• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

SMSL SA400 Review (Power Amplifier)

gasolin75

I am using it for two weeks, and sometimes(from the first day I received it), the green VOL turns into yellow PRT. In this case, I only can hear from one side or none. Does anyone know what is the meaning of it and what happens? Is it an ordinary happening, or did I receive the broken one? View attachment 145584

WOW can't you figure that out by yourself ???????

Thats so easy, the amp is getting hot,overloaded

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I am using it for two weeks, and sometimes(from the first day I received it), the green VOL turns into yellow PRT. In this case, I only can hear from one side or none. Does anyone know what is the meaning of it and what happens? Is it an ordinary happening, or did I receive the broken one? View attachment 145584
If you encounter any abnormal behavior, first reset it to the factory default settings.
I thought it was a warning of overheating of the amplifier, but the temperature is 53 ° C, which is not so high.

Last edited:

ken22

It sometimes happens when it is about 30 °C. It seems like a protection mode, but why? It does not change to the normal mode automatically until I turn off the power. When it is in PRT mode, I cannot hear the sound of the inner cooling fan. It is why I am confusing.
KakaoTalk_Photo_2021-08-06-01-17-38.jpeg

gasolin75

It sometimes happens when it is about 30 °C. It seems like a protection mode, but why? It does not change to the normal mode automatically until I turn off the power. When it is in PRT mode, I cannot hear the sound of the inner cooling fan. It is why I am confusing. View attachment 145592

Has anybody said there is a fan inside of the amp ? Ventilation holes for the fan ?

DACslut

The SA400 for a Class D amp runs too hot and requires a fan? No thanks. I'll keep my SMSL AO200 that sounds awesome, is extremely quiet, runs cool as a cucumber, puts out gobs of clean power down to 2 Ω and costs less than 3 Franklins. The AO200 is virtually hardware identical to it's DA-9 cousin and $30 cheaper. It only lacks USB and dual SW outputs. I'd gladly send my amp to Amir for testing except I can't sacrifice being without it for any length of time. Some day "when my ship comes in" I'll get one of those flagship Purifi amps.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Has anybody said there is a fan inside of the amp ? Ventilation holes for the fan ?
See this Youtube review.
A fan is attached to the position behind the main knob on the bottom plate. (time 11:24)
However, since there is no air outlet, the effect is small. Moreover, the effect of stirring the air inside cannot be expected so much.

ken22

I got an official response from SMSL.

This phenomenon is because the output is too strong and the protection function is activated. The resistance of any frequency band on the speaker is so low that if the movement of the music is too high, the protection function can be activated.
Without protection, the chip can burn, so protection is compulsory and cannot be set up separately. If you turn the SA400 off, it will work normally again.

Top Bottom