• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 190 83.7%

• Total voters

gonzoznog

After doing more research, I am torn b/n this M500 MKII, a VMV D1SE or the DO200. I like nearly everything about this, but am hesitant bc of the "DAC concerns" people have expressed. Wondering how much extra performance I would get by going with one of the more expensive choices.
I do plan on using both PCM and DSD files. I was super close to buying the M500 but am really smitten with the D1SE tbh. Money absolutely is a concern though and they seem very similar, on paper at least.

Last edited:

Vangelo

I actually received and set up the M500-II today but have only streamed through it via my Fire tablet. So rar no problems. I've run through the menus changing filters/colors etc. but have not found any real benefit there. I also hooked it up to a set of Elac Navis which are newly arrived and it's a great combination. Comparing directly with Elac UB52's, the Navis sound "bigger, warmer, more complete". As well they should. I only mention it because I had some system matching worries. But no, they're fine. I am very pleased with the sound and, for the first time in a long time, I have imaging suffcient to having the speakers *disappear*. Oh yeah, I'm happy.
This is a magical combination, especially with M500mk2.
I was using M400 with Navis, and it was too laid back. The M500 brought everything to life. Just using XLR cables for hook-up, and high gain setting on Navis.
I also tried the Kali IN-5, which are kinda cheap clones of the Navis. Ugh.....I know they are 1/4 the price, but the reviews were impressive. The were Kalis were awful......bloated bass and veiled mids/highs. I suppose if you make your mix sound good on these, they will excel on the Navis. Sent them back. The Navis have me totally spoiled.....
I have the speakers facing fully forward, no toe-in. Give a huge wide soundstage with sharp imaging & space in between instruments which just pop! Bass slams with fast stops & starts, but is also textured & detailed. I dont care so much about extension as I use with OB clamshell subs. Here the HPF on the Navis is vital & works perfectly allowing seamless integration.
I also owned the passive Uni-Fi Reference before. A nice speaker, but too laid back, let down by its huge cross-over which just saps power & dynamics. Not a patch on the Navis.

Last edited:

E-Lint

I remain very pleased with the setup. I also found that the higher gain setting on the Navis was best. I tried increasing upper frequencies via the backside switches but didn't care for it, at least on the tracks I played. So, back to flat. The different PCM filters in the 500 haven't impressed me yet. Every time I go back to baselne, fast roll off I think, it just sounds right so I have left it alone. Pretty stoked that the two them seem to go together so well as is. Not a natural course of events usually.

Good for you too Gonzonog. Always nice when a *deal* happens!

E-Lint

Just a short followup....the headphone output works very well and will provide more opportunities to work through the different filters/colors in the 500-2. I am always very sceptical of those sorts of things but I'll keep exploring. The realism (a word I try to use without other audiophile gobbletygook) through the phones is just really special (easily understandable considering most of my listening has been streaming bluetooth). One telling attribute - you notice the quality of recordings right away. Still waiting for various cables, pieces (blue ray specifically) before going full hardwire. A few more words about the Navis - continuing good impression. The bass is so strong for a small speaker but you need to hqve it up to a reasonable level to take advantage. A subwoofer may yet be called for to even out listening at lower SPL. But, until then, this works! Happy camper so far.

Last edited:

James-F

If you still can easily check can you do crosstalk?

A novice audiophile question, I don't see very frequent in the measurement reports that include the crosstalk measurement. Is it difficult to measure? Thanks

It's around -70db

Source:

Worse than EX5 which is around -87db according to L7AudioLab measurement.
It saddens me that I need to use Google and Youtube to find Crosstalk values. :confused:

Top Bottom