• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC Only “Thermal Issue” not “Golden Sample”

maxxevv

Major Contributor

While you are at it, do you have a temperature reading at its best SINAD performance point ?

It would be an interesting point of reference in future investigations.

I just tell some facts and complaints.

I just tell some facts and complaints.

No worries, not disputing that, just saying my point of view on such stuff. Usually the smaller companies are more responsive to technical issues in my experience.

Temperature in electronics plays a very important role. One assumption would be that the resistors in the i / v converter are high temco.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While you are at it, do you have a temperature reading at its best SINAD performance point ?

It would be an interesting point of reference for reference in future investigations.

The infrared photo below is the time when the highest performance ...

ninetylol

No. My first one is just like this one, and its performance improves as the temperature rises ...
Sorry you are right, that was Amirs M500. Still seems to be a difference from Retail units and the one Amir got sent.

Sorry you are right, that was Amirs M500. Still seems to be a difference from Retail units and the one Amir got sent.
The most probably the differences come from the resistors with lower tempco and/or better capacitors.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
The most probably the differences come from the resistors with lower tempco and/or better capacitors.

From the curve, the temperature coefficient between Amir and I is not much different.

It's just the opposite ... So it should be another change.

Anyway, getting rid of the "golden sample" makes me feel a lot happier

headwhacker

Forum Donor
So this is a Sabaj D5 do-over and putting a heatsink over the 9038Pro chip is not recommended. I'm curious what is the stable operating temp(or range) which performance does not fluctuate or suffer.

Last edited:

headwhacker

Forum Donor
This might explain the origins of the audiophile 'break-in' myth :)
It's not just only common in Audiophile gear. I also hear it on other electronic stuff. First time I heard of 'break-in' was purchasing my very first PC ages ago. But I can imagine an audiophile using this thread as reference for "break-in" exists.

I think a remote temperature probe placed on the chip to allow it to warm up to the requisite temperature for best performance point might be good enough ?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=temperature+probe&crid=3NM5H50VEBK5G&sprefix=termperature+pr,aps,381&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_15

Are you sure about 9038Pro temperature problem ? Maybe it is from another components. The chip 9038Pro will heat in few minutes not in 2 hours. I think the are another fake parts, resistors, capacitors and maybe..... op-amps.

Reactions: Tks

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Are you sure about 9038Pro temperature problem ? Maybe it is from another components. The chip 9038Pro will heat in few minutes not in 2 hours. I think the are another fake parts, resistors, capacitors and maybe..... op-amps.

I'm just suggesting a plausible solution based on what the measurements show. As to why it behaves that way is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Veri

Master Contributor
Maybe it is from another components. The chip 9038Pro will heat in few minutes not in 2 hours. I think the are another fake parts, resistors, capacitors and maybe..... op-amps.
As good a theory as any but yes. Not impossible..?

half_dog

@WolfX-700 could you check and the SW and HW version of this new unit? Well, maybe there no golden sample, but (I'm not sure if I reading those past graphs right) it seems this new unit performs better than your friend's unit after warming up, no?

P.S.: I don't know how to thank you. I appreciate a lot your work.

mkawa

Forum Donor
running the dac cooler is better for longevity. i wonder if a production process increased the efficiency of the heatsinking recently. shrug? just stuck mine on top of a space heater.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 could you check and the SW and HW version of this new unit? Well, maybe there no golden sample, but (I'm not sure if I reading those past graphs right) it seems this new unit performs better than your friend's unit after warming up, no?

P.S.: I don't know how to thank you. I appreciate a lot your work.

SW1.5 HW 1.2

I didn't use warm pad before. And it was very cold that day ...

I'll warm up my friend's one later ... with Warm pad

TC!!

SW1.5 HW 1.2

I didn't use warm pad before. And it was very cold that day ...

I'll warm up my friend's one later ... with Warm pad
and then rip it to pieces and show us its guts!!

Seriously though, check there's no screws under the feet.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not just only common in Audiophile gear. I also hear it on other electronic stuff. First time I heard of 'break-in' was purchasing my very first PC ages ago. But I can imagine an audiophile using this thread as reference for "break-in" exists.
Don't tube equipment also require this heat-up time before they're at optimum performance levels?
Whether this also applies to power cable break-in is another matter - I have found that my Home Depot extension cords take much longer to break in than the ones I bought at Radio Shack 10 years ago to connect my Christmas lights. Obviously, zero advances in power cord technology.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Thanks for all your additional work @WolfX-700! I think the takeaway is just enjoy the thing. Mine sounded great before I saw this thread and it sounds great now. My unit is on all day anyway so bonus there too. The red unit looks pretty damn cool.

Top Bottom