• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 vs Topping DX7 Pro

Mutsu

I recently purchased a Topping DX7 Pro and have been disappointed by a few things:
  • Poor remote control: Requires pointing the remote directing in front of the unit and often doesn't register
  • Source volume memory: Does not remember the last used volume when switching between sources
  • Optical connection drop outs: As others have reported, with my LG tv, optical connection drops intermittently for split seconds
  • Potential unit defect: After a couple of hours of usage I get interference noise through one speaker channel (varies), switching the unit on and off corrects this
If these issues didn't exist, I'd be completely happy and keep the unit. But because of them I am sending the unit back.

I'm now searching for a replacement and the SMSL M500 is a contender. My use case / needs are as follows:
  • DAC as Pre-amp
  • XLR output
  • USB and optical inputs
  • Reliable remote control
  • Memory of source volumes
  • Headphone output is not required
  • Optional: Variable input voltage (incase I move countries)
I'd like to know if anyone has experience with both the DX7 Pro and M500 and could put my mind at ease about mainly the remote control. Secondary would be the source volume memory. Last night while attempting to lower the volume slightly, I accidentally switched sources and this blasted music out at night club levels while I frantically pressed the volume button to no avail and had to run to the unit to switch it down manual. The wife was not happy! I'm really hoping to find something with responsive and constant volume controls on the remote (something that seems to be difficult to find these days!).

I'm aware that the optical connection dropout issue seems to be an artefact from my LG tv, but my other DAC (used in another room, RME ADI2) does not exhibit these dropouts when used with the TV. Whether the M500 does not have the optical issue with my tv or not will be a bit of a gamble I think.

FYI I'm based in Japan and from ASR the SMSL M500 seems like the only thing recommended for my use case within a price I'd like to pay. I'd get another ADI2 but it's 3 times the price as the M500 and DX7 Pro here.

Thanks.

OP
M

Mutsu

Unfortunately I can't find a seller of D90 in Japan

jae

Major Contributor
Sabaj D5 might also be a good option on the cheaper side, or the new SMSL M400 but that is approaching RME price.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Secondary would be the source volume memory. Last night while attempting to lower the volume slightly, I accidentally switched sources and this blasted music out at night club levels while I frantically pressed the volume button to no avail and had to run to the unit to switch it down manual.

Well if it doesn't have source volume memory why did volume change when you switched source?

OP
M

Mutsu

Well if it doesn't have source volume memory why did volume change when you switched source?

Ah, I forgot to clarify that point in my original post. My mistake wasn't changing the source, it was cycling through output modes. I think when running XLR + Headphones the volume is reduced vs running through just one.

But there is also quite a large volume discrepancy between optical and USB on it anyway, Optical is significantly quieter, so making the switch to USB at the same volume on the DAC has a much higher perceived volume.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah, I forgot to clarify that point in my original post. My mistake wasn't changing the source, it was cycling through output modes. I think when running XLR + Headphones the volume is reduced vs running through just one.

But there is also quite a large volume discrepancy between optical and USB on it anyway, Optical is significantly quieter, so making the switch to USB at the same volume on the DAC has a much higher perceived volume.

Hmm you unit may be defective, my DX7 pro XLR output volume is the same when outputting XLR only or XLR+ Phone or XLR+RCA+Phone when set at same volume say -30db.

Edit: I just tested again to be sure, they are the same volume.

OP
M

Mutsu

Interesting and thanks for checking. I thought mine was expected behaviour as I saw someone else say the same thing with changing volume between outputs.

I own a Topping Dx7 Pro.
Talk about the shortcomings, the remote control is difficult to use, be sure to stand upright and press the screen. After three weeks of use, any music was played and there was noise, and it disappeared after updating the firmware. There is a problem with the original factory version. It is recommended to buy the new version of m500.(V2)
topping-英_01.jpg

SECA_alan

I have owned the M-500 by SMSL and it is a fine sounding device (and it's measured specs speak for themself). Now it has been in production around seven months, the issues with it are mostly solved by the manufacturer. I believe it is a very fine DAC for the money.

I have no issue with the remote control, it always works and the DAC has never accidentally output high volume.

I have an LG B6 OLED connected via optical, and never once had a dropout with the M-500, or with my new M-400.

Top Bottom