• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA100 Audio Amplifier Review

LLL

Forum Donor
So, why get the SA100 when the ~$130 Topping MX3 is a mini all-in-one (including headphone out) with better power amp measurements (similar wattage with better SINAD)?
Because it's a 76% increase in price?

This is a great data point to show another obvious (that most people don't realize), that a brand doesn't mean much in terms of performance. SMSL can make stunning equipment, but just because it's an SMSL, it doesn't mean it is going to have great performance. This applies to just about everything else in the consumer market. Yet, people buy brands.

I think many economic theories really need to be re-done; any theories that assume humans make "rational" decisions are totally wrong.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI as I reported in another thread, I tested this amp with my Sonus Farber bookshelf speakers. Until it ran out of breath (which is ugly as it crackles/mutes), it has usable performance.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it's a 76% increase in price?

This is a great data point to show another obvious (that most people don't realize), that a brand doesn't mean much in terms of performance. SMSL can make stunning equipment, but just because it's an SMSL, it doesn't mean it is going to have great performance. This applies to just about everything else in the consumer market. Yet, people buy brands.

I think many economic theories really need to be re-done; any theories that assume humans make "rational" decisions are totally wrong.
Right, but you still need a DAC for the SMSL (unless using an internal one), so the Topping likely would be cheaper.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These TI based amps are a huge waste of money when you can pickup a vintage or even nonvintage stereo receiver for the same price with oodles of more power and much better measurements.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These TI based amps are a huge waste of money when you can pickup a vintage or even nonvintage stereo receiver for the same price with oodles of more power and much better measurements.
That’s like saying a $20,000 car is a waste of money because you can get a used car for that price that’s more luxurious.
Some people don’t like buying used gear.

SmackDaddies

Your purchasing a form factor - something decent in a small size that fits my desk is way the heck and gone better than a large receiver I have no space for. Now for my main system, yes, I have the big boy receiver. But that is a different space / need / use.

Marcos Mazur

So does this Audio Measurements explain the fact that this amplifier has a horrible sound? it is of an articular and oppressive, edgy, irritating quality, I am currently using it with the dac topping e30. I'm using this amplifier in a small room.
From what I read here on this thread they said that the distortion is not ''audible'', but I leave a question here, this distortion imperceptible, does it not give''the bad'' in the sound quality and musical experience? I would say it is a matter of feeling the quality and not so much listening to distortions themselves.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
So does this Audio Measurements explain the fact that this amplifier has a horrible sound? it is of an articular and oppressive, edgy, irritating quality, I am currently using it with the dac topping e30. I'm using this amplifier in a small room.
From what I read here on this thread they said that the distortion is not ''audible'', but I leave a question here, this distortion imperceptible, does it not give''the bad'' in the sound quality and musical experience? I would say it is a matter of feeling the quality and not so much listening to distortions themselves.
Yes, the SINAD measurement for the SMSL SA100 was one of the worst yet measured. It's in the red section on the far right of this chart:

index.php

Marcos Mazur

Yes, the SINAD measurement for the SMSL SA100 was one of the worst yet measured. It's in the red section on the far right of this chart:

index.php

OMG! one of the worst!
I think his quality is inferior even for entry level, I have used active speakers of inferior quality and that didn’t have that bad vibe sound.
Thanks for showing me this chart.
For me it is still not so clear, the '' harsh '' and '' edgy '' is due to the distortion? would it be possible for me to get an amplifier with low distortion and that still has these characteristics? I think about exchanging for an Allo Volt + D which from what I saw here is low-noise and low distortion.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
OMG! one of the worst!
I think his quality is inferior even for entry level, I have used active speakers of inferior quality and that didn’t have that bad vibe sound.
Thanks for showing me this chart.
For me it is still not so clear, the '' harsh '' and '' edgy '' is due to the distortion? would it be possible for me to get an amplifier with low distortion and that still has these characteristics? I think about exchanging for an Allo Volt + D which from what I saw here is low-noise and low distortion.
Different people hear distortion differently, but that is probably the reason. The review shows significant distortion at 5W/4Ω, and if you try to drive the amp higher than 21W/8Ω or 36W/4Ω, the distortion climbs very quickly. Those are such low wattages that it should be easy to drive the amp into audible distortion.

index.php

Marcos Mazur

Different people hear distortion differently, but that is probably the reason. The review shows significant distortion at 5W/4Ω, and if you try to drive the amp higher than 21W/8Ω or 36W/4Ω, the distortion climbs very quickly. Those are such low wattages that it should be easy to drive the amp into audible distortion.

index.php

I hadn't thought about that detail, thanks for the information.
I see that this amp is a hopeless case, with the treble at 0 it is a kind of bad-bright sound and I notice distortions even at medium volume, at -1 it is acceptable and less painful, but it is a bad vibe.
Does the quality of the power supply also influence distortion?
Would powering this amp with 5v be worse? (or ifi power 5v)

Top Bottom