• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

scherbakov_al

I watched the topic "high 3rd harmonic". I also found this problem on my device. This caused frustration. Yesterday, thanks to @jdoe, I decided to reflash my device. Recently I have been studying programming of the STM32f103 microcontroller and realized that reflashing the device would not be a problem for me. But when disassembling, I was in a hurry and was sloppy. When taking out the boards, I disconnected the loop leading to the control knob and the screen. This caused problems - it is completely difficult to reach the connectors in order to connect it all back. OK. I soldered the wires to the pins as shown in the photo by @jdoe. I downloaded his firmware folder. For the firmware I used a cheap ST-Link, which I use to flash the microcontroller. (As @overherz showed) I used the STM32CubeProgrammer program, which is available on st.com. The firmware has occurred. I plugged in the device and it didn't work. I am disappointed. But I decided to calm down and try again more carefully and carefully. And yes! The device started working. Then I had to suffer to get the adjustment knob into the hole on the front panel (I came up with the idea of sticking this small scarf on the plastic protection on the board). Also, not the first time I did the correct connection of the loop to the adjustment knob (turning the knob led to the fact that I was chaotically jumping around the menu). It was also not the first time that it was possible to correctly connect the cable from the display (connecting it on one side, it left the other). Nevertheless, I managed to assemble the device and it worked !! It was happiness). Now I have a new line in the menu: DPLL. I have tested the SMSL outputs with steinberg UR22C and REW. Different versions of testing on channels showed exactly the same harmonic values. So the problem is solved! Yes, now there is no increase in the 3rd harmonic. (it used to be). @jdoe, thanks a lot for describing the firmware process! Happinnes exists! As for the sound, I would like to hope that it has become a little better with the clarity of the spaciousness, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

jdoe

So the problem is solved! Yes, now there is no increase in the 3rd harmonic. (it used to be). @jdoe, thanks a lot for describing the firmware process! Happinnes exists! As for the sound, I would like to hope that it has become a little better with the clarity of the spaciousness, but I'm not sure.
You're welcome!
And yes, I think it is possible to pull out boards only few cm without detaching cables in order to solder wires, or even create/3d print custom clamp for quick snap-on, in that case it is not necessary to completely disassemble device. I hope it might help more members to fix their devices.

jdoe

Thank you. Wondering if the US dealer can upgrade?
I think local electronics repair shop could do the same, maybe you can contact and explain that you need to rewrite flash via JTAG and provide link to the post with wiring diagrams. It should be an easy task for person who does laptop/pc repair and has experience with FLASH ROM upgrades.

jdoe

Thank you. I've struggled to find the very latest M500 firmware / drivers. Can someone repost please?
Here is list of files which I have:
M500_Firmware_Fix.zip - used for STM32 chip upgrade in order to fix high 3rd harmonics
M500_USB2.01_Winbond_25X40_BIOS_FLASH.zip - used to fix stuck USB driver version (only in case if your device stuck on 1.5 and wont update)
M500_Windows_Driver_And_USB_Interface_Upgrade_Tool.zip - Windows drivers and USB interface upgrade tool
M500 works find on Linux, at least I'm able to plug it to RaspberryPi and automatically detect it using DietPI OS configuration tools.
I never run it on Mac, because I don't have any device with MacOS. I think it should be installed automatically when you plug it to the MacOS device.

foxxx0

Forum Donor
Alright, finally I got some time to fix 3rd harmonics issue. Here you can find instruction and resources to do the same fix for M500.

[...]
Thank you very much for this well written and detailed guide! :D

I had already placed the M500 into "temporary" status until I would be able to order one of these brilliant okto dac8 stereo models.

But with this fix I think I might keep it and save the money.
Soldering iron, pin headers, wires, programmers, linux and the required experience and skills are available to me anyways. With some thoughtful preparation and thanks to your guide this looks like a fun exercise for a weekend's afternoon.

Somewhere in the next weeks I'll try to find the time to fix my M500 as well.

Thanks again for the comprehensive write-up, your efforts, research and time will allow others to follow along without needing to deep dive into all the specifics. :)

M500_Firmware_Fix.zip - used for STM32 chip upgrade in order to fix high 3rd harmonics
M500_USB2.01_Winbond_25X40_BIOS_FLASH.zip - used to fix stuck USB driver version (only in case if your device stuck on 1.5 and wont update)
M500_Windows_Driver_And_USB_Interface_Upgrade_Tool.zip - Windows drivers and USB interface upgrade tool
M500 works find on Linux, at least I'm able to plug it to RaspberryPi and automatically detect it using DietPI OS configuration tools.
I never run it on Mac, because I don't have any device with MacOS. I think it should be installed automatically when you plug it to the MacOS device.
Thank you very much!

3 questions:

1. From what I'm gathering here, this is the only upgrade I can do without opening up the M500, correct?

2. It unzips to an EXE file, which is PC only. How can I do it on Mac?

3. Is this legit? https://www.touslesdrivers.com/php/constructeurs/telechargement.php?v_code=64504&v_langue=fr

My SW is 1.7
HW is 1.3
Dated 2020-5-30

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jdoe

2. It unzips to an EXE file, which is PC only. How can I do it on Mac?
Please contact [email protected] and [email protected], I hope they know how to upgrade USB drivers for MacOS. In my opinion if your device works fine while playing high-res files you might not need to upgrade USB. Only in case if MQA or FLAC files playback does not work properly you need to upgrade USB firmware.

Ilumo

Wow. Awesome write ups guys. That said, I have a layup.
Has anyone tried using the m500 as a dac for a tube amp? I have a xduoo tr-30 amp coming in the mail soon but I think the dac on the m500 might better. I’ll be pairing these dac/amp with an 8XX and arya and see how those sound.

fidgetymo

Hey jdoe,

Do you know if I need to upgrade based on the firmware I already have?
SW1.7
HW1.3
2020-5-30

I noticed that when you upgraded your firmware to the "fixed" version, it's the same as the one I already have.

Thanks!

fidgetymo

you can use any JTAG/SWD programmer tool

hi jdoe,

if i use the st-link USB programmer tool you mentioned and correctly connect the wires, does that mean i can simply follow the instruction PDF in the firmware update .zip you provided and use the JLINK software to update the firmware?

also, do you know if it matters which 3.3v PWR and GND pins I use?

Last edited:

jdoe

Do you know if I need to upgrade based on the firmware I already have?
SW1.7
HW1.3
2020-5-30
I can't provide definitive answer, the best way is to measure your unit for 3rd harmonics in stereo mode. Did you buy it year ago or recently? I think all M500 have fixed firmware since July.
if i use the st-link USB programmer tool you mentioned and correctly connect the wires, does that mean i can simply follow the instruction PDF in the firmware update .zip you provided and use the JLINK software to update the firmware?
Yes, you can connect ST-Link tool by connecting wires directly to the board and follow instructions from PDF.
also, do you know if it matters which 3.3v PWR and GND pins I use?
You can use any +3.3 and GND pins, it is just source of power and ground.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They should make it Roon ready

fidgetymo

I used the STM32CubeProgrammer program, which is available on st.com.

Hello schebakov_al,

Could you please write a guide on the steps you took to configure STM32CubeProgrammer and the ST-link to flash the memory? Thank you very much in advance.

scherbakov_al

Hello schebakov_al,

Could you please write a guide on the steps you took to configure STM32CubeProgrammer and the ST-link to flash the memory? Thank you very much in advance.

When everything is soldered and connected. Then everything is simple:

Снимок экрана 2021-10-05 в 12.24.30.png

Снимок экрана 2021-10-05 в 12.25.18.png

Снимок экрана 2021-10-05 в 12.26.20.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom