• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PO100

CristianoLO

Something else, SMSL writes:

That is very weird and I didn't see this in any other device before. Did anyone try to use another generic USB-C to USB-A cable instead of the original cable? I would need to use a longer cable than the one provided. Reviews on amazon confirm USB-C to USB-C cables won't work.
It does not work using type C to C cables, only A to C. If you have to use a C to C cable, you will have to use a C to A adapter together.
Any A to C works fine.
I wanted to use the PO100 on an Android phone and I had to buy a Y adapter with a PD end to keep the phone charging and the other end type A to the PO100, that way everything works fine.

By the way, the problem I has with COAX does not appears on TOSLINK.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I grabbed one of these just to play around with. Without any driver in Win11 wasnt many frequency options in the device settings. Drivers installed all seem to be there, One of the only drivers ive seen where you can change the volume out but looks like a typo in the drop down menu both do say 32 bit. The really weird part if i use this in REW connected to my MRX740 the outputs measure diffrent on the low end.

Should this be locked at 24/192? In Windows or let it sit at 32/48?

Should this be as good as a D10S/B if you only need a coax or optical out?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Should this be locked at 24/192? In Windows or let it sit at 32/48?
Ideally you should use ASIO or Wasapi Exclusive so that the Windows setting doesn't matter at all since it's bypassed.
If your program doesn't support those APIs, then it's best to set the DAC/DDC to the sample rate that your program is using internally and set the bit depth to the highest available.
E.g. Spotify is 44.1k, YouTube is 48k.
Without any driver in Win11 wasnt many frequency options in the device settings.
On Win10 I'm seeing all sample rates without installing a driver, just using the generic Microsoft one:
Screenshot 2022-09-21 161823.png Screenshot 2022-09-21 161734.png
Edit: Not true actually. Here's what I'm seeing after istalling the driver:
Screenshot 2022-09-21 163027.png
Which is strange since the PO100 officially only supports 192kHz.

The really weird part if i use this in REW connected to my MRX740 the outputs measure diffrent on the low end.
I'm guessing either your source device is resampling and that messes with the LF or your AVR has different processing depending on the input.
DDCs don't usually have a frequency response.
Should this be as good as a D10S/B if you only need a coax or optical out?
In theory, yes. Just as good.
In practice, there might be differences in jitter, impossible to say without some measurements.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Firmware warning:

SMSL recently added a firmware update to the product page of the PO100:
Screenshot_20220921-164102_Chrome.png

In the readme it says:
"Before upgrading, please note this is the firmware for upgrading USB2.0, not USB1.1."
..so I assumed this was an improved UAC2 firmware, not the UAC1 downgrade.

However, after upgrading, the PO100 no longer shows any hardware volume controls.
Before / After
Screenshot_20220917-015326.jpg Screenshot_20220921-164858.jpg

@SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu
Any idea what's going on? Did I downgrade to UAC1 by accident? Why is hardware volume control gone?

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Firmware warning:

View attachment 232338

In the readme it says:
"Before upgrading, please note this is the firmware for upgrading USB2.0, not USB1.1."

However, after upgrading, the PO100 no longer shows any hardware volume controls.
Before / After
View attachment 232339 View attachment 232341

@SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu
Any idea what's going on? Did I downgrade to UAC1 by accident? Why is hardware volume control gone?
When I get back from Vacation, I will try it as well and see what happens.

Kraak

Firmware warning:

View attachment 232338

In the readme it says:

Before / After
View attachment 232339 View attachment 232341

@SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu
I'm in the exact same boat, lost the volume control in mac os after the upgrade (or downgrade, it's not clear). I also noticed the firmware version went from 5.0 to 1.2.
There do seem to be lot's more output options, where as before there was only the choice of 32bit and max 192kHz
.Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 08.46.31.png
Be aware before applying this though, there doesn't seem te be a way to flash it back to v5.0

Arpeggiator

Good to know not to update then.

Got the PO100 and a pair of Genelec 8330s. First plugged in and on macOS can't change the bitrate. It's "32 bit" fixed. Whatever it really means. Selected 192 kHz for testing and got only distorted crackling on the left monitor. Switched to 96 kHz and all seems fine. Not that I "need" the 192 kHz but that doesn't leave the best impression on me since 192 kHz are advertised. So the question ist if this unit is faulty or not the best quality in general and if it's better just to invest more in a Topping D10s / D10 balanced?

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I have not flashed it yet, but I think they also released a software driver update as well. I haven't done either as of yet.

Hov

Forum Donor
Hey guys.

I bought an SMSL PO100 interface and put it to play.
I noticed a sound like "tec" and decided to take a measurement to try to identify a problem.
I used the SPDIF input from my Motu Ultralite MK3 interface.
See the video I recorded here.

Of course I also made a video showing a loopback between Motu's SPDIF input and output.
Loopback between Motu interface SPDIF output and input.

I tried changing the sample rate, both at 48kHz and 44.1kHz.
It continued in the same way.
I also tried to reproduce the 1kHz signal using the interface connected to my Android phone using an OTG cable, and the result was also the same.
So... I was awarded a problematic SMSL PO100 interface? :(
Did you ever make any progress with this? A bit concerned if these are the measurements from a factory working unit. Just ordered one to use out of a Raspberry Pi, I'll swap it for the Douk Audio U2 (reviewed here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-digital-usb-to-s-pdif-interfaces.29765/) if necessary, was just trying to save a few bucks (as always!).

CristianoLO

Did you ever make any progress with this? A bit concerned if these are the measurements from a factory working unit. Just ordered one to use out of a Raspberry Pi, I'll swap it for the Douk Audio U2 (reviewed here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-digital-usb-to-s-pdif-interfaces.29765/) if necessary, was just trying to save a few bucks (as always!).

the problem appears only using coaxial output, and the manufacturer said it is normal (via Ali Express chat) :confused:
I commented a few posts ago that using the optical output it worked normally, which is actually how it will be used, so for me ok...

Hov

Forum Donor
Ah okay sounds good, thank you! I will be using both outputs so that is a bit concerning. I might end up with the Douk after all.

Hov

Forum Donor
Was curious about that too, I like the full-sized USB but not that it needs yet another plug + I don't need the HDMI interface at all, never will for this setup. I figured sacrificing for the MicroUSB port in the regular U2 and still getting the same XMOS interface (plus saving some dollars and a power outlet) was the way to go.

Hov

Forum Donor
I got the Douk Audio U2 set up, fed from a Raspberry Pi (experimenting with an existing DietPi setup running an Emby server, hoping to be able to do Tidal Connect with DSP on it but may need to get a separate Pi and dedicate moode or similar to have the DSP possible) outputting to 2 different DACs - NuPrime DAC-9 via coax and a Topping D30 via 50ft Toslink) and have nothing to report. I mean that in the best possible way, everything was smooth, 0 issues, can't hear a peep with no music playing. I love this adapter for CAD$52, awesome alternative to those who don't need as high resolution or DSD capability as the D10S and/or don't need the DAC functionality within it.

Didn't bother testing the SMSL because of its poor measurements on coax. If I only needed Toslkink I'd have maybe kept it and saved the $10, but just not worth it for me.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I finally got around to flashing this latest firmware and using the updated driver. For me (Optical output was wanted) to let my MRX740 DAC do its thing. When I first flashed it and unplugged and plugged it back in, the output was nice and loud. I wonder if they just made it max and took out volume control. Nice and clean sound, Tidal no longer pauses when bitrate changes and it passes 24/XX. So far so good for what I needed.

Toku

Major Contributor
The PO100's OPT output seems to be of lower quality than the Topping D10s/D10B's OPT output.
When I connect the DP100's OPT output to a device that works fine with the Topping D10s/D10B's OPT output, the sound intermittently cuts out. At this time, for example, if you do not raise the connection quality setting of S/PDIF to 3 of 1 to 8, you will not be able to connect normally.
It may be unavoidable because it is a cheap product, but it is a bit disappointing.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
The PO100's OPT output seems to be of lower quality than the Topping D10s/D10B's OPT output.
When I connect the DP100's OPT output to a device that works fine with the Topping D10s/D10B's OPT output, the sound intermittently cuts out. At this time, for example, if you do not raise the connection quality setting of S/PDIF to 3 of 1 to 8, you will not be able to connect normally.
It may be unavoidable because it is a cheap product, but it is a bit disappointing.
Where is this setting? Using Optical where both D10S and B will drop connection that to my MRX. I can try it with coax.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Where is this setting ? Using OPtical where both D10S and B will do that to my MRX. I can try it with coax.
Recent products from SMSL and Topping have strictly limited the quality of COAX/OPT signals that can be connected in order to achieve higher sound quality. As a result, there have been many reports of problems such as being unable to connect the OPT output of old CD players and Korean TVs. In order to solve this problem, SMSL Group products have added DPLL setting items and added a function to gradually relax the connection conditions.

The device I tested the PO100 with is from the SMSL Group and the Topping D10s/D10B OPT output worked fine, but the PO100 OPT output did not. At this time, the setting value of DPLL had to be gradually increased to relax the connection conditions, otherwise the connection could not be established.
This DPLL functionality is currently being incorporated into SMSL Group's new line of DACs and amplifiers.

This COAX/OPT connection problem also depends on the type of communication IC used. Due to the difference in communication synchronization method, it occurs more often in products using ESS chips than AKM.

DPLL = Digital Phase Locked Loop (?)

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Recent products from SMSL and Topping have strictly limited the quality of COAX/OPT signals that can be connected in order to achieve higher sound quality. As a result, there have been many reports of problems such as being unable to connect the OPT output of old CD players and Korean TVs. In order to solve this problem, SMSL Group products have added DPLL setting items and added a function to gradually relax the connection conditions.

The device I tested the PO100 with is from the SMSL Group and the Topping D10s/D10B OPT output worked fine, but the PO100 OPT output did not. At this time, the setting value of DPLL had to be gradually increased to relax the connection conditions, otherwise the connection could not be established.
This DPLL functionality is currently being incorporated into SMSL Group's new line of DACs and amplifiers.

This COAX/OPT connection problem also depends on the type of communication IC used. Due to the difference in communication synchronization method, it occurs more often in products using ESS chips than AKM.

DPLL = Digital Phase Locked Loop (?)
Is this setting DPLL value somewhere that can be changed?

Toku

Major Contributor
Is this setting DPLL value somewhere that can be changed?
The following models have DPLL setting items among the models that I know. The settings will appear when you open the menu.
There is no model that can set DPLL in Topping's products.

SMSL C200, DO200, DO100, M500MKlll, SU-6, SU-8s, SU-9, SU-10, VMV D1se,
Sabaj A10d 2022, A20d, A20d 2022, A30a

Top Bottom