• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
So I finally got my unit and the screen was mostly busted. I was able to get it to play by just hitting buttons on the remote and the sound was absolutely incredible on my Amiron Homes. I used it for a few days in that broken state while waiting for the replacement unit from Amazon and... the replacement unit came this morning, but totally dead on arrival; it won't even power on.

Has anyone else had similar quality control issues? I LOVED the sound, but I am afraid that even if I get a working unit on the third try, it will just break down the line if the quality is so poor. Would appreciate any insight!
Luckily I hadn't returned the first unit yet. I tried the power cable from the first unit and the second one fired right up. Hopefully not a sign of things to come, but glad it is working.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Next question (thanks everyone for putting up with me).

I seem to have the opposite volume issue as a number of people.

Admittedly, I generally like to listen at somewhat lower volumes than most people, but the loudest I find myself comfortably going on my Amiron Home headphones through the headphone out is literally 1 or 2; 4 or 5 feels like ear damage. Sometimes I wish I could go lower than 1, hence my question.

I am running Tidal through UAPP, so UAPP uses the M500 for the full MQA decode and thus disables software volume. I assume there is not an easy solution, but just curious if there is something obvious I didn't consider.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Yup. It's not ear shattering at one or two, just loud. When I use line out into my kef eggs I am around 15

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Next question (thanks everyone for putting up with me).

I seem to have the opposite volume issue as a number of people.

Admittedly, I generally like to listen at somewhat lower volumes than most people, but the loudest I find myself comfortably going on my Amiron Home headphones through the headphone out is literally 1 or 2; 4 or 5 feels like ear damage. Sometimes I wish I could go lower than 1, hence my question.

I am running Tidal through UAPP, so UAPP uses the M500 for the full MQA decode and thus disables software volume. I assume there is not an easy solution, but just curious if there is something obvious I didn't consider.
As an additional fact, the volume is locked in UAPP because it is in bit perfect mode. Since turning that off would mess with the MQA process, that doesn't seem like a good option. Any other ideas?

NorthGraves

Attachments

• 2020-12-04_084454.png
    2020-12-04_084454.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 175

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
And when you are running Tidal through Tidal?
Same exclusive mode with locked volume.
This setup is by my work laptop, so I can't download the tidal app. I have been running off of my old phone instead.

I did a test with the native TIDAL app on my phone (vs UAPP). It auto upsamples everything to 192khz and doesn't process the MQA on the DAC (I get the high res logo instead of the MQA logo). That said, it fixes the volume issue! I have to push up to around 15 to get to the equivalent of 1 or 2 in UAPP.

I really don't want to give up MQA as it was a big reason I bought this DAC. I will test with a personal laptop next to see if streaming through the desktop TIDAL app works any better than UAPP on Android and report back.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi guys. New here, but been enjoying reading @amirm reviews from time to time :)

Looking to get an M500 and was wondering if it will be worth the upgrade from a Node 2i DAC or a Marantz PM6005 DAC. Using a pair of Dali Zensor 3 speakers, so just an entry level setup. Looking to use it just as a DAC so as it has a volume knob I probably should have to keep it at max volume to use it as a pre-amp, right? Any other DACs worth taking in consideration at this price point to be used as DAC only?

Thank you.

Welcome! It's not very likely you'll hear a difference, but it is a very good DAC.

You can either leave it at max volume, or at whatever level gives you good volume control down the line. If the DAC has a high output with a sensitive amplifier, you may end up with it being way too loud at 9:00. If you turn down the DAC, you have more of an adjustable setup.

There are a lot that would do a great job, it just depends on what you need it to do. It takes a pretty bad DAC to actually sound bad.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
For a very standard audio path:

1) Source (PC USB for example)-->M500-->preamp with RCA ins only-->power amp-->speakers

2) Source (PC USB for example)-->M500-->headphone amplifier with RCA ins only-->headphones

To follow up on this, in setup #1, do you need the preamp or is that optional? For the power amp, does anyone have a good recommendation for something simple that pairs well with the M500 in the $300 to $500 range?

Onkyo A-9110? Crown XLS 1002?

Separately I am considering passive bookshelf speakers as well, but that seems to be a more straight forward decision.

Last edited:

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
For a very standard audio path:

1) Source (PC USB for example)-->M500-->preamp with RCA ins only-->power amp-->speakers

2) Source (PC USB for example)-->M500-->headphone amplifier with RCA ins only-->headphones

Also, in setup #2, I have a Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier I bought earlier this year when I was just getting started. Right now it is in a drawer. Should I be going RCA out into the liquid spark, or is the headphone amplifier in the m500 made with better components?

(I am also curious if this might solve the too high volume issues I mentioned in my other posts.)

NorthGraves

do you need the preamp or is that optional?
Never tried, but optional, I would think.

Onkyo A-9110? Crown XLS 1002?
Either one should do the job.

A-9110 - supposed to be more musical, has a preamp built-in (it's an integrated amplifier).
But way less power/control over the speakers (30W into 8 Ohm).

Crown - the opposite on everything. Less musical, no preamp, but should have amazing control over the speakers (215W into 8 Ohm).
Again - _supposed_ to be. Never heard either one.

Should I be going RCA out into the liquid spark, or is the headphone amplifier in the m500 made with better components
RCA outs of course:).

You can also run the preouts from the Monolith into the power amplifier (the two RCA outs with "P").

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
RCA outs of course:).

You can also run the preouts from the Monolith into the power amplifier (the two RCA outs with "P").
Thanks as always!! I am a bit surprised since the monolith was only $100. But I guess the headphone amp in the M500 is more of an afterthought compared to the DAC itself?

Azreil24

Welcome! It's not very likely you'll hear a difference, but it is a very good DAC.

You can either leave it at max volume, or at whatever level gives you good volume control down the line. If the DAC has a high output with a sensitive amplifier, you may end up with it being way too loud at 9:00. If you turn down the DAC, you have more of an adjustable setup.

There are a lot that would do a great job, it just depends on what you need it to do. It takes a pretty bad DAC to actually sound bad.

Thank you for the info. Don't know why I wrote Zensor 3, as I have the Zensor 7. Looking to upgrade to the Opticon 6s and hope I can fit in the budget an Atoll IN200 Signature, so wanted to go for a better DAC and use the Node 2i just as a streamer. Too bad it doesn't support external DACs through USB.

Toku

Major Contributor
I will report again the points of concern using the M500.

1. When the XLR balanced output of the M500 is connected to a power amplifier, a large pop noise appears when the power is turned off with the front panel or remote control. It does not occur at all with RCA unbalanced connections. Pop noise comes out at a constant level regardless of the volume level. This is especially important for power amplifiers that do not have volume at the input.

2. Sound leaks to the RCA/XLR audio output when the volume is increased in headphone mode.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Reading so many issues, seems like this product is overpriced.
I will say that if you get one with the new firmware already installed, which should be everything sold today I believe, the problems are very minimal and the sound quality and components are as good as something twice the price. I love it.

alfredinho

I will say that if you get one with the new firmware already installed, which should be everything sold today I believe, the problems are very minimal and the sound quality and components are as good as something twice the price. I love it.
What is the latest HW and SW version?
Do you really think other dac have to cost double the price so it sounds like m500?
Can you please elaborate which other dac have you compared against m500? Thanks

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
What is the latest HW and SW version?
Do you really think other dac have to cost double the price so it sounds like m500?
Can you please elaborate which other dac have you compared against m500? Thanks
I have only done an A/B versus dragonfly black (which is much cheaper), but that test was literally night and day. Mainly, I have done hours and hours of research on the ESS chips and other components inside, how it tests, etc. Read back through this thread. It has most of the answers you are asking about.

icsi85

Reading so many issues, seems like this product is overpriced.

I don't know about the pricing, i bought it (new fw) :D
What i like
- ESS, realy analitical
- Balanced
- Powerfull amp ( pared to thx 789, the soundtage is good, but less depth)
- The size (not stackable, but for my place its great)

A pared it with xduoo ta-20.

Top Bottom