• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC need help

Artola

I accidentally turned off the display on M500. Unfortunately I need the exact sequence on the remote control to get to dimmer to turn up the screen. Anyone with a M500 could help me to get my screen on.Thanks

Aikaveikko

I did the factory reset to get mine working again.
Connect the power cord when pressing the power button, until the screen shows
the logo. Then stop pressing and restart the unit.
Power button means the button/volume control on the front.

Jaysz

You can just follow the sequence by looking at the manual
it still works without the screen on
I did the same
This dac sounds good but has few things not ideal

OP
A

Artola

I accidentally turned off the display on M500. Unfortunately I need the exact sequence on the remote control to get to dimmer to turn up the screen. Anyone with a M500 could help me to get my screen on.Thanks
I did the factory reset to get mine working again.
Connect the power cord when pressing the power button, until the screen shows
the logo. Then stop pressing and restart the unit.
Power button means the button/volume control on the front.
Thanks for the help I got the display back on

NielsMayer

@SMSL-Mandy -- are there any fixes to the low volume level issues found only when using USB?

I have to turn volume up to "40" (100%) just to get reasonable playback level both for headphone and XLR output. Other inputs function as expected with "very loud" already achieved at "20". My setyp has M500 directly feeding XLR inputs on power-amp.

I am seeing this issue on both Linux (Ubuntu 19, Debian 10) and Android TV (Android 9, NVIDIA Shield) as well as Android Mobile (Android 8, LG Quad DAC device, USB Audio Player Pro) I do not use Mac or PC to see if this issue is platform related. FYI, for Tidal, on Linux with Kodi and Tidal2 plugin, I'm able to achieve the MQA "blue" decoding status. With USB Audio Player Pro on Android, I get MQA "magenta" decoding status. (What's the difference?) --> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-smsl-m500.8857/post-243930

I'd love to try out a fix instead of using amazon prime free returns to return my M500, because, I really like how it sounds and the significant value it delivers at a reasonable price, to the point where I could see keeping it if there was some promise of a working fix. Unfortunately, the volume issue is a real showstopper, especially because of the tremendous, speaker-blowing volume difference you get switching between USB and other inputs.

I've got SW 1.4, HW 1.2 2019-7-28

Thanks,
Niels.

Last edited:

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@SMSL-Mandy -- are there any fixes to the low volume level issues found only when using USB?

I have to turn volume up to "40" (100%) just to get reasonable playback level both for headphone and XLR output. Other inputs function as expected with "very loud" already achieved at "20". My setyp has M500 directly feeding XLR inputs on power-amp.

I am seeing this issue on both Linux (Ubuntu 19, Debian 10) and Android TV (Android 9, NVIDIA Shield) as well as Android Mobile (Android 8, LG Quad DAC device, USB Audio Player Pro) I do not use Mac or PC to see if this issue is platform related. FYI, for Tidal, on Linux with Kodi and Tidal2 plugin, I'm able to achieve the MQA "blue" decoding status. With USB Audio Player Pro on Android, I get MQA "magenta" decoding status. (What's the difference?) --> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-smsl-m500.8857/post-243930

I'd love to try out a fix instead of using amazon prime free returns to return my M500, because, I really like how it sounds and the significant value it delivers at a reasonable price, to the point where I could see keeping it if there was some promise of a working fix. Unfortunately, the volume issue is a real showstopper, especially because of the tremendous, speaker-blowing volume difference you get switching between USB and other inputs.

Thanks,
Niels.

Can you try it with the Hiby Music App? That is some problem setup of the android Mobile.

pirxel

Thanks,
Niels.
Strange man, I have no issue whatsoever with volume on either the headphone or rca outs (with the usb input), but I'm on windows (came back from Linux recently actually, but only shortly before I got this unit). I use it to power h650s and a pair of kef q100 speakers with an smsl sa98e amp. I'd suggest checking alsa, but if you said the other inputs works as intended I'd assume it's a faulty unit. So I'd really consider a swap, maybe with prime they can send you a new unit while you'll still have 30 days to return the old one, so you could even run some comparisons and let us know ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom