• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Grawl

Is it possible to disable the amplification part of this DAC? I want to use a separate amp.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it possible to disable the amplification part of this DAC? I want to use a separate amp.
I think the amplification is disabled when you use the provided RCA/ XLR connections. Use Line Out and it does just that!

Shoaibexpert

Any idea if the M500 reclocks or correct jitter for incoming optical streams and how it does that? Amir's D50 did that with Chromecast Audio and I was wondering if the M500 also did that?

w1000i

Forum Donor
It seems v1.3 headphone section had different component than v1.2

REview > http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-3744&lang=

11.jpg

10.jpg

w1000i

Forum Donor
I feel M500 is a bargain. I got mine for a great price from Aoshida HiFi after negotiating from their customer service and $199 + the 100+ or so dollars I paid for say the extra amp (I never use) and the MQA feature seemed totally worth it! With the V2 the measurements are on par with DX7PRO and D90 and it's like less than half the price...not sure if anyone else has called the M500 a rip off?!
I believe m500 the cheapest perfect dac/amp. It has a super dac and very very good amp and balance out with mqa and latest usb chip XMOS XU-216

Shoaibexpert

It seems v1.3 headphone section had different component than v1.2

REview > http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-3744&lang=

11.jpg

10.jpg
Nice pics. I know if I open my unit, I won't be able to putbit together .

Any specific component changed or improved over HW1.2? What does M500 use as compared to the more expensive Accusilicon chips used in DX7Pro/D90 and does that do any jitter correction on optical signal inputs?

w1000i

Forum Donor

Any specific component changed or improved over HW1.2? What does M500 use as compared to the more expensive Accusilicon chips used in DX7Pro/D90 and does that do any jitter correction on optical signal inputs?

I don't know about jitter but for the usb is very will control and I don't see why optical is different.
for the amp section the layout slightly change and I don't know how it improved.

w1000i

Forum Donor

If you are interested in a better timing correction (As per advertisement) for all input check > DAART Yulong Aquila II

robertospeed

Does S.M.S.L M500 sound like Topping D70 or D90? I read the reviews of the S.M.S.L M500 here, but I didn't understand it very well, I don't understand English well and I use the translator.
And a good Dac? before I had the Topping D50 and it sounded good for me, now I'm looking for another Dac.

RangerXML

Once the -16db is eliminated in the driver settings, its a line lvl output at full volume (or at the volume setting of 40). The amp portion is for headphones.

k525

Hi all

I just realized that my M500 cannot reproduce sampled content at 768Kkz, I tried to connect it to 2 different macs, a Windows PC with ASIO and also to a Rasperry, changed the USB cable, the contents at 768Khz are always considerably distorted, I have also used several upsamplers (Roon and HQPlayer) the highest sampling rate that works well is 705Khz.
Do your M500s have the same problem?

Bye thank you

HifiFan

Happy M500 owner here. I'm using balanced output to my tube preamp. The combination is perfect for me: detail retrieval on M500 DAC while musicality on the preamp. Shameles plug :

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi all

I just realized that my M500 cannot reproduce sampled content at 768Kkz, I tried to connect it to 2 different macs, a Windows PC with ASIO and also to a Rasperry, changed the USB cable, the contents at 768Khz are always considerably distorted, I have also used several upsamplers (Roon and HQPlayer) the highest sampling rate that works well is 705Khz.

Bye thank you
The symptoms of your M500 are similar to the problems encountered in previous versions.

What are the HW Ver and SW Ver displayed when the power is turned on?
What is the version of USB firmware?

k525

The symptoms of your M500 are similar to the problems encountered in previous versions.

What are the HW Ver and SW Ver displayed when the power is turned on?
What is the version of USB firmware?
Hi

SW 1.6 HW 1.3
I am connected with Linux now and I cannot get ASIO version, so you have any suggestion?
Regard

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi

SW 1.6 HW 1.3
I am connected with Linux now and I cannot get ASIO version, so you have any suggestion?
Regard
Open the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel and check the Revision on the Info tab. If it is v1.08 or later, the USB firmware is normal.

Attachments

• XMOS Panel.png
    XMOS Panel.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 192
  • XMOS Ver.png
    XMOS Ver.png
    6 KB · Views: 231

k525

Open the XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel and check the Revision on the Info tab. If it is v1.08 or later, the USB firmware is normal.

Connected to a PC: ASIO revision is 2.01

but still distortion at 768khz

Do you think it is broken?

k525

Hi all

Bye thank you

Hi is there someone that can confirm me that is upsampling to 768Khz without distortion?

Best regards

Top Bottom