• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

alfredinho

I don't know about the pricing, i bought it (new fw) :D
What i like
- ESS, realy analitical
- Balanced
- Powerfull amp ( pared to thx 789, the soundtage is good, but less depth)
- The size (not stackable, but for my place its great)

A pared it with xduoo ta-20.
OK, but what you say in relation to sound (and this is most important), your description of sound is not in favour of m500 dac.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, but what you say in relation to sound (and this is most important), your description of sound is not in favour of m500 dac.

Regardless of what they, or anyone else, says about the sound, it is transparent. If we are talking about the rear outputs. "Analytical", "murky", "airy" and any other number of descriptors dont really mean much when it is transparent per the measurements.

Headphone amp is a bit weedy for some use cases but I got the sense you were talking about using it as DAC, not headamp.

alfredinho

Yes I am mostly interested in DAC sound in general as it is more pure than adding headphone circuit.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I am mostly interested in DAC sound in general as it is more pure than adding headphone circuit.

It should sound no different to any other competent DAC, regardless of price. It is transparent to the source material.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
@Toku, yes the pop is irritating. That's my only issue with my V1 M500. I use it directly to my Bryston 4B3 in my main system, and other than the turn off pop, it's stellar. In my case, the turn off pop isn't even that bad because the 4B3 has a 23 dB lower gain option which I use. My speakers aren't overly sensitive either at about 87 dB/m SPL. If you had efficient speakers, and/or a high gain amp, it would be a major issue.

Otherwise, it's great. It sounds fantastic, fully transparent. I also really like the display with the tempered glass, well built look and feel. I also love the displayed volume on volume changes. It's a super large font that takes over the display momentarily. This makes it great as a stereo system preamp to use via remote from across the room.

alfredinho

@Toku, yes the pop is irritating. That's my only issue with my V1 M500. I use it directly to my Bryston 4B3 in my main system, and other than the turn off pop, it's stellar. In my case, the turn off pop isn't even that bad because the 4B3 has a 23 dB lower gain option which I use. My speakers aren't overly sensitive either at about 87 dB/m SPL. If you had efficient speakers, and/or a high gain amp, it would be a major issue.

Otherwise, it's great. It sounds fantastic, fully transparent. I also really like the display with the tempered glass, well built look and feel. I also love the displayed volume on volume changes. It's a super large font that takes over the display momentarily. This makes it great as a stereo system preamp to use via remote from across the room.
Cheers you will make me purchase it... Hope you not a seller or something :)

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Never tried, but optional, I would think.

Either one should do the job.

A-9110 - supposed to be more musical, has a preamp built-in (it's an integrated amplifier).
But way less power/control over the speakers (30W into 8 Ohm).

Crown - the opposite on everything. Less musical, no preamp, but should have amazing control over the speakers (215W into 8 Ohm).
Again - _supposed_ to be. Never heard either one.

RCA outs of course:).

You can also run the preouts from the Monolith into the power amplifier (the two RCA outs with "P").
I just asked the below in another thread on the forum, but given my proposed setup is heavily influenced by this DAC, I wanted to re-post here:

So it appears the Onkyo A-9110 is either discontinued or out of stock for the foreseeable future. That said, I did realize my sub also has high-level speaker line inputs, so I can really go with any stereo amp and wire in parallel if I feel my speakers need it.

So that said, I would love any opinions on the following setup:

• Option 1: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Emotiva BasX A-100 ($229) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 2: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Emotiva BasX A-300 ($399, but may be discontinued) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 3: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Crown-XLS-1002 ($339) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 4: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Cambridge Audio AXA35 ($349) --> Kef Q150
  • Option 5: Tidal MQA --> SMSL M500 DAC --> Liquid Spark (as a preamp and headphone amp) --> Cambridge Audio AXA25 ($225) --> Kef Q150

My goals are as follows: the cleanest most musical nearfield low to mid volume listening for a desktop / bedroom setup.

As such I am leaning towards option 5. For the price, I think I prefer the Cambridge to the Emotiva based on reviews, and I think I can get away with the 25 watts (I hear Cambridge under measures and the Q150s are pretty easy to drive). The Crown seems designed for power and volume above all else.

Ready to pull the trigger on this final component of the system, so would really appreciate any advice.

Smislov

Hi,
I find in very good condition Senn HD 800 (second hand for 450eur). Can SMSL M500 drive this headphones?
Tnx

Smislov

Tnx...
...Good, good, good, good vibrations (oom bop bop)
She's giving me excitations (excitations, oom bop bop) ... :p

RichardK

Merry Christmas everyone!!

If you're not using the preamp part of the M500 is it best to put it at his highest 40 volume what makes it operating at 7volt or would it be better to leave it at 34 volume 4volt.

Naamloos.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

If you're not using the preamp part of the M500 is it best to put it at his highest 40 volume what makes it operating at 7volt or would it be better to leave it at 34 volume 4volt.

View attachment 101444
Whichever works best for the amp then headphone /speakers you're feeding it to. High sensitivity headphones (or speakers) and a powerful higher gain (headphone) amp might give you more room to manoeuvre on your amp volume dial if you use it at 4v/34. By the way, there is no "preamp mode", it's just got variable digital volume so set it at whatever level you like. If full 40 best, so be it.

Does anyone have an m500 connected via usb to a raspberry pi running PiCorePlayer? Am wondering what the squeezelite ‘output setting’ field needs to be in PiCorePlayer to get this arrangement working. Any help appreciated. At the moment, I’m using an optical connection to my m500 via a HiFiberry board on the Pi, but on another thread i read that a usb connection may produce better results.

Last edited:

RichardK

Whichever works best for the amp then headphone /speakers you're feeding it to. High sensitivity headphones (or speakers) and a powerful higher gain (headphone) amp might give you more room to manoeuvre on your amp volume dial if you use it at 4v/34. By the way, there is no "preamp mode", it's just got variable digital volume so set it at whatever level you like. If full 40 best, so be it.

Thanks for the explanation. And you're right my volume control is more subtle on 4v/34 after some back and forth maneuvering

Last edited:

Palex

SMSL M500 - SW: 1.5
- HW: 1.2, updating doesn't take place. I bought in October, 2019 (the guarantee has ended). Question: it makes sense to buy SMSL SU9

Or to remain with SMSL M500?

NorthGraves

- HW: 1.2, updating doesn't take place. I bought in October, 2019 (the guarantee has ended). Question: it makes sense to buy SMSL SU9

None of the firmware or hardware updates make any audible difference.

1.5_1.2 stuck on 1.05 plays exactly the same as 1.7_1.3 updated to 2.06.

icsi85

As a "beginner" i think in your chain that wouldn't do much, or nothing.
Same chip, same manufacturer implementation.

For my liking M500 is a great product. My next step was a headphone amp, the xDuoo TA-20, it was better with my K712 Pro, than THX 789.
I think with alot of headphones you dont need an amp whit this dac, i just wanted more fun in my listening.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Does anyone have an m500 connected via usb to a raspberry pi running PiCorePlayer? Am wondering what the squeezelite ‘output setting’ field needs to be in PiCorePlayer to get this arrangement working. Any help appreciated. At the moment, I’m using an optical connection to my m500 via a HiFiberry board on the Pi, but on another thread i read that a usb connection may produce better results.
Did you got your answer?

I can test this afternoon if you need it anymore.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor

View attachment 101444
I would set it to 35. At that level, it handles 3 dB of intersample overs. At 40, it clips everything above 0 dBFs. I measured these results with test tones.

Did you got your answer?

I can test this afternoon if you need it anymore.

No, I haven’t received an answer yet. I did try a few different settings a while ago, but no joy, hence buying the hifiberry board. I would still like to get the pi working with the m500 via usb if possible to see whether i can pick any improvements in sound quality over optical. Any help appreciated :)

Top Bottom