• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 vs Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus?

Taketheflame

Hey all,

So I've been using a DacMagic Plus for about a year or so now. I mainly use it for playback from streaming services, but also some music on my hard drive. Seems to deliver respectable performance for it's price point, although I'm not completely in love with it for whatever reason.

I'm thinking of switching streaming services again, possibly going back to Tidal. But if I did, I'd want to sell my DacMagic Plus and use an MQA-supporting DAC. The SMSL M500 seems to be a pretty well loved option on here for $400-ish DACs, which would be right around my budget point. Seems to tick all the boxes for what I need too.

I guess my main question is this - am I likely to really hear any audible difference between the M500 and the DacMagic plus with non-MQA material? I just want to make sure I'm not making any kind of downgrade over the DacMagic if I were to switch (i.e - I wouldn't want to switch for MQA alone).

Thanks! :)

gvl

Major Contributor
From the measurements point of view it's very unlikely there will be any differences between the 2 given an unsighted test for non hi-res material. For hi-res, maybe someone with very sharp trained ear can pick something, but also doubtful.

OP
T

Taketheflame

So in other words - the main differences I should expect would be the MQA support, and the remote that the SMSL offers?

gvl

Major Contributor
There may also be headphone amp differences if that matters. M500 can play DSD and higher PCM rates, which you're unlikely going to need.

Top Bottom