• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PO100

tonimccloud

I've seen in aliexpress a pro version of po100. it seems that you can choose between uac 1 - 2 (perfect for ps5), mqa support and iis output...but twice the price of the original one

Last edited:

tonimccloud

Are there any other digital interfaces that permits changing between uac1-2 ps5 compatible? price was very good in the normal po100, but it's not that good in the upgraded versions (i don't need i2s and mqa support)

MCH

Major Contributor
Are there any other digital interfaces that permits changing between uac1-2 ps5 compatible? price was very good in the normal po100, but it's not that good in the upgraded versions (i don't need i2s and mqa support)
I have no idea if it will work with the PS5 or not but the ancient Asus contar u7 that you can find used for almost nothing has spdif output and a usb audio class 1-2 selector
IMG_20221112_093327.jpg

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
is it seen as multichannel output device (5.1) or just stereo?
Can any owner pls tell?

Toku

Major Contributor
I have PO100, but I use it for 2cH stereo.
The product description does not clearly state that it is for 2ch stereo, but from the explanation of the operation, I think it is for 2ch stereo and cannot be used for 5.1.
PO100AK and PO100Pro were newly released, but this is also for 2cH stereo. Furthermore, it expands the MQA signal and outputs it to S/PDIF.

tonimccloud

Which are the differences between po100 pro i2s Mode 1 and Mode 2? I'll receive the digital interface in 10 days. I want to check if there are sound differences connecting to my topping d70s via i2s or via coaxial/toslink.

Toku

Major Contributor
Which are the differences between po100 pro i2s Mode 1 and Mode 2? I'll receive the digital interface in 10 days. I want to check if there are sound differences connecting to my topping d70s via i2s or via coaxial/toslink.
The switch of I2S is for reversing the polarity of the signal.
Currently, there are two types of I2S signals, and this is a changeover switch to support them.
Details are provided in the manual.

I'm using Topping D10s and SMSL PO100 for DDC, but I'm also thinking of buying PO100Pro and PO100AKM.
I would like to prepare these as equipment for testing various devices.

Attachments

• PO100Pro I2S.png
    PO100Pro I2S.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

biniek

Anyone has already new po100 pro?
Looks very promising since it has new gen xmos

Joachim Herbert

Good to know not to update then.

Got the PO100 and a pair of Genelec 8330s. First plugged in and on macOS can't change the bitrate. It's "32 bit" fixed. Whatever it really means. Selected 192 kHz for testing and got only distorted crackling on the left monitor. Switched to 96 kHz and all seems fine. Not that I "need" the 192 kHz but that doesn't leave the best impression on me since 192 kHz are advertised. So the question ist if this unit is faulty or not the best quality in general and if it's better just to invest more in a Topping D10s / D10 balanced?
Genelec uses 96kHz max. Would not blame either party for hickups.

Joachim Herbert

Didn't bother testing the SMSL because of its poor measurements on coax. If I only needed Toslkink I'd have maybe kept it and saved the $10, but just not worth it for me.
Where are these measurements to be found?

Dumdum

I have PO100, but I use it for 2cH stereo.
The product description does not clearly state that it is for 2ch stereo, but from the explanation of the operation, I think it is for 2ch stereo and cannot be used for 5.1.
PO100AK and PO100Pro were newly released, but this is also for 2cH stereo. Furthermore, it expands the MQA signal and outputs it to S/PDIF.
It won’t do the third unfold, mqa won’t allow it as then you could see what they do to the signal

Unless stuff has changed, but they definitely banned 3rd layer unfolding in anything but a dac

Toku

Major Contributor
It won’t do the third unfold, mqa won’t allow it as then you could see what they do to the signal

Unless stuff has changed, but they definitely banned 3rd layer unfolding in anything but a dac
thank you for the advice.
Even if I read SMSL's HP and manual, I can't understand the MQA deployment behavior of PO100 Pro and PO100 AK.
Regarding the RCA output of PO100 AK, I think that ORIGAMI is developed and output according to the input like a normal DAC.
But for COAX/OPT output, there is no explanation on how to output MQA.
The OPT/COAX standard cannot handle signals above PM192kHz. do you have any information on this matter?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main small.jpg

decryption

Anyone using a PO100 able to confirm/deny if the volume control on a Mac work when using it? The USB to optical device I have now (Soundblaster X-Fi 5.1, it was $5 at an op-shop!) doesn't work with the Mac's native volume controls.

Kraak

Anyone using a PO100 able to confirm/deny if the volume control on a Mac work when using it? The USB to optical device I have now (Soundblaster X-Fi 5.1, it was $5 at an op-shop!) doesn't work with the Mac's native volume controls.
Yes, there is volume control on mac. Just don’t update the firmware smsl has on their site, because that will remove it, and you won’t be able to roll back as far as I know.

Top Bottom