but I am aware of many SMSL models which exhibit this behaviour.
I am not sure of the actual cause of the coil-whine, in my case I experience it occasionally with SU-8 V2 DAC and can reduce the noise level to near silence by setting screen brightness to minimum.
Recent models with larger screens seem to have a limited level of how dark they can get, so from some feedback I have read they were unable to reduce the noise level this way.

Another thing I noted is SA400 runs hot for a Class-D and has a fan built into the unit.
Apparently the temperature at which the fan activates can be adjusted.

A similar model although more expensive is the new SMSL VMV A2.
(I think internal amplification topology is very similar to SA400)

Other alternate models with less power are the SMSL VMV A1 (Class-A) and AO200 (which is apparently near identical internal topology to DA-9, but may or may not suffer from the same reported issues?).

OP
michman66

michman66

Thank you, good reply, I'm not buying this amp, heheh even though some of the Youtube reviewers say it's a very good buy and competes with 3k amps.

Top Bottom