• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 MKIII DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 219 77.7%

• Total voters

BostonJack

Editor

okok

hey! es9038 runs very very hot, why there's no thermal pad on it? they are using thermal stuff in some previous products and amir nailed it (unstable without proper disspation)

Nango

Major Contributor
At last... S.M.S.L understood that the volume has to be displayed bigger than the sample rate.:p
View attachment 236718

Performance is out of this word. Thanks for the review, @amirm ! Is your dashboard at 4.18Vrms done at max volume? Previous version had higher output voltage (at least the mk1).

Edit: pics of inputs and DAC boards:View attachment 236721View attachment 236722
I count up to 5 different fonts for 5 different labels and indicators on this front. Even both "1" on the display are different source. Seems like every single indicator is contributed by a different engineer or company. And Serifs on displays still look just awful.

raif71

Major Contributor
I count up to 5 different fonts for 5 different labels and indicators on this front. Even both "1" on the display are different source. Seems like every single indicator is contributed by a different engineer or company. And Serifs on displays still look just awful.
1665583714332.png

jacobacci

I sympathize with the team at SMLS. I would probably make a huge mess of designing a screen with Chinese characters. Someone on this forum must know the folks at SMLS. With a bit of help, it should be a piece of cake to fix the awful looking "PCM" label and sort out the fonts in general

Nango

Major Contributor
Do you really think a Mfr selling DAC at these prices into a different continent with different characters and idiom is not paying for a consultant?? That wonders me.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
While the formfactor remains the same as previous generations, the display is upgraded to have high contrast and attractive color. Great that volume level if emphasized.
index.php

SMSL took our suggestions and ran with them. Excellent!:

For our contribution to the advancement of this stellar performer, @xaviescacs and I await our complimentary SMSL M500 mkIII DACs.

Timmeon

I don't think the use of color adds anything of value with so much screen real estate on a desktop device. Makes it look cheap. Simple information, simple display. Easy fix:
apos-audio-smsl-headphone-dac-amp-smsl-m500-mkiii-bluetooth-dac-amp-37525394751724_1500x1500.png

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For our contribution to the advancement of this stellar performer, @xaviescacs and I await our complimentary SMSL M500 mkIII DACs.
Yeah baby :cool: This is how it works, we do something for them, they do something for us, right?
I don't think the use of color adds anything of value with so much screen real estate on a desktop device. Makes it look cheap. Simple information, simple display. Easy fix:
View attachment 236774
Add one more for @Timmeon! Completely agree with him. I wrote this post in another thread some weeks ago.

Tks

Major Contributor
Toslink better than USB? Lets freakin go, great to see finally! I knew that TOSLINK could be better in some implementations simply in virtue of the noise rejection inherent to not having conductive material as transport.

And here I thought we were slowly losing decent TOSLINK jacks from Toshiba or whoever produces the good ones anymore..

xnor

Amir load in balanced mode is 200k ohm. I have schematic. It is basic one. OPA1612 in I/V configuration, with R=350 ohm. Over R there is an C=... I do not remember his value..mmm In the output of the opamp is a serie R=100 or 120 ohm and after that C= 10nF. After that again R=100 or 120 ohm in serie. The same thing for minus XLR rail. All that is repeated of 8 times in parallel. There isn't any buffer.
Nope, that still makes no sense.
First, the load is gonna be the impedance of the line-in. That's at least 10k Ohm. And an OPA1612 has 0 issues driving such a load.
That's why your "200k" statement is completely irrelevant.

Secondly, if it really is a 120 ohm/10 nF lowpass then at 2.1V it would reach 10 mA at ~100 kHz ... if you had a full-scale signal at 100 kHz. Which is never gonna happen with anything resembling music, and OPA161x can drive harder loads anyway. So this objection is invalid.

So no, no extra buffer is needed and it wouldn't improve performance either. It would most likely make it worse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom