• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since you know your way around power supplies, can I use this one instead of a LRS-Series? Will it improve sound (on lower levels)?

No, it is above all the audio quality of the Infineon MA12070. Also the new MA120xx are even more efficient at low volume, more than all other class D.

fluxcapacitor

you can use it but i'm not sure about connector, there're several types in similar shape, just be sure before you buy. I cut connector of original adaptor and used it with Meanwell...It improved background hiss level, there was a high pitch noise at the background and its gone with new psu.Also it clearly improves sound at high levels...For low levels, i dont mind, just dont use supplied psu, it's simply a crap.I sent photos in previous posts, it's really crap.With new/better psu, you'll extend life of your amp. for sure.

Feesh

Hi everyone!

I have a smsl SA300 paired with a sanskrit 10th mk2 DAC (for the optical input) - Driving my BW 607s2

As a newbie I have to say I am really happy with the amp and speaker combo (small living room).

After reading through everyone's posts I have decided to potentially swap my power supply for the SA300.

Would something like this work?
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/mean-wel...stspannung-27-6-v-dc-4-3-a-119-w-1838015.html

Since I can't really find any 26v ones, would a better 24v also make a difference?

ModDIY

Hi Feesh,

It seems a good product and very practical because already in a box.

This SMPS is listed for 110w. What is the impedance of your speakers?

At 4ohms this SMPS will miss a few watts, no problem for 8ohms. But if your goal is not to push to the maximum with 4ohms, no problem either.

Feesh

Thanks for the fast reply!

The BW 607s2 are 8ohms.

So it being 27,6V is ok?

ModDIY

Thanks for the fast reply!

The BW 607s2 are 8ohms.

So it being 27,6V is ok?

With the MA12070 amplifier which equips the SA300, the voltage limit is 26vdc.

Very important not to exceed this limit at the risk of destroying it.

So I recommend that you measure the DC voltage output well with a voltage to be sure. There should be an adjustment, I imagine at least as that is the case with the Meanwell SMPS that I own.

With 8ohms and this SMPS 110w and 24vdc, will provide a maximum power of 30w / c at 1% distortion.

I have the MA12040 version with an 18vdc SMPS, my speakers have 4 ohms with an efficiency of 89db (3 way) accompanied by a subwoofer, which gives 30w/ c 1%, and I do not lack power in a living room of medium size.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Thanks for all the info!

I might just replace the default unit the SA300 ships with, with something like:

https://www.reichelt.de/tischnetzte...3Et3NeBecxWSHYLgnXmJzwnL1-briaowaApVpEALw_wcB

Which means I wouldn't get the added benefit of 26v.

Would that make any sense?

The difference between 24 and 26vdc for the MA12070 is only 4-5w / c, I very much doubt you will hear the difference.

The only difference that might be possible is the build quality of the SMPS, which remains to be proven and compared.

On my MA12040 I initially had one like yours in terms of quality and only 12vdc, which I then changed to a se 18vdc, frankly I didn't hear any noticeable difference, and I'm a very picky audiophile. So I would tell you that if you are currently satisfied do not change the SMPS for the more expensive one. But if you are curious try it

Moosi

With the MA12070 amplifier which equips the SA300, the voltage limit is 26vdc.
That is not true, 26v is the recommended max voltage. The actual voltage limit is 27.5v. I would not drive it this far tho. 26-27v would be a perfect range to squeeze the max out of it without putting it at risk.
I have a smsl SA300 paired with a sanskrit 10th mk2 DAC (for the optical input) - Driving my BW 607s2
I was consindering the sanskrit Mk2 for the AS300 too, but I read that the sanskrit forgets the volume level when turned on/off, putting it down to 20 or something when turned on again. Using it as a pure-DAC as a feeder for the AS300 would mean having to put it on max vol with the remote every time you turn it on. That was a big no go for me. Can you confirm this?

ModDIY

That is not true, 26v is the recommended max voltage. The actual voltage limit is 27.5v. I would not drive it this far tho. 26-27v would be a perfect range to squeeze the max out of it without putting it at risk.

Yes it's true, it's 27.5, but I wouldn't risk myself with the SMSL

But 26v is the limit advised by Infineon, see the PDF manual

Feesh

I was consindering the sanskrit Mk2 for the AS300 too, but I read that the sanskrit forgets the volume level when turned on/off, putting it down to 20 or something when turned on again. Using it as a pure-DAC as a feeder for the AS300 would mean having to put it on max vol with the remote every time you turn it on. That was a big no go for me. Can you confirm this?

This is false, volume stays at the previously set db.

So you never have to touch the DAC volume controls ever again if you don't want to :)

whazzup

Had the SA300 for some time, and just thought I'll do some quick measurements between it and the Yamaha A-S500. Found an interesting difference.

Before that difference, these are the measured frequency responses for both amps.
I've kept the Xonar U7 dac / Windows volume constant and varied the volume so that both amps register 96 dB on 1 kHz tone on REW. However, SA300's increments are more coarse, so I settled for ~0.5 dB higher volume than the A-S500. Mic is about an inch from the cone center.

Blue (Yamaha) / Orange (SMSL) charts - JBL A130 tweeter and mid
Green (Yamaha) / Orange (SMSL) charts - JVC UX2000 (as a representative for 4 ohm speakers)

34WD7Ic.png

In the context of these 2 speakers, the SMSL is performing as well as the Yamaha, both FR tracking each other end to end.

The difference that I spotted was in the distortion graphs. When measuring the A130 tweeter, SA300's distortion went up about 5 dB beyond 15kHz.

Distortion for Yamaha. No rise beyond 15 kHz.
AWFTSTS.png

Distortion for SMSL. ~5dB rise beyond 15 kHz.
s98H71b.png

Final FR didn't seem to get affected though. Not sure the significance for this, just thought I'll put this observation up. Or should I be concerned?

Last edited:

Melvinne

The amp is one of the greatest miracles of my life.
I got my new KEF Q150 speakers, put it on the AS300 and connected to the internal USB-port since I am lacking a proper DAC yet.

I have the same setup (great sale price on the Q150) and near-field as computer speakers it sounds great. Fantastic actually. The KEF UniQ is impressive, no convergence issues and sitting close with a small amount toe-in the image at keyboard is great. Can't think of anything I would upgrade at this point, it just works.

Oh, using Roon/Qobuz and seeing the purple star always unless an 88.2 or DSD source.

Moosi

Can't think of anything I would upgrade at this point, it just works.

I would recommend at least a distance of 47inch/120cm for the speakers to really open up the soundstage. They sound great up close too yes, but the real magic kicks in when you give them some space to pronounce and seperate 'dem tones properly. It feels like an orchestra playing right in front of you.
The real miracle to me tho is not the sound the amp produces, that is on a above average level, but surely not within the top 20, it is the near zero energy it consumes on standby and playing on reasonable volume. For desktop use, I want a device that is small and efficiently running for 8+ ours a day and yet gives me goosebumps listening to it. The AS300 seems perfect for that matter. I don't see any device being able to beat 1-2watts during good listening volume with that audio quality. Maybe part of it is the combination with the KEF's though. Maybe those speakers are especially efficient with the amp or in general. Running it on 6 or 4ohmers might challenge it more.

besides: I am planning on buying a DAC either the smsl sanskrit MK2 or Topping E30 to pair with the AS300, since more than one person in this thread claims the sound to be considerably better with a proper DAC. I am also planning to buy the Aiyima A07 to compare with it once the chinese new years festival is over and shipping returns to normal. If things unfold as planned, I'll report.

Last edited:

Moosi

Just roll back and forth with that chair listening to a proper hq-track (hq-produced, not just hq-file) that has some soundstage with multi-instruments in it like classic, jazz or something similar. You'll notice a sweepspot at which the speakers totally disappear and you get embraced by the sound as if you are in a concert hall listening to live music. Better have 'dem eyes closed doing it.

edit: I would put them at least close to ear level, since tweeters are always supposed to be at ear level, even tho the KEFs are quite forgiving. And please invest in spikes or at least some rubber to put under the speakers. No speaker is meant to be put on a desk directly. You are distorting every tune coming out of it by linking it to the resonating surface of the table. Tables are really bad speakers!

Last edited:

M1ke

Hello Guys,
Will this little miracle work with a pair of JBL 4312M which is 6ohms/75watts
I think it should but not sure about performance, maybe you can advise.

Moosi

Depends on what you want. On my 8 ohmers, the AS300 is more than sufficient as a Desktop amp in a small room. If you want to listen loudly (>80db) in a medium to large room, you'd probably be better off with an "Aiyima A07" which has about double the power of the SA300 if paired with a powerful 48V power supply, yet costs only around 50 bucks. Audio quality seems to be on the same level for what I know. When buying the A07, look for the newer version with LM45xx OP-AMPs.

AS300 -> 30W@8Ohm (38W@6Ohm)
Aiyima A07 -> 55W@8Ohm (68W@6Ohm) /both tested numbers from reviews here on audioscience @<1%THD

With a 6 Ohm speaker, I would multiply those numbers by 1.25.

Last edited:

Vladetz

Depends on what you want. On my 8 ohmers, the AS300 is more than sufficient as a Desktop amp in a small room. If you want to listen loudly (>80db) in a medium to large room, you'd probably be better off with an "Aiyima A07" which has about double the power of the SA300 if paired with a powerful 48V power supply, yet costs only around 50 bucks. Audio quality seems to be on the same level for what I know. When buying the A07, look for the newer version with LM45xx OP-AMPs.

AS300 -> 30W@8Ohm (38W@6Ohm)
Aiyima A07 -> 55W@8Ohm (68W@6Ohm)

With a 6 Ohm speaker, I would multiply those numbers by 1.25.
Btw double the power is only +3db

Top Bottom