• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

You're welcome.

Just avoid Pi2. Pi3 is ok, needs less power than Pi4 and temperature is well controlled.

You didn't talk about Pi400 :) ?

Don't hesitate if you have other questions I can help.

I finally found the time to set this up and your instructions were spot on. All working perfectly. Thanks again for your time and help sorting this. Much appreciated.

Very possibly I'm imagining it, but the sound does seem a little more dynamic and lively. I'm enjoying it even if I am imagining it...

I have a Gustard x16 dac arriving next week (hopefully!) for my office system. Any idea whether the same picoreplayer settings will work with that?

No plans to get a pi400! I've promised myself no more pis until the 5 comes out, there'll be no point pretending I'll be able to resist then :)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I finally found the time to set this up and your instructions were spot on. All working perfectly. Thanks again for your time and help sorting this. Much appreciated.

Very possibly I'm imagining it, but the sound does seem a little more dynamic and lively. I'm enjoying it even if I am imagining it...

I have a Gustard x16 dac arriving next week (hopefully!) for my office system. Any idea whether the same picoreplayer settings will work with that?

No plans to get a pi400! I've promised myself no more pis until the 5 comes out, there'll be no point pretending I'll be able to resist then :)

I have also (re)ordered a Gustard X16. At the moment all these DACs are using the same XMOS USB microcontroller, I am pretty sure it will be more or less the same settings.

When the X16 will be in your hands, will you be kind enough to share with us your first feeling?

I have also (re)ordered a Gustard X16. At the moment all these DACs are using the same XMOS USB microcontroller, I am pretty sure it will be more or less the same settings.

When the X16 will be in your hands, will you be kind enough to share with us your first feeling?

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, will do, I’m no audiophile and won’t be a/b testing against the m500, but happy to share general impressions on the x16.

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, will do, I’m no audiophile and won’t be a/b testing against the m500, but happy to share general impressions on the x16.

Hi all, I’ve had the x16 set up for a few days. Possibly not fully burned in if you think that’s a thing. Some positives and negatives compared to the M500. I guess at this level i shouldn’t expect much of a difference in sound quality between the two dacs without a/b switching and even then... Anyway, general impressions are that I am liking the x16 sound just a little bit more than the m500 but that is very possibly placebo born of wanting to feel I’ve made an upgrade purchase! I am very happy with the m500 and will continue to use it, just in a different system.

The x16 seems to me to be a bit more dynamic, a little more engaging, spacious and holographic but as stated, probably placebo. And I would not claim to be a reliable and proficient audiophile in terms of assessing the qualities of equipment, I just love music :)

A definite downside with the x16 compared with the m500 that probably would have been a dealbreaker for me had I known before purchase, is that the x16 doesn’t have a standby option and there’s no way to turn off via the remote. You need to physically turn it off at the unit - with the on-off switch at the back of the unit! Also, with my unit there’s a thump if you turn it on when the amp is already on. So I need to switch the unit on before switching the amp on to avoid the thump.

Another downside with the x16 is the size of the font used to indicate which source is selected. It’s ridiculously small, I can’t read it from a few metres away and I have pretty good vision.

Despite the above, I am really enjoying listening to the x16 and very pleased I bought it.

I’ve only tested the x16 with two sources so far, usb from a Windows pc with flac files and premium Deezer, and an old Arcam 72 CD player via coaxial. And only with an Arcam a29 integrated amp hooked up to Quad S2 speakers. Not tried it with a dedicated headphone amp or with headphones connected to the a29 yet. I’ve mainly listened to simple acoustic, guitar based tracks, but also some indie, jazz and classical. Very happy with the sound across the board.

Hope that’s helpful :)

Last edited:

miguelx74

Hi everyone.
I connected the smsl m500 to the pc with the USB cable and I had no problem.
I also connected the smsl m500 to the TV with an optical cable. I noticed that the audio cuts out for an instant every two minutes or so! Then the audio resumes normally. But that moment's interruption bothers me. How can I solve?

Veri

Master Contributor
I also connected the smsl m500 to the TV with an optical cable. I noticed that the audio cuts out for an instant every two minutes or so! Then the audio resumes normally. But that moment's interruption bothers me. How can I solve?
IIRC in the configuration on the M500 you should find a setting DPLL strength. It tighters or loosens the lock on the input signal, in your case optical. You should try lowering it (I don't recall if 1 is lowest or 9 is lowest, haha). Let me know if you find it :)

miguelx74

thanks for the reply.
Now I'm at work and I don't have the m500 smsl in front of me. However, remember that in the settings there is DPLL and I left the default value: 7.
Should I therefore change this value?

Veri

Master Contributor
thanks for the reply.
Now I'm at work and I don't have the m500 smsl in front of me. However, remember that in the settings there is DPLL and I left the default value: 7.
Should I therefore change this value?
I think 9 is lowest, I would try it. If the default (7) is already giving problems there might be some other issue, though :/

miguelx74

What bad news you gave me!
I read a comment on amazon.it.
A user complains of the same problem.
He claims this is a common problem for the SMSL M500. The SMSL M500 does not work well when connected with the optical cable to the TV.
I can try to set DPLL to 9 instead of 7.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi everyone.
I connected the smsl m500 to the pc with the USB cable and I had no problem.
Did you check the light output settings of your TV?
It is necessary to set to PCM 2ch.
Is your TV made by Samsung or LG in South Korea?

miguelx74

I have an LG B9 OLED TV.
If I set "OPTICAL" in the audio settings, I can choose between passtrought and pcm.

However I chose "SPEAKER TV + OPTICAL". This way the audio going to the SMSL M500 is always PCM.

I have updated the firmware to version 2.06 (same firmware as M400) and I no longer notice the problem

reddeath

I recently purchased M500 and when it finally arrived yesterday, the version is: SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3.
As I understand 1.6 is not the latest, because other users reported having 1.7 some months ago already. I don't understand why I got an older version. I ordered from hifi-express and the unit, despite choosing delivery from EU, arrived from China.
I don't see the DPLL setting in the menu. Was it added in SW 1.7?
Is it possible to update 1.6 to 1.7? I have not encountered any updated files for download that can do it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I recently purchased M500 and when it finally arrived yesterday, the version is: SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3.
As I understand 1.6 is not the latest, because other users reported having 1.7 some months ago already. I don't understand why I got an older version. I ordered from hifi-express and the unit, despite choosing delivery from EU, arrived from China.
I don't see the DPLL setting in the menu. Was it added in SW 1.7?
Is it possible to update 1.6 to 1.7? I have not encountered any updated files for download that can do it.
Best to contact SMSL :/ @SMSL-Mandy ?

Top Bottom