• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

NorthGraves

SW: 1.4 HW: 1.2 2019-07-28 is displayed.
Mine is 1.5; 1.2, but:

1) Make sure XMOS 4.67 driver is installed

2) Try Foobar + ASIO plugin (not ASIO proxy) + SACD plugin
2019-11-30_141708.png

3) Try a different DSD file (to rule out the possibility of your file having noise in it)

No issues on this file for example:
2019-11-30_141708.png

NorthGraves

One last thing: is your M500 being used as DAC-only or DAC+HPA?
Mine is DAC only. Using baslanced line output to the HPA.
Could that matter? Not likely, but still.

TC!!

Can we get some feedback from people on what SW version they are using. I'm wondering if the 1.08 update isn't working because of the SW version on the device. That would also fit in with the rumors that SMSL were holding back shipments of the M500 until they updated the SW.

For everyone that's tried the 1.08 update could you please post whether it was successful or not and whether you have SW 1.4 or 1.5.

There was another post from someone who got a reply from SMSL which suggested there was an issue with some devices being able to upgrade. This says 1.7 but I think they're talking about the previous 1.07 update:

S.M.S.L answer: "V1.7 isn't suitable for all M500.
So we delete it from website.

But if you upgrade to 1.7 without any issue, then it will be okay.»

Jaysz

Mine was 1.07 then updated to v1.08 but now shows v1.05
Sw1.4 hw 1.2

Gerryh

Forum Donor
I just bought a red unit - the shipment was delayed while the factory updated or re-shipped the unit to the seller through Ali Express. I have updated to 1.08 and have SW 1.05.

Playback of MQA, Hi-res (up to 24/192) and DSD (up to DSD64) have some issues:

MQA: Get a pop/click when switching to MQA format. I also get pops/clicks between songs at 192k MQA, and some at 96k.
DSD : Get a pop / click when switching to DSD format. No pops/clicks between songs.
Hi Res: Get a pop/click when switching to Hi Res. No pops/ clicks between songs.

All playback is through Roon 1.7 through a MacBook Pro USB to the Dac to headphone out.

Seems like the unit makes noise switching format, and that MQA is particularly bad. A bit disappointing .

szhchen

I just bought a red unit - the shipment was delayed while the factory updated or re-shipped the unit to the seller through Ali Express. I have updated to 1.08 and have SW 1.05.
SW should be 1.5 not 1.05

MQA: Get a pop/click when switching to MQA format. I also get pops/clicks between songs at 192k MQA, and some at 96k.
DSD : Get a pop / click when switching to DSD format. No pops/clicks between songs.
Hi Res: Get a pop/click when switching to Hi Res. No pops/ clicks between songs.

"pops/clicks between songs" means between 2 tracks- one track ends then pop/click before next tack?

Or you are just like my M500. Get numerous random pops/clicks in DSD256 track?
But I have no pop/click at any MQA situation (during playback/ changing tracks )

HW 1.2
SW 1.5
USB firmware 1.08(showing 1.05)

MQA: No pop/click when switching to MQA format. No pops/clicks between songs.
DSD : Get a pop / click when switching to DSD format. No pops/clicks between songs. Random pops/clicks in DSD256 track
PCM: No pop/click when switching to Hi Res. No pops/ clicks between songs Random pops/clicks in DXD track

Roon 1.7 Windows 10 1909
USB to DAC to THX789

Last edited:

Gerryh

Forum Donor
Yes sorry 1.5 SW - typo.

The clicks are between the tracks, and even advancing the track - it seems like the Dac has to figure out what the signal is first then process it. Once the track is playing with no advancing or skip forward/back a track it is fine. Just advancing or moving tracks causes it to click.

Alerma

Weird... The 'instructions' text file inside the latest 1.08 USB update says:
Code:
Version note:

1.06 first release

1.07 fixed the android phones sound small problem! with canceling the volume adjust the function of USB.

1.08 fixed the 32bit can not be played.
So, it means the problematic M500 units revert to some 'pre-release' 1.05 firmware version after their updates!?

Palex

I updated several times till 1.08 - it isn't UPDATED! On all questions S.M.S.L, can't explain the reason. The situation, not decent - so is impossible!

Toku

Major Contributor
Oops! A little strange!
I think there are two types of USB drivers?

For USB driver that correctly display v1.08
No volume tab
SMSL USB AUDIO is displayed in the Product column

For the USB driver displayed as v1.05
There is a volume tab
SMSL M500 is displayed in the Product column

Why is the same USB driver installed but different?
Is the installed driver different?
I'm not sure.

Last edited:

NorthGraves

For Topping DX7 Pro:
To gain access to pure DAC mode, where volume is locked, you must enter a special settings mode.
This mode is accessed by powering down the unit, then powering it back on while holding down the volume wheel button.
There are a few options which can only be found here, DAC Mode among them.

No such option for M500?
I.e. turn off the whole amplification circuit.

pcdinh

Playback of MQA, Hi-res (up to 24/192) and DSD (up to DSD64) have some issues:

All playback is through Roon 1.7 through a MacBook Pro USB to the Dac to headphone out.

Seems like the unit makes noise switching format, and that MQA is particularly bad. A bit disappointing .

I think that SMSL team will release new firmware update soon.

szhchen

Oops! A little strange!
I think there are two types of USB drivers?

For USB driver that correctly display v1.08
No volume tab
SMSL USB AUDIO is displayed in the Product column

For the USB driver displayed as v1.05
There is a volume tab
SMSL M500 is displayed in the Product column

Why is the same USB driver installed but different?
Is the installed driver different?
I'm not sure.
The volume tab shouldn't exist if firmware is 1.07 or 1.08.
I think driver on OS is identical. Driver info revison stuck at 1.05 really mean the XMOS firmware stuck at 1.05 or 1.06.
I hope this can fix by user. But I think they fucked up since it is the first XMOS XU216 device they make.
I have decided to return my device. And Order Aune :p

Last edited:

bluehorseshoe

Thanks for sharing! Those results were about what I was expecting, honestly.

After getting caught up on the discussion, if I were to pick up an M500 on Amazon, would I be getting the newer HW revision?
I ordered via Amazon early last week. Got the newer revision... of course YMMV

Top Bottom