• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Jaysz

My filters are only selectable with mqa and a large volume drop with slow filters.
Shouldn't mqa use no filters as dac auto selects settings for mqa
If updates only on ok for some models is there different versions.
Smsl don't seem to have any useful answers.

arn

I've got mine connected to the Shield, and it works fine.

which shield version? I have a problem with Shield 2019 + v90 dac via usb, after a couple of days the youtube app stops after seconds. if i restart the shield it works again. Another issue, if i restart the shield the hdmi is the default again, and i have to replug the usb dac.

With hdmi works 5+ days well.

niekos

there is a clicking or popping sound when switching sample rate or skipping tracks, there is also an issue where the filters should be disabled using MQA but are active.. then the filters will not do anything on regular material.. rca outputs bleed sound when switched to HP mode

no way the pop or click will affect any tweeter.. it does not get louder with volume control, it is a fixed level and very moderate.. I find the filter problems to be an issue I was hoping to fix with a firmware update. I do not have a PC to do an update with... the filters will engage with MQA but not with other material.. it is supposed to be the opposite. some are saying they are playing with fire with MQA accreditation

Yes, that is true, it is a very moderate sound, noticed it first when listening on headphones. When using the line output I do not really seem to hear it/it does not really bother me.

About the filters: how do we know the filters are actually used in MQA mode?

Charles0322

Yes, that is true, it is a very moderate sound, noticed it first when listening on headphones. When using the line output I do not really seem to hear it/it does not really bother me.

About the filters: how do we know the filters are actually used in MQA mode?
You can use the filters when playing MQA but I have not had much luck with them on material that is not MQA. MQA says the only filter should be the MQA one when playing MQA and all others should be disabled. It is the reverse on the unit as far as I can tell.

szhchen

I’ve had the M500 for about a month now and until just a few days ago I also experienced various similar problems as many report in the forum of an subtile popping sound in between tracks and on various occasions in tracks or changing track. This really made me believe the DAC was faulty as I have a pretty good technical understanding and tried to solve it in any way possible (drivers, software, OS, connections, EC, jitter etc).

So after being annoyed at this problem for a while I simply tried what I least expected solving anything and changed the USB connector in the PC from USB 2.0 to USB 1.0 and voila, problem solved and heaven unfolded as I finally was able to enjoy the crispy wonders of MQA delivered as smooth as silk. Maybe it was due to non compatible drivers etc.but this solved it for me and I believe many experiences similar error.

When it comes to optical signal from TV there was also a sound problem solved by changing the audio output format in the audio menu of the TV.

The golden rule is to suspect user error first while exploring new technologies such as the M500 and secondly be careful of prematurely judging the device in reviews as it really can make benefiters believe there is something wrong with it rather than the competence. .

I have some audio device with XMOS interface also pops on USB 3.0 and only work properly on USB 2.0. But SMSL clans that M500 support sample rate over 24bit/384KHz or DSD256.

DSD256 data rate > 441000*256*2=22.579 Mbps
which is impossible to fit into USB 1.1 data rate 12 Mbps. I don't think using a USB 2.0 port is a user error.

Last edited:

niekos

You can use the filters when playing MQA but I have not had much luck with them on material that is not MQA. MQA says the only filter should be the MQA one when playing MQA and all others should be disabled. It is the reverse on the unit as far as I can tell.
So you mean the filters from the filters menu? I can use them in both normal and MQA mode. I do not seem to hear any difference btw.
But what I meant was if the filters are still accessible when playing MQA are they actually still applied?

Charles0322

So you mean the filters from the filters menu? I can use them in both normal and MQA mode. I do not seem to hear any difference btw.
But what I meant was if the filters are still accessible when playing MQA are they actually still applied?

It only changes sound (applying filters) when selecting filters on MQA. When cycling through filters on non MQA there is no change in sound for me

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I bought this on the recommendation of a fellow member, and it fixed my problem of audio dropout from the TV optical spdif. Thank you for the heads up on this device!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BIQER0E/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I've got the M500 doing full preamp/dac duty into my Bryston 4B3 and it sounds awesome. This quality balanced for $400 msrp is rediculous.

Charles0322

I bought this on the recommendation of a fellow member, and it fixed my problem of audio dropout from the TV optical spdif.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BIQER0E/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I've got the M500 doing full preamp/dac duty into my Bryston 4B3 and it sounds awesome. This quality balanced for $400 msrp is rediculous.
Agreed. What an amp! If you use this dac with that quality amp it also says a lot about trusting the m500 quality. I feed my mos-fet amps from the XLR outs and have had crystal clear benefits over other dacs I own

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Yea, I love my 4B3. It's cost was insane but I really have no regrets buying it new. It's a beautiful piece of (over) engineering that's so damn impressive. It sounds absolutely wonderful as well. It also supports a great company and North American jobs.

But yes, the M500 is absolutely amazing. Boutique DAC manufacturers should be really worried.

Toku

Major Contributor
The M500 is a good DAC if it is used only for playback of PCM 384 kHz or lower and MQA.
There is a big problem with playback of DSD and high bit rate PCM.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can it be used as a pre-amp for a power amplifier?

edit: It seems it does :D

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Will it remember it's volume setting and that it is in pre-amp mode after being unplugged? I don't want hundreds of Watts blasting through my speakers by accident.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it remember it's volume setting and that it is in pre-amp mode after being unplugged?
I see no reason it won't.
I don't want hundreds of Watts blasting through my speakers by accident
For that kind of usage, whatever the gear used: Always turn on your preamp first, check the volume and only then turn your power amp!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I ordered one.

Is the RCA output 2v with the volume maxed?

Last edited:

szhchen

The M500 is a good DAC if it is used only for playback of PCM 384 kHz or lower and MQA.
There is a big problem with playback of DSD and high bit rate PCM.
My unit have continuous pop even at 352kHz PCM.
M500 is silicon lottery dac.

unklez

I bought my open box at Amazon. Someone returned it and works fine for me. Any known bugs I need to test for? I set it at 24 bit 384k in Windows. I'm using my own USB cable instead of SMSL one.

szhchen

I bought my open box at Amazon. Someone returned it and works fine for me. Any known bugs I need to test for? I set it at 24 bit 384k in Windows. I'm using my own USB cable instead of SMSL one.
what is your operating system version? motherboard chipset?

Top Bottom