• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 MKIII DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 219 77.7%

• Total voters

We all are. I do not "listen to graphs" either.;)

Yet,

I would still ask for actual proof that any of your claims could be verified when related to audibility.
It is about opamp current limmiting. 10mA is too high and the protection circuit can trip at this opamp. I'm not talking about functioning in class A anymore wich is at aprox 2mA for OPA1612.

I am interested in technology not in ping pong discussions. So i stop here.
The problems start at high frequency in the I/V converters. Over 350 ohm you have a big capacitor if you want a low-pass filter. That capacitor is between input and output. The output stage must drive that capacitor. After that, at the output of OPA1612, there is onother low-pass filter, R=100 ohm + C=10nF if I remember correctly. It is not easy task for the opamp.

Attachments

• smsl m500mk3.jpg
    smsl m500mk3.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 188

okok

mk2 measures so good, not sure why they need to do this plus pro max apple path, the whole circumstances is so bad and overpriced

TNT

3rd is even lower with RCA... 10 dB lower.

//

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The problems start at high frequency in the I/V converters. Over 350 ohm you have a big capacitor if you want a low-pass filter. That capacitor is between input and output. The output stage must drive that capacitor. After that, at the output of OPA1612, there is onother low-pass filter, R=100 ohm + C=10nF if I remember correctly. It is not easy task for the opamp.

Now we have a better communication basis. Because of the lack of the schematic, we can only make some assumptions about the reality. Anyhow, if I correct interpret your post you see the problem of this type of DAC's in the output drive capability.
As I know, Amir is measuring balanced outputs with around 2x 47k. This was (is) since a long time the standard input impedance of amp's. So we will see no problems with the measurements. Because a wide range (all) of DAC's will not be really loaded with this impedance.
To the feedback capacitor, we can see different values from manufacturer to manufacturer because it is also layout depending. As well, we can see that the Ess DAC's have a problem with the output stage (Hump) and from this case, the 1612 was the best choice for I/V convertors (bandwidth…)
The output impedance is for my application from interest because I would like to run a Purifi amp in direct mode with its much lower input impedance. I guess (hope)with 4 ops parallel, it would be a manageable load for it.

Now we have a better communication basis. Because of the lack of the schematic, we can only make some assumptions about the reality. Anyhow, if I correct interpret your post you see the problem of this type of DAC's in the output drive capability.
As I know, Amir is measuring balanced outputs with around 2x 47k. This was (is) since a long time the standard input impedance of amp's. So we will see no problems with the measurements. Because a wide range (all) of DAC's will not be really loaded with this impedance.
To the feedback capacitor, we can see different values from manufacturer to manufacturer because it is also layout depending. As well, we can see that the Ess DAC's have a problem with the output stage (Hump) and from this case, the 1612 was the best choice for I/V convertors (bandwidth…)
The output impedance is for my application from interest because I would like to run a Purifi amp in direct mode with its much lower input impedance. I guess (hope)with 4 ops parallel, it would be a manageable load for it.

Amir load in balanced mode is 200k ohm. I have schematic. It is basic one. OPA1612 in I/V configuration, with R=350 ohm. Over R there is an C=... I do not remember his value..mmm In the output of the opamp is a serie R=100 or 120 ohm and after that C= 10nF. After that again R=100 or 120 ohm in serie. The same thing for minus XLR rail. All that is repeated of 8 times in parallel. There isn't any buffer.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Interesting to see one of these tested after 2 year of use.
This MkIII model came out 2 months ago and all the previous models have been tested here and L7 I think;

JSmith

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Got it. From my little experience measuring DACs, I found that ≈4.2Vrms is much more common than 4.0Vrms anyway. ;)
This seems to have become almost standard, just as ~2.1 V has for RCA. Is this for genuine performance reasons, or just to fool people in subjective comparisons because it will sound very slightly louder?

morillon

Major Contributor
I'll be curious to see if there are smalls differences listed in ap32 multitones (32 it's not much.. maybe it would be good to standardize observations in much more numerous multitones closer to reality?) between usb and toslink...? (
even if the differences on the j-test side are not huge (just on the jitter side), so sometimes it differs a lot...)
;-)
(pkane multitone (congratulations to him) even allows you to generate the only files probably observable via the ap555 (?))

Last edited:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir load in balanced mode is 200k ohm. I have schematic. It is basic one. OPA1612 in I/V configuration, with R=350 ohm. Over R there is an C=... I do not remember his value..mmm In the output of the opamp is a serie R=100 or 120 ohm and after that C= 10nF. After that again R=100 or 120 ohm in serie. The same thing for minus XLR rail. All that is repeated of 8 times in parallel. There isn't any buffer.
Can you share the schematic?

evan123

Great! Technically almost perfect. For me will be interesting such product (I would it bay to upgrade my system) with a few additional features: cross-feed, PEQ, DSP… Only a few dB for me are not decisive enough.
If your source is a computer, it’s easy to do that in software and the software will probably do a better job? Agree otherwise that we need to upgrade the humans next, as the hardware can already be good enough today. :)

Top Bottom